[Complete] Mysteries of London Vol. 2 - Lynnet

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

The Mysteries of London Vol. II by George W. M. Reynolds (1814 - 1879).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-mysteries-of-london-vol-ii-by-george-w-m-reynolds/
The Mysteries of London was a best-selling novel in mid-Victorian England, published in four volumes. This is the second volume. Initially serialized in weekly installments, they were the forerunners of today's soap operas. Known as "Penny Dreadfuls", they had no claim to literary brilliance but offered readers entertainment and excitement in the form of vice, poverty, wealth, virtue, mystery, romance and scandal in every combination and reached a mass audience. ( Lynne Thompson)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51294
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( George W. M. Reynolds) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._M._Reynolds
    7. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mysteries_of_London
    8. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 123
    9. Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    10. Original publication date (if known): 1846
    11. If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900

Keywords that describe the book: Mystery, London, virtue, Scandal, popular, penny dreadful, vice, masses

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Mysteries of London Vol. II. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Mysteries of London Vol. II, by George W. M. Reynolds. [Section]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Mysteries of London Vol. II, by George W. M. Reynolds. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    mysteriesoflondon2_###_reynolds_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number (e.g. mysteriesoflondon2_001_reynolds_128kb.mp3)
    *Note: Please use the 3 digit format for file numbers.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Lynnet - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
[/list]
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

craigdav1 wrote:Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
Great!
Rahulapod

Post by Rahulapod »

Hey, we'd like to pick up a few stories from this. Starting with just the first one?

We'll be sending a test audio your way. Is ~2:30 good test audio for three people? This is our first time.

(Please be gentle.)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Rahulapod wrote:Hey, we'd like to pick up a few stories from this. Starting with just the first one?

We'll be sending a test audio your way. Is ~2:30 good test audio for three people? This is our first time.

(Please be gentle.)
First of all, welcome to Librivox!
Our 'rules' stipulate that each reader needs to be registered separately, even if you are all using the same equipment. So all three of you would need to become members rather than have one joint membership (same low fee 8-) ).
You would then each need to submit a one minute test (which is actually about 30 seconds...) http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test. Even though you may be using the same equipment, so that is set up correctly, one of you may have a problem with plosives, for example, or volume.
When you're all set up, feel free to claim as many sections as you like - but just one reader per section. Some projects may occasionally permit more; or you may be interested in looking at Dramatic Readings and Plays, where you select a part or role, rather than a section or chapter.
I look forward to seeing you back here when you are all set up.
Lynne
Rahulapod

Post by Rahulapod »

Lynnet wrote: First of all, welcome to Librivox!
Thanks for the welcome!
Lynnet wrote:Our 'rules' stipulate that each reader needs to be registered separately, even if you are all using the same equipment. So all three of you would need to become members rather than have one joint membership (same low fee 8-) ).
You would then each need to submit a one minute test (which is actually about 30 seconds...) http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test. Even though you may be using the same equipment, so that is set up correctly, one of you may have a problem with plosives, for example, or volume.
When you're all set up, feel free to claim as many sections as you like - but just one reader per section. Some projects may occasionally permit more; or you may be interested in looking at Dramatic Readings and Plays, where you select a part or role, rather than a section or chapter.
Lynne
Drat. We thought we were doing something cool by having multiple people working together on individual stories. I didn't really see anything against the rules for it, did I just overlook it, or is it more of an informal rule than anything else? I was going to be the narrator, and my two buddies would do voices, or variants on that. When you say that "some projects may occasionally permit more;" does that depend on the creator, or specific forum rules? Would multiple voices be inadmissible for a short story, but be acceptable for a dramatic piece, for instance? Or is it just that stories generally don't permit this sort of thing?

Also, we thought that the sample one minute test was just an example, since it was so drastically under one minute, so we've been working on a reading of "Memory" by H.P. Lovecraft. We thought that two and a half minutes was fine to demonstrate the reading qualities/equipment of three people, but given what's going on... I mean, should we just scrap that, then?

Thanks for the time, and sorry for all the questions. Have a good week!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Rahulapod wrote:
Lynnet wrote: First of all, welcome to Librivox!
Thanks for the welcome!
Lynnet wrote:Our 'rules' stipulate that each reader needs to be registered separately, even if you are all using the same equipment. So all three of you would need to become members rather than have one joint membership (same low fee 8-) ).
Lynne
Drat. We thought we were doing something cool by having multiple people working together on individual stories. I didn't really see anything against the rules for it, did I just overlook it, or is it more of an informal rule than anything else? I was going to be the narrator, and my two buddies would do voices, or variants on that. When you say that "some projects may occasionally permit more;" does that depend on the creator, or specific forum rules? Would multiple voices be inadmissible for a short story, but be acceptable for a dramatic piece, for instance? Or is it just that stories generally don't permit this sort of thing?

Also, we thought that the sample one minute test was just an example, since it was so drastically under one minute, so we've been working on a reading of "Memory" by H.P. Lovecraft. We thought that two and a half minutes was fine to demonstrate the reading qualities/equipment of three people, but given what's going on... I mean, should we just scrap that, then?

Thanks for the time, and sorry for all the questions. Have a good week!
I'm not sure if there is a written rule, but I know the question has come up before. We don't allow "guest appearances" without registration, but your friends are welcome to register.
The decision as to the format of the project is down to the Book Coordinator (in this case, me), who sets up the project and brings it all together. To be honest, I have only ever heard of 2 projects where more than one reader was involved in a single file... One was a total disaster and had to be ultimately rejected (extremely rare) and the other involved passages in a foreign language.
The type of reading you are talking about is what we call a Dramatic Reading... The Book Coordinator sets up a novel (usually) that has a lot of dialog, and has readers reading parts, as in a play, plus a narrator. I have never done one, but I understand there is a lot of work involved. Once you have (all) participated in group projects, you can set up your own project, using any format you like.
As for the test, I'd say hang on to the one you've been working on - you may be able to use it in a short story collection. You will need to do separate tests though. You do not have to use the text provided for your test, but that is long enough for the most common technical issues to show up; plus there are plenty of 'p', 'th' and 's' sounds to trip people up.
Rahulapod

Post by Rahulapod »

Hm. Got it.

My friends will register: in the mean time, we'll finish and send the test recording when we nail it down to the ground, and you can tell us whether or not you're cool with us trying something collaborative, or if you'd prefer something more orthodox.

Since you implied the less than one minute one minute test was okay, we'll also send you individual tests for each of us. Thanks for helping us out!
Rahulapod

Post by Rahulapod »

We finished the group test recording, and my friends will grab Librivox accounts as soon as they get home.

Sending the group test recording ASAP.
Rahulapod

Post by Rahulapod »

Hm. Reread your post, feel like I misunderstood it. I understand that you will not want us collaborating as a group for this project, and each recording various chapters separately? Sending out my individual audio test, then. I also have ones for both of my friends, but they don't have accounts yet, so it doesn't make sense to submit them.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Rahulapod wrote:Hm. Reread your post, feel like I misunderstood it. I understand that you will not want us collaborating as a group for this project, and each recording various chapters separately? Sending out my individual audio test, then. I also have ones for both of my friends, but they don't have accounts yet, so it doesn't make sense to submit them.
That is correct. I'm sorry, but I do not wish to have multiple readers on a single section in this project. There will be some way to use your recording, but just not here. You may wish to contact Bart, who organizes the Short Ghost and Horror stories Collection (look in the Readers Wanted:Short Works forum) and see if he is ok with your project.
Rahulapod

Post by Rahulapod »

Aye-aye! Thanks for the pointer.

I'll check with them, then. I still plan on recording at least one chapter for you, though. Can I take the first one, for just me myself and I?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Rahulapod wrote:Aye-aye! Thanks for the pointer.

I'll check with them, then. I still plan on recording at least one chapter for you, though. Can I take the first one, for just me myself and I?
Not the first, but you can have the second.
I will need to enter you in the catalog. How would you like to appear? Most of us use our real names, but a pseudonym or your forum name are fine, too. We can also link to a personal website or blog if you have one.
Rahulapod

Post by Rahulapod »

"Owen Bradford" or "Rahulapod" are both fine. I'll be using my real name for the actual reading.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Rahulapod wrote:"Owen Bradford" or "Rahulapod" are both fine. I'll be using my real name for the actual reading.
Ok, Owen, I've added you to the catalog. If you click on your name in the Magic Window, it will take you to your personal catalog page. I've also assigned section 2 to you, but please get the ok on your test first and be sure to read the first post. Any questions, just ask.