[ADVICE] Avoid Burnout

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
catrose

Post by catrose »

Now as a narrator who has been both young and kinda stupid here, I have some advice, particularly to younger members and less experienced narrators.

Know your limit!

Now, the 14 year old me who first began reading here would scoff at that advice. Would claim that setting a limit is for people with less time on their hands. And that as I am young and invincible, I can record 2 solos, 4 big dramatic roles, a handful of smaller dramatic roles, manage 2 group projects, 2 plays, plan the next dramatic reading and stay on top of everything on the forum.
Newsflash - I could not.

One slight criticism (Saying a word wrong in a word perfect recording) and suddenly I didn't want to be here anymore and left without a word. Please, no one make the same mistakes as I did.

If youre struggling, put yourself on a block - no new projects til the one youre doing is finished. And if it's not becoming fun or it's a struggle to record, it's far better for you to speak to an admin or the project manager and drop the role/project than let it work up until it's something undeniably scary.

You're here to volunteer! You're here to have fun and enjoy what you're doing!
Last edited by catrose on February 2nd, 2016, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks - trouble is everyone young or old thinks it won't happen to them. As a 14 year old its getting a bit older , more intense school , going to college or university , the opposite sex. But adults too have real life changes. And that's great, you aren't letting people down . The real problems are caused when people just disappear. We all should practice being able to say " I don't have time anymore - I hope I will sometime :D and I've loved my time here"

Glad you are fine, hope that someday you want to come back and do a few things. How's real life going?

Anne
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hey, welcome back Cat! Missed you. I totally agree with what you say, especially about the 'not being fun anymore' part. that is soooo true. It is a warning sign that something is off kilter and it's time to pull back a bit. And your advict to talk to an admin or other volunteers instead of just dropping out is spot on too.

Anyway, welcome back and Ignatius, the Penguin of Happiness Image is glad to see you again as well.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

i think it is important for everyone to know that if you run into problems, or find you suddenly have less time for librivox than you used to, you can always pass on some of your projects, roles, or sections to someone else. contact your bc and/or mc as soon as possible to avoid things really running out of hand. weve all been there and we are all willing to help out :)
Carolin
kayray

Post by kayray »

I'm sure that every one of us, including me, has sometimes bitten off more than we could chew :) Just let us know what's up!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

annise wrote:Thanks - trouble is everyone young or old thinks it won't happen to them. As a 14 year old its getting a bit older , more intense school , going to college or university , the opposite sex. But adults too have real life changes. And that's great, you aren't letting people down . The real problems are caused when people just disappear. We all should practice being able to say " I don't have time anymore - I hope I will sometime :D and I've loved my time here"
That's exactly what's happened to me. Much as I pine for LV, I simply don't have time anymore, and with four years of college and then more than likely at least three of graduate school ahead of me, I don't see myself being able to return anytime soon. However, I look forward to sending LV my children as soon as they are born and learn to read (which I'll expect them to master by about age 4. :wink: )
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hobbit wrote: However, I look forward to sending LV my children as soon as they are born and learn to read (which I'll expect them to master by about age 4. :wink: )
Oh, you might be back sooner than you think! I joined LV when I was at home on maternity leave after having my 2nd child. I had odd little bits of time, so doing something from my own desktop was very convenient - and I could always pause it when the baby woke up! LV is great - it fits in around whatever your life stage! Now I do it while all the kids are at school! :9: