COMPLETE Perfect Behavior: A Guide by Donald Stewart -mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Stellalune

Post by Stellalune »

Perfect Behavior: A Guide for Ladies and Gentlemen in All Social Crises by Donald Ogden Stewart (1894 - 1980).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/perfect-behavior-by-donald-ogden-stewart-2/

( )
This solo project has been converted to a group project. Stellalune is the BC.
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1446
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Humor; Humorous Fiction
    Keywords that describe the book: parody, etiquette, guide
    ============================================
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Perfect Behavior: A Guide for Ladies and Gentlemen in All Social Crises. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Perfect Behavior: A Guide for Ladies and Gentlemen in All Social Crises, by Donald Ogden Stewart. Chapter [number, title]"

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Perfect Behavior: A Guide for Ladies and Gentlemen in All Social Crises, by Donald Ogden Stewart. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  4. Example filename perfectbehavior_##_stewart_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. perfectbehavior_01_stewart_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    • Any questions?
      Please post below
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Stella,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get things set up.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, you are all set up.

As a soloist, you will be your own BC for this project and will need to complete the MW and then post your links and times there as you go along.

You get to the MW by clicking the BC Admin link right below the MW. Use your forum name as the login. The first time you will need to click the "forgot password" button to get a password assigned.

Here are some useful links, including instructions on how to login and use the MW here:
First Time Logging in to the Workflow
Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.
BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

I've filled in the first few section titles to show you how it is done.

This is a nice size book for your first project, there's a bit to learn, so be sure to ask if you have any questions.

MaryAnn
Stellalune

Post by Stellalune »

Awesome! Thanks~
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Looks good. We will move over to going solo to keep the launch pad tidy.

We can advertise for a DPL once you get a section or two recorded, if someone doesn't pop in before then.

MaryAnn
Stellalune

Post by Stellalune »

How should I handle the image captions? Should I say "image caption" before reading the caption? And should I do it at the point in the text where they are in the html file or at the end of the section?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Stellalune,

Reading the captions is optional - I've listened to a lot of LV books and don't recall ever hearing anyone read captions, so you can feel free to leave them out. I took a quick look, and while they are funny along with the pictures, I'm not sure they add much to someone who is listening and not looking at the pictures.

MaryAnn
Stellalune

Post by Stellalune »

I recorded the first section using Audacity, but for some reason it came out the other side all kinda chopped into bits in an odd way - so for example, I would start one sentence and it would switch in the middle to another sentence a couple lines in the text later. In other words, I'm going to have to re-record, which I will do at some point in the next fortnight.

Have you heard of any similar cases where this has happened?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Argh! How frustrating.

May I ask, did you have other programs running at the same time? Audacity uses quite a bit of memory.

I did have a problem once when my virus scan software decided to scan my computer while I was recording . . . that time Audacity sort of froze, and when I played it back, the recording skipped a few seconds when the computer couldn't handle the demands on memory. Then it picked up again. That sort of sounds like what you experienced. I shut off the automatic virus scan so it can't run while I am recording, and I make a point to have nothing else running (except I do leave my web browser open) when I record and I have not had that problem since.

MaryAnn
Stellalune

Post by Stellalune »

I did have some things downloading, so that might have been what caused it. Thanks for the tip! ^_^
Stellalune

Post by Stellalune »

I have recorded chapter 4! But the uploader is throwing me this error:
Error SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data

What should I do?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Click the "Librivox dashboard" button in the upper right hand corner.

That should take you to the login screen. Login as you do to the MW - and then try to upload again.

We generally see that when someone has become logged out for some reason.

MaryAnn
Stellalune

Post by Stellalune »

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great! Be sure you past the link and the run time in the MW as well. The run time goes in the "notes" column. Then change the "status" to "ready for PL"

MaryAnn
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

Hi,

It looks as if your technology has given you quite a bit of trouble! I can relate; I recently thought I had saved a rather complex chapter, but when I opened it, most of my edits had not been retained. Frustrating!

However, I didn't come to complain about Audacity. I came to ask if I could DPL this project for you. It sounds interesting.
Last edited by bethesdalily on March 6th, 2016, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bethesda Lily

"My soul waits for the Lord as watchmen for the morning, as watchmen for the morning" (Psalm 130:6).