Results of first LibriVox Recording Jamboree

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Thought I'd post this in a new thread to get some more viewers, and inspire other volunteers to participate in the next jamboree - our March jamboree on the first weekend in March (4th & 5th).

What happens during a LibriVox jamboree, you may ask? Simple: everyone makes a special effort to record and edit as much as they can, and all participants keep each other updated in a special jamboree forum thread, and there's a lot of back-patting, ego massaging, whinging, self-congratulation, and *achieving* going on - some people even find the time to watch the superbowl in all this jamboreeing! :)

In our first jamboree (see here) the following was achieved (if I've forgotten something, please post and I'll update!):
  1. Recorded & edited Tale of Two Cities section 22
  2. Recorded & edited Oliver Twist 2
  3. Recorded & edited Oliver Twist 3
  4. Recorded & edited If (poem)
  5. Recorded & edited Dog in the Manger - Recorded & edited
  6. Recorded & edited Weekly Poem - If
  7. Recorded & edited Phantom of the Opera - Ch. 7
  8. Recorded & edited Sadhana - Ch. 6
  9. Recorded & edited Sadhana - Ch. 7
  10. Recorded & edited Sadhana - Ch. 4
  11. Recorded & edited Ecclesiastes
  12. Recorded & edited Sadhana - Ch. 3
  13. Recorded & edited Songs of Innocence and Experience - 1, 2, 3, 4, 32, 44, 45, 46, 47
  14. Recorded & edited Richard II - Narration - Acts 1-5
  15. Recorded & edited Ulysses Ch. 8 - first half
  16. Recorded & edited 8, 9, 10, 11 Huck Finn - as much as I can possibly do!
  17. Recorded & edited Weekly Poem - The Song My Paddle Sings
  18. Recorded & edited Gunga Din for Short Poetry Volume 004
  19. Recorded & edited Canterbury Tales: The Cook's Tale
  20. Recorded & edited Dracula ch 6
  21. Recorded & edited Dracula ch 22
  22. Recorded & edited Werther, 3 chapters
  23. Recorded & edited The Importance of Being Earnest, Act 2 (the role of Algernon)
  24. Recorded & edited If (Weekly poem)
  25. Recorded Secret Garden ch 16
  26. Recorded Dracula ch 7
  27. Recorded Dracula ch 10
  28. Recorded Anne of Avonlea (couple of pp)
  29. Edited Buch der Lieder: Traumbilder
  30. Edited Bierce, Present at a Hanging
  31. Edited White Fang Part 5 Chapter 4
Other (non-reading/editing) notable achievements during jamboree weekend:
Scanned Pan Tadeusz (so it can be read for LibriVox)
Opened New collaborative project: Bierce's Devil's Dictionary
Knitted Scarf-almost-big-enough-to-be-a-shawl piece

Also, we shouldn't forget all other LibriVoxers out there who recorded and edited and toiled and just didn't realise the jamboree weekend was on!

We'll advertise the next one prior to the weekend so everyone knows (and whoever starts it, can perhaps keep track of achievements in the first post!) - but keep 4/5 March pencilled in your calendar!

Thanks everyone for participating! (more back-patting, ego massaging etc...)
Last edited by Gesine on February 6th, 2006, 4:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
kayray

Post by kayray »

Wow... thanks for posting that summary, Gesine! It is quite impressive that together we accomplished so much.

kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

you will note that the sheepish Hugh accomplished: zero.

but kudos to those who delivered!
RobertG

Post by RobertG »

Hmmm...

I suspect this list is not complete. I don't remember spending my weekend dancing with girls in calico dresses!
[size=92]http://climber53.com
[i]a one thin dime production[/i][/size]
[size=75][color=blue]-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-[/color]
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/RobertGarrison]project status is in the wiki[/url][/size]
heatherausten

Post by heatherausten »

I forgot about the jamboree, but managed to get a couple pages of Anne of Avonlea recorded, anyway. Serendipity! :D
~Heather~
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

heatherausten wrote:I forgot about the jamboree, but managed to get a couple pages of Anne of Avonlea recorded, anyway. Serendipity!
Ah, but I *felt* you were there - so I've added you to our results list!

And Robert, have added your 3 chapters as well! :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
GordMackenzie

Post by GordMackenzie »

btw, I managed to complete the editing of Dracula Chapter 7 at lunch today... just missed the jamboree... but done is done!
Gord Mackenzie
gord[dot]mackenzie[at]gmail.com
Librivox Wiki Page: [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/GordMackenzie]GordMackenzie[/url]
rfrancis

Post by rfrancis »

Technically I recorded Dracula chapter 10 during the weekend. Not edited yet, though.

-R
[url=http://www.pendantaudio.com/bios/rfrancis.html]me[/url]
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Gesine wrote: Knitted Scarf-almost-big-enough-to-be-a-shawl piece
LOL! I also did six (yes, six) loads of laundry, does that count. :D

But, seriously, thanks for putting this together Gesine!
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
kayray

Post by kayray »

LibraryLady wrote:
Gesine wrote: Knitted Scarf-almost-big-enough-to-be-a-shawl piece
LOL! I also did six (yes, six) loads of laundry, does that count. :D
Yes! That means you'll have more time for doing librivox stuff later in the week :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

rfrancis - you're in the list!

Annie - no. Sorry. Jealousy prevents me. You must have one of those HUGE American-style washing machines, possibly with separate HUGE dryer - else where would you put 6 loads? And I struggle to put up 2 loads from my tiny (by comparison) machine. Can't dry outside because it'll start raining when I do, and there's only so much room on the clothes rack... which means that one practically needs to do laundry every few days in order to keep up, and the bloody clothes rack is always in the way... so there. If it had been 2 loads, even three, I'd have put you in the list. But six! No. Really. I'm sure you understand. ;)

But hey - we need one more person to come forward with a jamboree piece and we'll have 30! Pretty impressive. This should give our 15th Feb push quite a boost!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Ambrose Bierce: Present at a Hanging finally submitted.
raynr

Post by raynr »

Well, I didn't take part in the Jamboree insofar as I committed myself beforehand, but I put together the letters for three chapters of "Die Leiden des jungen Werther", recorded two more chapters and edited one of them during the weekend.
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Excellent, Peter!

Rainer - you did actually commit because you put it in your solo thread. You just *forgot* to post in the jamboree thread - or rather, you were too busy to record to do so.

Yay - more than 30 pieces!

Enough now.

Don't forget: join our March LibriVox Jamboree on weekend 4/5 March - target: at least 50 pieces recorded/edited! :)

Perhaps we should have countdown posts, the week before? "Prepare: 7 days to go to LibriVox Jamboree!" - "6 days to go to LibriVox Jamboree!" etc... during that week, people can post and say what they'd like to try and accomplish during the weekend. The first post can be updated with these things. Then, on the actual weekend, we can mark them all off as the reports and cheers are starting to come in - so it'll be much like a normal collaborative project but all... well... jamboreed!

Now all we need is a JV (Jamboree Coordinator), and I'm not volunteering.
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Gesine wrote:rfrancis - you're in the list!

Annie - no. Sorry. Jealousy prevents me. You must have one of those HUGE American-style washing machines, possibly with separate HUGE dryer - else where would you put 6 loads? And I struggle to put up 2 loads from my tiny (by comparison) machine. Can't dry outside because it'll start raining when I do, and there's only so much room on the clothes rack... which means that one practically needs to do laundry every few days in order to keep up, and the bloody clothes rack is always in the way... so there. If it had been 2 loads, even three, I'd have put you in the list. But six! No. Really. I'm sure you understand. ;)
LOL, okay Gesine, I understand. Are washing machines smaller in other countries?
Gesine wrote:Now all we need is a JV (Jamboree Coordinator), and I'm not volunteering.
Uh, I think you mean JC. And are you sure you're not volunteering? Sure seems like you have the whole thing figured out! :P
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman