[complete] Pagan Papers by Kenneth Grahame - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

Pagan Papers by Kenneth Grahame (1859 - 1932).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/pagan-papers-by-kenneth-grahame/
We join our thoughtful author on a dreamy stroll at dusk through the English countryside, and listen to his nonchalant, slightly scattered musings on the human condition...everything from loafing about and old book collecting, to heavier topics like what is more valuable: memory or forgetfulness and can we connect back to nature, or is it too late to do so. All these ponderings, and more, are explored within.
Published in 1898, this collection of essays is Kenneth Grahame's first complied work. His wry and witty humor, which later would be celebrated in his famous novel, The Wind in the Willows, shines through here. (Mary Kay)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5319
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: FsL4L5i1
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Kenneth Grahame) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Grahame
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 18
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1898
      • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Humor; *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works

Keywords that describe the book: humor, human condition, Latin, essays, trains, British literature, roads, the wind in the willows, musings, opinion pieces, random topics, reflections

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Pagan Papers. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Pagan Papers, by Kenneth Grahame. [Section]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [essay title]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Pagan Papers, by Kenneth Grahame. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      paganpapers_##_grahame_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. paganpapers_01_grahame_128kb.mp3).
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Kenneth Grahame
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Pagan Papers

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee - kathrinee
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below

The Romance of the Road (1140 words)
The Romance of the Rail (1114 w0rds)
Non Libri Sed Liberi (1257 words)
Loafing (1370 words)
Cheap Knowledge (912 words)
The Rural Pan: An April Essay (912 words)
Marginalia (996 words)
The Eternal Whither (1072 words)
Deus Terminus (879 words)
Of Smoking (1459 words)
An Autumn Encounter (861 words)
The White Poppy (843 words)
A Bohemian in Exile: A Reminiscence (2016 words)
Justifiable Homicide (1125 words)
The Fairy Wicket (815 words)
Aboard the Galley (1057 words)
The Lost Centaur (1010 words)
Orion (1169 words)

The only work by the author of The Wind in the Willows not in the catalog! Not a super long piece, hopefully of some interest. I think it is pretty funny.

Our DPL is barbara2.
Last edited by Tortilla on July 6th, 2016, 5:36 am, edited 8 times in total.
Hello! Newly graduated and occasional Librivox contributor.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I'll MC, will be back in a bit with MW

ETA:
Here you go! :) I edited the intro disclaimer a bit. Let me know if anything is amiss. You will need to change the blurb before we get this to the catalogue, Goodreads is not PD :) It looks like an interesting collection of essays!
Kathrine
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

I would like to be DPL on this project, if the position is still open.

Best,

Barbara
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

Barbara is brought on, summary purged of non-PD descriptions, and MW is up and ready to go!
Fenman

Post by Fenman »

Could I claim chapter 11 - An Autumn Encounter, please?

Thanks

Fenman
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

I'd be happy to reserve your section, but what would you like your display name to be?
Fenman

Post by Fenman »

Tortilla wrote:I'd be happy to reserve your section, but what would you like your display name to be?
Fenman - If that's OK?

Thank You

Fenman
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

Added! :)
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Tortilla wrote:Barbara is brought on, summary purged of non-PD descriptions, and MW is up and ready to go!
Excellent! I'll move us over to to Readers Wanted: Short works
Kathrine
Fenman

Post by Fenman »

barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Hi Fenman. After having a quick listen to the beginning of your section, I'm very much looking forward to hearing the rest of it. However, the link to the uploaded mp3 file hasn't appeared in the Magic Window. As I understand it, it is the file that is linked in the Magic Window that should be proof-listened as that is the version that is seen by the catalog.

I think the problem with the non-appearance in the Magic Window might be the errant hyphen before "128kb" where there should be an underscore.

As the Book Co-ordinator (Tortilla) has to also fill in a field for the length of the recording in the Magic Window, under the link you posted as above, please add the minutes and seconds. A lot of people seem to use this format:

M:S
##:##

Best,

Barbara
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

barbara2 wrote:

Hi Fenman. After having a quick listen to the beginning of your section, I'm very much looking forward to hearing the rest of it. However, the link to the uploaded mp3 file hasn't appeared in the Magic Window. As I understand it, it is the file that is linked in the Magic Window that should be proof-listened as that is the version that is seen by the catalog.

I think the problem with the non-appearance in the Magic Window might be the errant hyphen before "128kb" where there should be an underscore.

As the Book Co-ordinator (Tortilla) has to also fill in a field for the length of the recording in the Magic Window, under the link you posted as above, please add the minutes and seconds. A lot of people seem to use this format:

We can fix the titling later, all of the information is more or less in the right place. I put it in the MW, go ahead and PL it. :)

M:S
##:##

Best,

Barbara
Fenman

Post by Fenman »

Chapter 11 - An Autumn Encounter

Time: 8:03

Hope that this is OK

Thanks

Fenman
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Fenman wrote:Chapter 11 - An Autumn Encounter

Hope that this is OK

Thanks

Fenman
Excellent! I found the writer's musings about the scarecrow a bit dark until he headed for The Dog and Duck. Perhaps partly because of the voice you gave it.

Fenman, at 6:00 you left out the phrase "I shall soon be past him"

I think that after "End of 'An Autumn Encounter'" you should add "End of Section 11". What does Tortilla think?

Best,

Barbara
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

barbara2 wrote:
Fenman wrote:Chapter 11 - An Autumn Encounter

Hope that this is OK

Thanks

Fenman
Excellent! I found the writer's musings about the scarecrow a bit dark until he headed for The Dog and Duck. Perhaps partly because of the voice you gave it.

Fenman, at 6:00 you left out the phrase "I shall soon be past him"

I think that after "End of 'An Autumn Encounter'" you should add "End of Section 11". What does Tortilla think?

Best,

Barbara

Please don't say "End of Section 11," Just say "End of -essay title-"! Besides that, looks good! Thank you Barbara.