Don't you hate...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

New Zealand, eh? Do you like crickets? This is the New Zealand "weta" : http://i.imgur.com/fbSJhP2.jpg That's not a faked photo.

On the matter of growing up with spiders in the back yard, I don't know, I hadn't really ever thought all that much about it. I guess you just learn to live with them in the environment, same as bees. They do say that huntsmen spiders eat household insects, but they don't get much of a chance in this household. The cat has a habit of grabbing them ... alive ... in his mouth (I don't know how he does it without them biting him), then proudly dropping them at your feet. You can usually tell when he's going to do it because his "meow" becomes characteristically muffled by the mouthful of spider.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
J_N

Post by J_N »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:New Zealand, eh? Do you like crickets? This is the New Zealand "weta" : http://i.imgur.com/fbSJhP2.jpg That's not a faked photo.
...and there goes New Zealand... :shock: :lol:
The cat has a habit of grabbing them ... alive ... in his mouth (I don't know how he does it without them biting him), then proudly dropping them at your feet. You can usually tell when he's going to do it because his "meow" becomes characteristically muffled by the mouthful of spider.
pfffff... my cats don't even hunt flies... :roll:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

J_N wrote:
SonOfTheExiles wrote:The cat has a habit of grabbing them ... alive ... in his mouth (I don't know how he does it without them biting him), then proudly dropping them at your feet. You can usually tell when he's going to do it because his "meow" becomes characteristically muffled by the mouthful of spider.
pfffff... my cats don't even hunt flies... :roll:
You need an Australian cat for that! :lol:
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

About Australian cats: http://www.telelib.com/authors/L/LawsonHenry/prose/onthetrack/bushcats.html

I also remember Kenneth Cook, the author of "Wake in Fright", writing about the time he was in some Outback pub somewhere when his dog brought a taipan or some other deadly snake into the bar. The men drinking in the bar all leapt to the top of the counter, without spilling a drop of their beer.. They even had the presence of mind to drain the glasses first before throwing them at the reptile. Eventually the barman's 80 year old Mum came in, went "My goodness!", and whacked the dog over the head with her walking-stick to make him drop the snake. She then took up the snake with the crook of her stick and took it outside
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Oh yeah, my father and his two brothers once brought home a snake that they killed on the road on the way home from school. Their mother scolded them for killing a dangerous snake and said "Next time, call me and I'll kill it!"

So the next day they brought home a live snake in a bag for her to kill... :shock:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

J_N wrote: I have seen pictures from friends where people have huuuuuuuge spiders living on their walls because they are harmless and eat the smaller spiders... so much NOPE! :shock:
Oh yes, my daughters are like this. Once they found out that spiders eat mosquitoes they were all about helping the spiders win! My 3yo daughter was worried the other day because a spider in the car wasn't wearing a seat belt... it might get hurt if the car stops suddenly, Mama! :roll:
Trumgottist

Post by Trumgottist »

The cold weather here is becoming more and more attractive. :)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Does anyone else recall, growing up, having grandmothers who told you to let very tiny spiders go unharmed because they were "money spiders"?

Nan must've had some sort of direct deposit arrangement with those arachnids, because I don't actually recall ever getting my cut!

There were a few things like that, weren't there? Like if you accidentally spilled salt, you tossed a pinch of it over your left shoulder.

Some of the traditions got modified by relocation to a different hemisphere, and the consequent inversion of things in the night sky. For instance, instead of the 'Man in the Moon', with us it was "Christ standing before the table of his Father" (Who was around the edge of the Moon, out of sight). Northern Hemisphere folks would have to turn a picture of the Moon upside-down to maybe get a sense of this.

There was also that thing about my mother's grandfather that I think I've already mentioned, about his cranky temper supposedly being due to the light of the Moon having shone upon his face as a baby.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Don't you hate... when, having finished recording a section, you discover that at some point in the middle of the process your Audacity hiccuped and stopped recording, freezing everything mid-sentence :evil:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
catrose

Post by catrose »

Don't you hate when... you're on a roll! Soliloquizing over in a dramatic work when suddenly... a storm enters stage left and adds a different type of background noise so you have to stop and wait and stalk the forum until the rain clears :roll:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
kukailimoku

Post by kukailimoku »

The Hawaiian Cane Spider:

"Physical Description: Cane spiders are large, flat-bodied arachnids with two rows of eyes and long, hairy legs. Their bodies are about an inch long, with a leg span that reaches up to 5 inches wide. Cane spiders are brown, with a cream-colored band encircling the top of their backs, and black bands or spots on their legs. Male cane spiders have pale patches behind their eyes and longer legs than females, while females have larger abdomens."

Yeah, 5 inches.

Best cat toy ever.
Why yes there IS a blog about choral singing. Thanks for asking.
http://www.thewindwardchoralsociety.org/news/
J_N

Post by J_N »

Don't you hate spiders. Full stop. :mrgreen: It doesn't have to be some fancy Hawaiian species (btw. Hawaii has now been officially taken off my list of places to visit :shock: )

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

...when you finally have a free afternoon to sit down and record, and some neighbor has some loud piece of equipment running?

I wonder what it is. It isn't exactly home reno season, nor yard work season. :hmm:

Guess I'll do some play editing instead.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
catrose

Post by catrose »

I find that whenever I'm free for an afternoon, it begins to rain (and I record next to a window, so rain is too loud for me!)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
J_N

Post by J_N »

...when your country gets confused... again...

apparently, Australia is now building a fence at its border to Slovenia... #CNNFail