COMPLETE - Favourite Scenes From Shakespeare - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

Favourite Scenes From Shakespeare by William Shakespeare (1554 - 1616).

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/favourite-scenes-from-shakespeare-by-william-shakespeare/
In 2012, the World Shakespeare Festival surveyed Britons as to their favourite plays by Shakespeare. This collection consists of 21 scenes from the most popular plays written by arguably the greatest writer in the English language, possibly any language. It is an homage to the Bard in celebration of the 400th anniversary of his death in 1616 -- the Shakespeare Quadricentennial . ( John Burlinson)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/100
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: wordperfect

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      Genres for the project: Dramatic Readings; Plays
      Keywords that describe the book: Shakespeare, renaissance, Elizabethan
      ============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Make sure you add this to your recording:
    8. START of recording (Intro)

If reading only one or more character parts:
      • Say: "[Role] read by [your name]" . Include statements for all roles if doubling characters. Please include all your character roles in the same file.
      If reading the narrator:
      • Say: "Act [number], Scene [number] from [Title of Play] by William Shakespeare. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • Say: "Narrated by [your name]"
        If reading the narrator AND one or more of the roles:
      • Say: "Narrated by [your name]" AND "[Role] read by [your name]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section:

If reading only one or more character parts, say:
      • "End of [Role(s)]"
        If you wish, say:
      • "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"

If you are the narrator:
      • Say: "End of Act [number], Scene [number] from [Title of Play]. This recording is in the public domain."

At the end of the collection (end of Twelfth Night), say (in addition):
      • "End of Favourite Scenes From Shakespeare. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    9. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      favouritescenes_##_[role].mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the scene number (e.g. favouritescenes_01_cleopatra.mp3)

Please use the following scene numbers when naming files:
      01 -- Antony and Cleopatra
      02 -- As You Like It
      03 -- Hamlet
      04 -- Henry IV (Pt 1)
      05 -- Julius Caesar
      06 -- King Lear
      07 -- MacBeth Act 1, Scene 7
      08 -- MacBeth Act 2, scenes 1 - 3
      09 -- MacBeth Act 4, Scene 1
      10 -- Merchant of Venice Act 1, Scene 2
      11 -- Merchant of Venice Act 3, scene 2
      12 -- Midsummer Night's Dream Act 2, Scene 1
      13 -- Midsummer Night's Dream Act 3, Scene 2
      14 -- Much Ado About Nothing
      15 -- Othello Act 3, scene 3
      16 -- Othello Act 5, Scene 2
      17 -- Richard III
      18 -- Romeo and Juliet
      19 -- Taming of the Shrew
      20 -- The Tempest
      21 -- Twelfth Night

Filename for final files: favouritescenes_##_shakespeare_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the scene number (e.g. favouritescenes_01_shakespeare_128kb.mp3)
    10. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: William Shakespeare
      Title: ## - [Scene title]
      Album: Favourite Scenes From Shakespeare

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    11. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: rapunzelina
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by jburlinson on February 7th, 2016, 6:18 pm, edited 10 times in total.
John Burlinson
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hello :) I see you found the "edit" button ;)

Just checking in, to get this project on my mail-alert list. I should be in bed really :roll:

Oh and while I'm at it, I confirm my willingness to DPL.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

Kitty wrote:Hello :) I see you found the "edit" button ;)

Just checking in, to get this project on my mail-alert list. I should be in bed really :roll:

Oh and while I'm at it, I confirm my willingness to DPL.

Sonia
Thank you so much. I've deleted the "~".

Pleasant dreams!
John Burlinson
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

John,

Do you have another source?

This source Folger Digital Texts states in the Terms of Use that
Folger Digital Texts is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported license.
When Librivox releases a project it is Creative Commons 0 (no restrictions) so we can not record from the Folger Digital Text as a source.

David O
adonis

Post by adonis »

Do you have another source?

Will have. There is a Complete in Gutenberg which uses practically the same text; and each of the individual plays is available there too. So that should be no problem.

Tony Addison.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Here it is: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/100

It is rather awkward to use, as it is everything in one file, but it's all there!

Alternatively, there is this site which has all the plays separately. it says it is all open source and public domain: http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org

Would that be suitable? It has the plays all listed separately which I think is more convenient for quick access.
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

John,

Both of the sources that Candy identified are public domain; either would be acceptable to record from - the choice is yours.

One more question, the title of the first post says [FULL] are you planning on soloing this or is it a group project with everyone already signed up?

David O
adonis

Post by adonis »

It's a group with everyone signed up.

Tony Addison.
adonis

Post by adonis »

The open source Shakespeare; it isn't going to be convenient unless I can download it to Kindle in Kindle format. Other formats I can sometimes get as text on my Kindle, but I can't enlarge the print sufficiently. At a certain point (in non-Kindle format) the page starts to expand beyond the screen or doesn't grow large enough for me to see it at all. Also, the capacity for seeing print is enhanced by having the screen black, the print white. I can't get that on my Kindle Fire (bought specially for the purpose) unless I can download in Kindle format. All this is perfectly possible with Gutenberg texts; and I much prefer to use those. The complete Shakespeare is a little awkward to navigate around but it is only a little and it is only awkward; it isn't even difficult, it just needs a little learning how it works. Then, as I say, there are the individual texts, also available in Gutenberg.

Tony
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adonis wrote:The complete Shakespeare is a little awkward to navigate around but it is only a little and it is only awkward; it isn't even difficult, it just needs a little learning how it works. Then, as I say, there are the individual texts, also available in Gutenberg.
Tony
I was actually planning on reading from the individual Gutenberg texts, as we had all the links already beforehand. I hope the texts don't differ too much as we want word perfect. I already recorded 4 small roles, but I better wait with the bigger ones until we have decided on a text we all use.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Just posting to get this in my email alerts can't wait to get going with this project.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi everyone! I'll be your MC for this project :) I'll go set it up!

About the text, always check the Bibrec tab at Gutenberg.org.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/100 is copyrighted. Perhaps the best option is the texts individually available in Gutenberg.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

MW is in place!

I've changed the filename a bit to suggest favouritescenes_##_shakespeare.mp3 for the final files. Will that work for you? If not, feel free to edit it to your preference :)

Looking forward to how this project will develop!!
jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

Kitty wrote:
adonis wrote:The complete Shakespeare is a little awkward to navigate around but it is only a little and it is only awkward; it isn't even difficult, it just needs a little learning how it works. Then, as I say, there are the individual texts, also available in Gutenberg.
Tony
I was actually planning on reading from the individual Gutenberg texts, as we had all the links already beforehand. I hope the texts don't differ too much as we want word perfect. I already recorded 4 small roles, but I better wait with the bigger ones until we have decided on a text we all use.

Sonia
Sorry about the confusion. I'm thinking that it might be easiest for the listener to have only one text to worry about if she or he wants to read along with the speakers. (This is almost always the way I do it with LV, unless I'm driving in my car!)

For that reason, the Complete Works might be the best (most consistent) option. The other gutenberg texts are almost all virtually identical to the Complete Works -- in many cases, they're exactly the same. The only difference sometimes comes in the stage directions -- so if you haven't read any of the narrator's lines, your existing files will probably be totally fine.

Will this be OK?
John Burlinson
jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

Rapunzelina wrote:MW is in place!

I've changed the filename a bit to suggest favouritescenes_##_shakespeare.mp3 for the final files. Will that work for you? If not, feel free to edit it to your preference :)

Looking forward to how this project will develop!!
Thank you so much -- you've made my day. Actually, you've made my year :9:

The favouritescenes part of the name is OK by me, as long as we don't forget to spell "favourite" the same way. (I may be the only person amongst us who doesn't spell words correctly.) It might work best for the editors, though, if the filename included both the scene number and the character's name. So -- favouritescenes_##_[role].mp3. E.g., favouritescenes_01_cleopatra.mp3. The scenes will all be numbered in the MW from 01 (Antony & Cleopatra) to 21 (The Tempest).

This way, the editor can easily assemble their scenes & roles together.

Will that work?
John Burlinson