Any interest in Latin projects?

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

we have several latin recordings in the catalog, but i have no idea how big the pool of latin readers at librivox currently is.

we have two abandoned projects in latin, and i would set up one of them as a group project again if there was any interest. or, of course, anyone can suggest or set up another project as group or solo.

could everyone with some interest please give a shout? :D
Carolin
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

I would participate in a group Latin poetry project.
Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

i thought we can best start with something short and easy to read, so i found this study edition of cicero's speeches and launched it: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58964

everyone is welcome!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

a latin translation of robinson crusoe came out recently at gutenberg.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/50732

this might make a great solo for someone, or else i think i will set it up as a group project when our ongoing effort is finished :)
Carolin
ccreads

Post by ccreads »

I would really enjoy participating in something like this. :) I have veeeery little experience with Latin, however it would be a great experience that I'd love to partake in.
Eager to narrate and read for the world!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi and welcome to librivox!

anyone is welcome to participate in group projects, but i am concerned about your 'veeeery little experience'. it is absolutely necessary that you actually know the language of any project for which you would like to read :)
Carolin
ccreads

Post by ccreads »

Undoubtedly, though my intention is to be a willing participant if no one minds a Latin newbie. Just eager. :)
Eager to narrate and read for the world!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

ciceros speeches are about to be completed (thanks again, tony!), and i launched a new project to take its place as the open latin group project at librivox. i went for robinson crusoe, and i hope you will all like it :)

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=61974
Carolin
AOrlans

Post by AOrlans »

Carolin:

I would be interested in taking part in a new Latin project: there is the planned but not yet completed Erasmus project "Colloquia Familiara" which I have never read but I'm sure would be wonderful, but that is a solo project.

I would also suggest another project: Let's chose examples of our favorite saucy passages from the lyric poets (Ovid, Catullus and Propertius) and do multiple interpretations of the same texts in male and female voices. Also, if the passages selected haven't been yet done in English translation, multiple translations into English of a few lyrics could be given.

This is the same approach taken by the wonderful Nonesuch Press anthology, "The Latin Portrait" edited by G. Rostrevor Hamilton (London, 1929). It is well worth tracking down and paying $30-45 for, given the quality of the scholarship and printing and binding.

I studied Ovid's Metamorphoses and Horace and Catullus under Norman O Brown at UC, Santa Cruz (1979-84).

I taught Latin for 8 years at the high school level and used a lot of vociferous teaching techniques (dictation, recitation and call and response).

My own pronunciation of Latin is Italianate: (Caesar was not a wimp, he did not say "weenie weedy wiki")

Ave atque Vale,

Andrew
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi andrew, you are more than welcome to participate in that project. i find that we have only a handful of readers who like to read in latin, but i try to keep an interesting group project open for those who do.

once you got a bit more experience here at librivox, you could think of starting the project you suggested as a collection, but i dont know if we have enough readers at the moment. we will see what happens :)
Carolin
jlso4u

Post by jlso4u »

Anton Wilhelm Amo, Dissertatio Inauguralis Philosophica De Humanae Mentis Apatheia, Seu Sensionis Ac Facultatis Sentiendi In Mente Humana Absentia Et Earum In Corpore Nostro Organico Ac Vivo Praesentia
https://digital.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de/werkansicht/?PPN=PPN634497863

(via viewtopic.php?p=2276734#p2276734)
CarsonHall

Post by CarsonHall »

I would love to participate in Latin recording also!