I wonder what sort of collection we could do to honour ...

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

... the announcement last week of the detection, at last after a century, of Enistein's postulated, now detected, gravitational radiation?

There's certain to be a Nobel in this for the scientists concerned.

Perhaps the "Gravity Collection"? Similar to the Short Non-Fiction one, just so long as it has something (scientific) to do with gravity. I'm thinking Newton, Galileo, Copernicus, Kepler, Tycho Brahe, and of course the relevant passage in Einstein's work. I'm sure other dandy ones would come to us.

Comments?

Son of the Exiles
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

It sounds a splendid idea to me. There must be countless articles in scientific magazines, for instance, though they wouldn't be the easiest things to find, of course. Poole's index to periodical literature indicates a number of articles with 'gravity' in the title.

I wonder if it would work best if the BC chooses the items, rather than leaving it to readers to find suitable texts. (I am not volunteering to BC it ;).)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Also not volunteering - but if the BC picked them they could go in time order which would maybe be nice.
How far back would you go ? We all know about Newton but people have been using plumb lines for example for centuries - they may never have said " You know I think the earth is attracting this plumb I think we sgould call it Uggs Law" but they certainly knew what they were building was more likely not to fall down if they used one .

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

:clap: This sounds like a splendid idea! Give me some time to mull this over...

I know that Einstein's original articles on Relativity and Quantums are not pd for us - not in the original German because he died to late, and not in English because the translations are too late...

But if we're going for standard gravity, and with as wide a margin as possible, there should be enough out there to fill a good-sized collection. I like the idea of going chronological with this one! The question is how much farther back than Newton do we have written reports? But if we go for second hand stuff, well then, I guess the Egyptians are the limit :wink:

Hence, give me some time to mull this over... :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
msfry

Post by msfry »

My husband, current president of the Baton Rouge Astronomical Society, actually attended the ceremony on Thursday, in Livingston, LA, just a few miles from our house. He researches stuff all the time, and I bet he could provide a list. I'll ask him tomorrow afternoon to read this thread and see what he comes up with. I wouldn't mind BC'ing it.