[SOLO]The Prince and the Pauper by Twain - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lsiebur1

Post by lsiebur1 »

The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain (1835 - 1910).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-prince-and-the-pauper-version-3-by-mark-twain/
Learning softeneth the heart and breedeth gentleness and charity.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1837
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Historical Fiction, Children's Literature

Keywords that describe the book: British, Classic, Children's, Drama, Europe, Literature, English, Humor, Politics, Satire, Survival

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Prince and the Pauper. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Prince and the Pauper, by Mark Twain. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Prince and the Pauper, by Mark Twain. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename princeandthepauper_##_twain.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. princeandthepauper_01_twain.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Mark Twain
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Prince and the Pauper

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      Use your BC workflow login
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dlolso21
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by lsiebur1 on December 27th, 2018, 7:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi
You'll need the number of sections filled in before anyone can pick this up.
In case you hadn't realised - this will be version 3 - it's OK for you to read it if you wish but many readers prefer not to read something that is already in the catalogue and it's better to find out before you start :D

Anne
lsiebur1

Post by lsiebur1 »

Hey there! I have updated the post to include the number of sections. I was hoping we could fill in some of the descriptive information after I complete the project. I understand this is possible, via the MC?

I noticed there was another solo project and a collaborative project, and I'm alright with that. :wink:
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Luke,

I can MC this for you.

MW is set up and tested.

David O
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Since this is your first solo, a few things.

1) You can edit the first post, especially the description, genre, and keywords - there is an "edit" button at the top right of the post when you are logged in. I can update/change in the database when it is time to catalog.

2) The ID tags are optional, they can be created from information in the database and the section compiler. If you do not intend to add them to each file you upload, please delete this section in the first post.

Quote:
Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Sara Ware Bassett
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Ted and the Telephone

3) As a soloist you are your own BC. Here is some information on how to access and manage the MW. There is a lot of information here, you might want to set up a bookmark in your browser.

Jo's simplified first-time login instructions (with pictures):
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

Workflow instructions for BC's and DPL's:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ
Now in the wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC%27s:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Once you set up a password in the Workflow, remember that it is stored separately from your forum password and that changing one will not change the other. Also, please use this combination of login and password for the uploader as the generic one normally pictured in group projects has only permissions in the workflow to upload files, nothing else.

Please let me know if you have any questions or problems,
David O
lsiebur1

Post by lsiebur1 »

Thanks for the tips David. I will shoot you a message if I have any questions about BCing.

I'd be very pleased if you'd be the DPL, ej400!

Unless you're asking the MC, in which case I HOPE you can be my DPL. :hmm:
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Luke,

As the BC, you get to select your DPL!

The MC makes the appropriate adjustments to the database once that selection is made. Elijah is now your DPL and should have MW access for this project.

I am moving this over to "Going Solo".

David O
lsiebur1

Post by lsiebur1 »

Section 01! I combined Chapter 1 and 2 in this section. I can change any information as necessary because of this (e.g., section Title, intro/outro speech, ID3 tags, etc.).

13:48
https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/princeandthepauper_01_twain.mp3

Text:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1837

Perhaps I should change my inflection at 9:41-9:47. "...he came to be looked up to, by them, with a sort of wondering awe..."

I want to say "by them" in a tone that implies "by them, at least." What do you think? I may also want to say "day by day" a little differently at 9:42.

Let me know if you hear any other strange inflections!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

You don't need to send me the gutenberg link, but that's okay. I think you should read the text how it is because other people will be listening to your recordings after this is completed and they will see that the text says "by them, at least", but you say otherwise.

I fixed the MW to how it should be whenever you have a recording in.

I will PL later,

Thanks. :D
Last edited by ej400 on February 29th, 2016, 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lsiebur1

Post by lsiebur1 »

Actually, the text says only, "by them" at that part. I do not want to add or remove any words there, just perhaps change the way I am saying them. "It's not what I said, but how I said it!"

I would say "by them" with a different inflection, implying that they were the only ones that looked up to him. I think that's what Twain intended, looking back. Let me know what you think!

Thanks for fixing the MW, and thanks for being the DPL!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Sir, I made a mistake, I meant to say "but you would be saying otherwise, but I think that it would be fine to change the way you say it."

Sir, I am very sorry about the mistake, you can let me not be the DPL if you want.

Can you please forgive me?

Sorry. :oops: :cry:
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

I just did a quick look through the text. Are you planning on reading "Justice and Retribution" at the end of Chapter 33 or as a separate chapter?
lsiebur1

Post by lsiebur1 »

ej400 wrote:Sir, I made a mistake, I meant to say "but you would be saying otherwise, but I think that it would be fine to change the way you say it."

Sir, I am very sorry about the mistake, you can let me not be the DPL if you want.

Can you please forgive me?

Sorry. :oops: :cry:
You're saying not to change the words, but the way they are said is up to me. Nothing to forgive. I'm pretty new to this, so I appreciate your patience. :wink:
dlolso21 wrote:I just did a quick look through the text. Are you planning on reading "Justice and Retribution" at the end of Chapter 33 or as a separate chapter?
I was planning to read it as a separate chapter, but I am open to reducing the number of sections if that would be too short of a file.
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Reading it as a separate chapter is fine. It can wait until you get that far on the book; you may need to add another section.