COMPLETE Miscellaneous Poems by James Russell Lowell -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

And Studies for Two Heads done

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/miscellaneouspoems_64_lowell.mp3
Recording time: 5:33 min.

I must say it was a very difficult poem, no wonder it was the last to get picked up. I am not sure I understood the meaning of it all correctly. So if something strikes you as strange, please tell me.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

leanneyauyau wrote:Here's section 66, which has the duration 5:27
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/miscellaneouspoems_66_lowell.mp3
Hi Leanne

I loved your reading of this rather sad topic. It was very emotional and insistent, especially in the second half of the poem. This reading certainly enriched the written words. :9:

Unfortunately, I found some small textual errors, which could be amended still:

> at 0:39: Heaven is not mounted to on wings of dreams, you said "mounted on to"

> at 2:56: That Nature's face looks unacknowledging, you inserted "still" in there, I hope you can edit that out easily

> and you forgot to add 1844 at the end of the poem (just before you say "end of poem"). We usually add this as part of the poem, so the listener knows a bit about the context of the poem as well.

I also ran it through Checker and the volume is at only 84 dB, which is a bit on the soft side. We aim for 86-92 dB, preferably around 89 to stay consisten throughout the audiofile. That is easily enhanced though, by using the amplify function on Audacity.

Could you re-upload with the same filenname, that way we have the correct file in the MW immediately ?

Thanks

Sonia
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Kitty wrote:Hi Leanne

I loved your reading of this rather sad topic. It was very emotional and insistent, especially in the second half of the poem. This reading certainly enriched the written words. :9:

Unfortunately, I found some small textual errors, which could be amended still:

> at 0:39: Heaven is not mounted to on wings of dreams, you said "mounted on to"

> at 2:56: That Nature's face looks unacknowledging, you inserted "still" in there, I hope you can edit that out easily

> and you forgot to add 1844 at the end of the poem (just before you say "end of poem"). We usually add this as part of the poem, so the listener knows a bit about the context of the poem as well.

I also ran it through Checker and the volume is at only 84 dB, which is a bit on the soft side. We aim for 86-92 dB, preferably around 89 to stay consisten throughout the audiofile. That is easily enhanced though, by using the amplify function on Audacity.

Could you re-upload with the same filenname, that way we have the correct file in the MW immediately ?

Thanks

Sonia
I'm glad you liked it! My English teacher recommended Librivox to me because I always read with emotion whenever we do class readings, and she thought it would be nice to put that to better use.

I've edited the textual errors now. About the volume, though, I'm unable to amplify it in Audacity unless I allow clipping...and if I re-compress it, the bits where I speak a bit louder are suddenly softened in awkward places which throws me off a lot when listening to it. Please advise? :help: Here's the new version (length 5:27):

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/miscellaneouspoems_66_lowell.mp3
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

leanneyauyau wrote:I'm glad you liked it! My English teacher recommended Librivox to me because I always read with emotion whenever we do class readings, and she thought it would be nice to put that to better use.
Well, tell you teacher "thank you from us all" :)
About the volume, though, I'm unable to amplify it in Audacity unless I allow clipping...and if I re-compress it, the bits where I speak a bit louder are suddenly softened in awkward places which throws me off a lot when listening to it. Please advise? :help:
Checker puts it now at 86 dB which is ok. What parts do you find awkward ? So I can go in and check...

I would say now PL ok, unless you tell me you're not happy with it because of the compressing.

Sonia
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Hi Sonia, it's fine - I tried re-compressing it but didn't like it so I undid the action. Right now the file has only been compressed once and doesn't sound awkward :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

leanneyauyau wrote:Hi Sonia, it's fine - I tried re-compressing it but didn't like it so I undid the action. Right now the file has only been compressed once and doesn't sound awkward :)
Ok, it's ok then. I think compressing it once really is enough LOL I marked it PL ok.

Hope to hear more from you in other projects (as this one is full for the moment) :9:

Sonia
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Kitty wrote:
leanneyauyau wrote:Hi Sonia, it's fine - I tried re-compressing it but didn't like it so I undid the action. Right now the file has only been compressed once and doesn't sound awkward :)
Ok, it's ok then. I think compressing it once really is enough LOL I marked it PL ok.

Hope to hear more from you in other projects (as this one is full for the moment) :9:

Sonia
YAY! :D Thank you!
jojowasaman

Post by jojowasaman »

I probably can't get to this for a week or more (sorry, work just dumped a lot on me), so if one of y'all want to grab "Biblioatres", feel free!!! I don't want to hold up the project.
You can call me JJ or JoJo: either is fine.
Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner. But he knew it wouldn't last... "Get Back," The Beatles
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Kitty wrote:
leanneyauyau wrote:I'm glad you liked it! My English teacher recommended Librivox to me because I always read with emotion whenever we do class readings, and she thought it would be nice to put that to better use.
Well, tell you teacher "thank you from us all" :)
absolutely! :mrgreen:
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

jojowasaman wrote:I probably can't get to this for a week or more (sorry, work just dumped a lot on me), so if one of y'all want to grab "Biblioatres", feel free!!! I don't want to hold up the project.
jojo, this project has been comparatively slow moving, so i think a week more or less wont hurt us :)

please let me know if you think you need a lot more time, because then i might still reassign the poem, but otherwise, dont worry about a little delay :)
Carolin
jojowasaman

Post by jojowasaman »

Carolin wrote:
jojowasaman wrote:I probably can't get to this for a week or more (sorry, work just dumped a lot on me), so if one of y'all want to grab "Biblioatres", feel free!!! I don't want to hold up the project.
jojo, this project has been comparatively slow moving, so i think a week more or less wont hurt us :)

please let me know if you think you need a lot more time, because then i might still reassign the poem, but otherwise, dont worry about a little delay :)
Hi Carolin, I appreciate it. On the other hand, let me just step down from 78 Bibliolatres. I just restarted Librivox after an absence and between teaching and other stuff (learning Italian) it is taking me longer to get back into the Librivox groove than I thought. The poem is kinda long for me to read, and reading outloud for Librivox has always been a real challenge for me; I don't know why: my pronunciations is full of clicks and eses and it takes hour to edit my stuff. I went hoarse just trying to get a decent reading of last week's short poem. I think I need to build myself up to poems longer than the weekly poem... Sorry.
You can call me JJ or JoJo: either is fine.
Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner. But he knew it wouldn't last... "Get Back," The Beatles
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thats alright jojo. but i do hope we will see you around at librivox :)
Carolin
harpinthecloset

Post by harpinthecloset »

It'll be a few days before I get to mine. Hoping to do it Monday! Just wanted to let you know I hadn't forgotten. :-)
Jael
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I can do the last one remaining, Bibliolatres. :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Couldn't wait, so finished it right away :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/miscellaneouspoems_78_lowell.mp3
Recording time: 2:35 min.

Also put it in the MW, all you have to do is PL, Carolin. But have a nice weekend first!

Sonia