Solo The Children's Tabernacle;/Hand Work and Heart Work-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

The Children's Tabernacle; Or, Hand Work and Heart Work by Charlotte Maria Tucker (1821 - 1893).

Bored with whittling, embroidery, and other amusements, five children and their mother set out to build a model of the tabernacle, using the book of Exodus as their guide. As the pillars are fashioned and the curtains sewn, the children learn the importance of types in the Old Testament. The showbread on the table in the Holy Place is a type of Christ being the bread of life; the offerings for leprosy were a type of cleansing from sin; the Holy of Holies was a type of God's presence, etc. One day, though, twelve-year-old Dora finds herself in trouble. Will the way be opened for her--from a mere tabernacle model to a new knowledge of forgiveness? ( Bethesda Lily)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/49643
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Religious Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: old testament, children's fiction, tabernacle, types

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Children's Tabernacle; Or, Hand Work and Heart Work. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Children's Tabernacle; Or, Hand Work and Heart Work, by Charlotte Maria Tucker. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Children's Tabernacle; Or, Hand Work and Heart Work by Charlotte Maria Tucker. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Children's Tabernacle; Or, Hand Work and Heart Work, by Charlotte Maria Tucker. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename childrenstabernacle_##_tucker_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. childrenstabernacle_01_tucker_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by bethesdalily on March 14th, 2016, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bethesda Lily

"My soul waits for the Lord as watchmen for the morning, as watchmen for the morning" (Psalm 130:6).
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

A few things I would like an MC to know: Although this will be my first solo recording, I have contributed eight sections already. One has been marked PL OK, two are very near being fixed, and the rest have not been PL'ed yet because the DPLs are away.

That said, I believe I am ready to try my hand at this type of recording. I have done recording/reading for other non-LV personal projects before and am very comfortable with the technical aspects of recording, editing, etc.

The one thing I should probably mention is that I am totally blind and use JAWS for Windows. This shouldn't be a problem, as I believe I've found a way to use and edit the MW. However, I'd appreciate an MC who could commit to being on standby if for some reason I can't access said window. Thanks!

As far as the title for recorded files goes, I'm thinking it may be rather long. Although I plan to record the full title with each chapter, I'd like to propose a file name like
childrenstabernacle_##_tucker_128kb.mp3

Thanks in advance for the feedback and support, and I look forward to working with you.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I can MC this - I'll be back with MW soon. Sounds an interesting story

Anne
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

Thank you so much, Anne! I've been excited about this project ever since really beginning to participate on Librivox a few weeks ago.
Bethesda Lily

"My soul waits for the Lord as watchmen for the morning, as watchmen for the morning" (Psalm 130:6).
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You have a MW , you don't need ID tags so I have removed them
I've shortened the file name .
And I would suggest you just read the book name as "The Children's Tabernacle" and not read the alternate title or maybe only read it at the beginning and the end

I'll be back with MW instructions

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I haven't ever had a Jaws using Soloist though I have done a number of projects with Miss Stav as the BC and she has only problems with one bit , which will not apply to a Solo
to access the MW you need a new password . The instructions are here . Don't hesitate to ask if there are any problems , most people find it a little puzzling at first but I think it's easier to answer problems as they happen
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Anne
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

Hi, Anne,

I believe I have the MW filled in with pertinent information. Let me know if I've neglected anything.

As far as the full, rather elaborate book title goes, I would normally agree that it should be shortened--or perhaps read only at the beginning and end of the book. However, it seems to be a gray area as far as this work specifically is concerned. The author wrote it to be a rather solemn, instructive book--more so even than most titles of its kind. If she herself ever read it to a class during her lifetime, would she incorporate the full title to keep the audience centered on the deeper meaning, so to speak? Throughout the book, there is an external plot and an internal conflict; I feel that the two titles as spoken in their entirety would do better justice to the author's multi-layered intent... Or am I just being far, far too old-fashioned for even a literary venue like Librivox!?

I do realize that the preface is quite short, but I feel it should remain as a separate file. Depending on the listeners, having an instructive preface--something like a contemporary note to parents--included in a chapter designed primarily for plot setup and engagement of the intended young audience--might distract from the listening pleasure more than simply separating it out would.

Also--and I suppose I ought to have asked about this beforehand--the book proper really contains twenty-one chapters. At the end is a series of short stories unrelated to The Children's Tabernacle. These are not snippets or first chapters but full-length short works. Since they're present in the text from which I'm reading, I'm thinking it would still be appropriate to read them, random though they seem as placed here. What do you think?

Am I ready to begin recording now, or should I wait for a DPL? Thank you!
Bethesda Lily

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

This looks interesting! May I be your DPL?
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

Rachel, I'd love to have you DPL! I've actually been browsing through some of the projects you've worked on in the past, and The Children's Tabernacle sounds as if it might be up your alley.
Bethesda Lily

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I had to go and buy some food but am back now.

You can start reading without a DPL - it often happens

Well done with the MW. I'm glad the instructions worked for the screen reader. As far as I know , the only thing that you won't be able to do is add the readers names to the MW - but I always fill them in when it is a Solo. It was a poor programming decision and is on our list of changes - the readers are added from a drop down menu and there is no keyboard shortcut, you need a mouse. But this is only a problem with group works and the MC or DPL just steps in

Welcome Rachel - you should have access now

The full title is up to you , soloists have a free rein for style things. I like full titles in general , but it does make a long intro if it's a short section :D .

Think that is all answered

Anne

And I think it is fine to read the end extra bits :D
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

Rachel, the preface is ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/childrenstabernacle_00_tucker_128kb.mp3
1:59

Annise, when creating a file name, I did not see 128kb at the end. Since I read that your servers now need this for processing and cataloguing, I took the liberty of adding it.
Bethesda Lily

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thank you . I've added it to the template

Anne
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Preface is PL OK! I'm looking forward to this.
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

Here's Chapter I:
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/childrenstabernacle_01_tucker_128kb.mp3
14:24

Enjoy! I probably won't have the next chapter up until sometime next week, so you'll get a tiny break. Thanks!
Bethesda Lily

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

I've been out this weekend, but I'll try and PL tomorrow.
Rachel