[COMPLETE] The Sikh Religion Vol 3 by MA Macauliffe-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
carteki

Post by carteki »

The Sikh Religion, Its Gurus, Sacred Writings and Authors Volume 3 by Max Arthur Macauliffe (1841 - 1913).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-sikh-religion-volume-3-by-max-arthur-macauliffe/

This is one of the first (and still one of the few) comprehensive books about the Sikh religion in the English language. MacAuliffe had extensive access to manuscripts of the Sikh sacred writings (the Granth), as well as support from Sikh scholars and leaders of the time. This volume covers the life and hymns of Guru Arjan, the fifth Guru. This is volume three of six. ( (http://www.archive.org/stream/thesikhreligio203macauoft#page/n0/mode/2up))
Note: BC for this project is Pardeep (PAOttowa).
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/thesikhreligio203macauoft
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
  6. Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  7. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  8. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Sikh Religion, Its Gurus, Sacred Writings and Authors Volume 3. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Sikh Religion, Its Gurus, Sacred Writings and Authors Volume 3, by Max Arthur Macauliffe. [Section heading as per MW]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Sikh Religion, Its Gurus, Sacred Writings and Authors Volume 3, by Max Arthur Macauliffe. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  9. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    sikhreligion3_##_macauliffe_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. sikhreligion3_01_macauliffe_128kb. mp3)
  10. Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  11. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by carteki on October 15th, 2016, 12:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Kim,
Happy to MC this for you.
MaryAnn
carteki

Post by carteki »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Kim,
Happy to MC this for you.
MaryAnn
Thank you. I have all the chapters and the breakdown ready for the MW. Will be looking for a PL / DPL on the project.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Moving over to readers wanted. We can advertise for a DPL once a few sections are posted.
MaryAnn
oliyamelnichuk

Post by oliyamelnichuk »

Is this book still available for reading? i would LOVE to take on the first few sections, maybe even more. I am fascinated with religions of the world and Sikh religion is magnificent in its own way. It would be a delight to read this book for you.

Hope to start soon!
Namaste,

Oliya
carteki

Post by carteki »

Thank you for your enthusiasm and welcome to Librivox.
I see that your initial test is still outstanding. I'll take a look at it this evening (in about 10 hours).
As a newbie it's good to start with the shorter chapters just to get comfortable.
Anon
PAOttawa

Post by PAOttawa »

Hi Kim,

I read a few sections in Vol. 1 and would like to do some more.

I would like to read the whole of the Sukhmani (Sections 21-38), but it is possible that it may take me more than a couple of months to get through it all. If that is acceptable, then please sign me up.

Cheers
Pardeep
Pardeep Ahluwalia
carteki

Post by carteki »

WOW - time to get this book off the ground ... Thank you.

I've assigned you the full Sukhmani and as you can see there isn't a huge rush. I see that I've been very generous in the section sizes - max word counts of 3,000. If you decide to combine a section or 2 because the flow is better I really don't have any objection. Just let me know that you've done it.

Kim
PAOttawa

Post by PAOttawa »

Thanks Kim; I will read it through and let you know if I think it can be split differently, both logically and for easier listening.

Cheers
Pardeep
Pardeep Ahluwalia
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Kim,

Just a word of caution - the first part of the intro refers to ""Chapter [number] of The Sikh Religion . . .", but this book has no chapters, so I'm not sure how the readers are handling that part of the intro. If I were a reader, I would probably interpret this to mean I should start the intro as "Section 18 of .... " or "Chapter 18 of", picking up the number from the section number in the MW. Either of those would be correct because we want the intro to start with a number so that visually impaired listeners can quickly tell where they are in the audio files. In that case, you want to be careful about changing the number of sections in the project mid-stream. We can easily combine sections in the MW, but that will lead to gaps in the numbers in the intros. It would be confusing (and will likely lead to some sort of error report) if a listener hears a jump in the intros from "Section 35" to "Section 39" because midway through the project you decided to combine a couple of earlier sections.

In your project, none of the later sections have been claimed yet, so as long as the combinations are decided and put in the MW before people claim those later sections, it shouldn't be a problem.

You might want to check section 50 - it looks like it's in the wrong place in the MW. Click and drag to get it back where it belongs. There's also no reader - can you check that?

MaryAnn
carteki

Post by carteki »

Mary-Anne,

Thank you for checking up :) As you'll see - the sections are very short because I thought that 3,000 words was the max length when I put together the MW. I started combining the sections - and marked the additional sections as "PL-OK" just so that they wouldn't be claimed until I got around to finalising the MW and deleting them. My problem is that I don't know the subject - so don't really know how the "flow works" as these are hymns that people may want to come back to individually - or do we just record them as a whole section? (I'm tending to the latter, but happy for input)... Pardeep?

I do have the splits on a spreadsheet with my proposals for the Sukhmani and other sections, combining S22-43 into 10 sections (See the letter in column H - which you can edit and add comments to).

I'll update the intro to just "sections" as the book has "subtitles, but doesn't really call them anything ..."

Kim
PAOttawa

Post by PAOttawa »

Hi Kim,

In the gurudwara (Sikh temple) and elsewhere, each hymn would be sung as a single piece, and the Sukhmani Sahib takes about 90 minutes. However, Macauliffe's book(s) is not a transliteration of the Granth Sahib (the Sikh holy book), but is a translation/compilation of most (all?) of the pieces of the Granth Sahib together with other material, with each piece, including the hymns, interspersed with "editorial comments". Given this, and the fact that it will likely not be listened to as a reading of the Granth Sahib, I don't believe it is necessary to read the hymns as complete units, but could be done as sections. However, there is a need to ensure that each section "flows" - but this could become something of a subjective decision. I will take a look at the Sukhmani over the next few days and see if, to my mind, the current sections work.

Don't know if this helps at all, or just serves to add further confusion. :hmm:

Pardeep
Pardeep Ahluwalia
carteki

Post by carteki »

I appreciate your input. The sections are pretty short (Andriy 10-15 mins and it is possible to have up to 90 mind length (not recommended, but in this case perhaps it makes sense to just have 2 sections then or read until you hit 80 minutes and then start a new file.) fewer chalets than more seems better.
All up to you though.
Kim
PAOttawa

Post by PAOttawa »

Hi Kim,

MaryAnn has a valid point in that only the first part ("Life of Guru Arjan") has identified Chapters. However, the hymns are clearly separated into "Parts" and "Sections". Given this, a possible naming convention (which appears to be similar to those used in the first two volumes of this work) could be:

Life of Guru Arjan, Chapters 1 - 10 (separated into Chapters as currently identified)
Hymns of Guru Arjan, Part 1 (left as a single section as currently identified)
Hymns of Guru Arjan, Part 2: Twelve Months (split into two sections as currently identified)
Hymns of Guru Arjan, Part 3: Bawan Akhari (left as a single section as currently identified)
Hymns of Guru Arjan Part 4: Sukhmani (I would suggest splitting this part into 8 sections rather than the 18 currently identified)
Section a: From p197 "Slok 1" to p224 "...God is the lord of all."
Section b: From p224 "Slok IX" to p248 "...obtain their reward."
Section c: From p248 "Slok XVII" to p271 "...composition called Sukhmani."
Section d: From p271 "Lunar Days" to p301 "...blend me with Thee."
Section e: From p301 "Instruction to the human race" to p329 "...the Treasury of Excellences."
Section f: From p329 "Gujari" to p342 "...under the saints' feet."
Section g: From p343 "Bihagra Chhant" to p361 "...absorbed in God's praises."
Section h: From p361 "Dhanasari" to p 369 "...cannot be told."
Hymns of Guru Arjan, Part 5: Jaitsari Ki War (could probably be split into less than the 7 sections currently identified)
Hymns of Guru Arjan, Part 6: Sahaskriti Sloks (left as a single section as currently identified)
Hymns of Guru Arjan, Part 7: Gatha (left as a single section as currently identified)
Hymns of Guru Arjan, Part 8: Punhas (left as a single section as currently identified)
Hymns of Guru Arjan, Part 9: Extra Sloks (left as a single section as currently identified)

As in previous readings, I would not plan to include the footnotes, nor the individual verse numbers.

For your consideration

Cheers
Pardeep
Pardeep Ahluwalia
carteki

Post by carteki »

Thank you for your help. I'm happy with your suggestions.
Cheers