COMPLETE: History of U.S., Pt 1: The Colonial Period - NF/ct

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

This book is now complete and can be found in our catalog at:
http://librivox.org/history-of-the-united-states-vol-i-by-charles-and-mary-beard/

History of the United States by Charles A. Beard and Mary Ritter Beard.

Charles Beard was the most influential American historian of the early 20th century.
He published hundreds of monographs, textbooks and interpretive studies in both history and political science. He graduated from DePauw University in 1898, where he met and eventually married Mary Ritter Beard, one of the founders of the first greek-letter society for women, Kappa Alpha Theta. Many of his books were written in collaboration with his wife, whose own interests lay in feminism and the labor union movement.

In 1921, Charles and Mary Beard published their textbook: History of the United States. A contemporaneous review stated: The authors… assume enough maturity in…students to justify a topical rather than a chronological treatment. They have dealt with movements, have sketched large backgrounds, have traced causes, and have discussed the interrelation of social and economic forces and politics. All this has been directed to the large purpose of helping the student to understand American today in all its national characteristics and as part of world civilization as well…The literary style is exceptionally clear and crisp, and the whole approach…is thought producing. As a textbook or handbook for the average citizen it ranks with very best.

The book is divided into 7 parts: THE COLONIAL PERIOD, CONFLICT AND INDEPENDENCE, FOUNDATIONS OF THE UNION AND NATIONAL POLITICS, THE WEST AND JACKSONIAN DEMOCRACY, SECTIONAL CONFLICT AND RECONSTRUCTION, NATIONAL GROWTH AND WORLD POLITICS, AND PROGRESSIVE DEMOCRACY AND THE WORLD WAR. Each of these parts is divided into sections averaging ~6 pages.

Please join us in this first LibriVox survey of United States History.

1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: July 4th – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/16960
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!

(Admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"[/i]
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      History of the United States by Charles A. Beard and Mary Ritter Beard, Part 1, Section__"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Section__"
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of History of the United States by Charles A. Beard and Mary Ritter Beard."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    historyoftheUSpt1_##_charlesandmarybeard.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. historyoftheUSpt1_01_charlesandmarybeard.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Charles and Mary Beard
    Album: History of the United States, Part 1
    Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    • If you have your own server space, post the link here. Please leave the file in this location until the project is catalogued.
    • If you don't have your own server space, you'll need to transfer the file to one of the free servers available. For a list of options, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
    • the file size of your .mp3 file.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Ticktockman on June 10th, 2007, 10:20 am, edited 7 times in total.
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Here I am! I'll get this in the catalog tonight.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

This sounds like a great idea! I've been wondering if there were any textbooks in the public domain. The closest thing I've found on audio to a textbook-like history of the US has been Don't Know Know Much About History. But it was really short, so I'm excited to have something a little bit more thorough, even if it only goes up to "The" World War. I would like to start with section 6, please.

By the way, is there a target completion date for this project?
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Great Leon! Thanks for being the first to volunteer :clap:

I hadn't set a date, as I was trying to decide whether to do a volume at a time or a simulblast of all 7. I was going to go for the latter, but then another new project came up.

Let's try for July 4th?

Thanks again :thumbs:

ttm
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
kayray

Post by kayray »

Can't resist history! May I have part 11 The Effects of Warfare on the Colonies?

Ad I'd recommend completing Volume One of this book before you move on to Volume Two, for your own sanity's sake :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Kara,

Thanks for your enthusiasm and advice...I just got involved in another project, so I'm glad I hadn't tried to simulblast this one.

Nice to hear from you!

TTM
kayray

Post by kayray »

Ta-da!
http://kayray.org/audiobooks/librivox/misc/historyoftheUSpt1_11_charlesandmarybeard.mp3
7.5MB, 8:10

Good book! I'll grab another section after I get a bit further on my several solos :)
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Wow, Kara, You ROCK!!!

Thanks a bunch, TTM

Caet (and/or Kara),

One thing I'm not clear on (of many, of course): Do I check the "Complete" box now, or after prooflistening :?
kayray

Post by kayray »

Check it now, and then after it's PL'd mark it "ok to catalog" in the notes field :)
Kara
--------
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Hey Caet,

The preface is here:
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php/1274196/historyoftheUSpt101charlesandmarybeard.mp3

I guess they keep it for a while, so I'll put it in the MW till you find a permanent home for it.

Thanks, TTM
trioptimum

Post by trioptimum »

Can I grab section 8, The Colonial Press, please?
Equipment: AT2020 mic, Audition CC on Mac, and peppermint tea :)

My Catalogue Page
My Tumblr
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

trioptimum wrote:Can I grab section 8, The Colonial Press, please?
Absolutely!!

Great to have you aboard.

Thanks, TTM
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

k, So I've found us some server space and uploaded the files there -- just to have them all in one location.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Caeristhiona wrote:k, So I've found us some server space and uploaded the files there -- just to have them all in one location.
Would you like me to do it directly?

Thanks, ttm
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Unfortunately, I don't believe the uploader is working -- so for now I will just have to do it myself.

Don't worry, I can stay on top of it. :)
-- Jeffrey Rowland