The "Happy Birthday" Song is now public domain

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
JaredXD

Post by JaredXD » September 22nd, 2015, 11:31 pm

Since we are constantly dealing with works in the public domain, I thought this article would be especially interesting to us here at LV.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/09/judge-warners-2m-happy-birthday-copyright-is-bogus/

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » September 23rd, 2015, 12:26 am

Just wait for the appeals to start :lol:.
Brookline Beacon wrote:Judge King does not have a particularly strong record when dealing with intellectual property.
Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » September 26th, 2015, 4:12 am

Does that mean we should quickly record it today, while it is in the public domain, before the appeals start?? :twisted:

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » September 26th, 2015, 4:21 am

No , I can't imagine that if we did we or Archive would not get a "desist" letter and have to take it down . And it hardly seems worthwhile.

Anne

ej400

Post by ej400 » October 1st, 2015, 9:00 am

:shock:

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 » February 11th, 2016, 11:53 am

Saw this little item in the newspaper yesterday:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/02/09/tentative-deal-put-happy-birthday-public-domain/80047812/
Ending a three-year class-action battle, Warner, its affiliates and others who claimed ownership of the song's disputed copyright agreed that if U.S. District Judge George King approves the deal they will no longer "charge any person a fee for use of the song," the filing stated. "All parties believe the song will be in the public domain on the final settlement date," which is expected in March, the agreement added.
If Warner has now agreed to accept the settlement, I'm assuming that means they've given up -- no lengthy appeals -- unless some other party decides to appeal. (Can some other party appeal?) Settlement to be finalized next month, and of course anything can happen in the meantime -- but we'll soon find out! Fingers crossed! If this does actually go PD, we ought to celebrate with an LV version -- perhaps for the annual anniversary in August? (The time between March and August would be long enough to watch what happens, to see if the PD status is the real deal.)