COMPLETE: The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius - NF/ct

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-meditations-of-marcus-aurelius/

The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius by Marcus Aurelius Antoninus. [Translated by George Long].

Marcus Aurelius wrote Meditations in Greek while on campaign between 170 and 180, as a source for his own guidance and self-improvement. These memos survive and continue to inspire others to this day. These writings take the form of quotations varying in length from one sentence to long paragraphs in which he explicates the stoic ideal of non-attachment, a skill which, he says, will free a man from the pains and pleasures of the material world. He claims that the only way a man can be harmed by others is to allow his reaction to overpower him. He shows no particular religious faith in his writings, but seems to believe that some sort of logical, benevolent force organizes the universe in such a way that even "bad" occurrences happen for the good of the whole.

Books 1-3, and 12 should take 15-20 minutes to read; the remaining sections of the Meditations 20-30minutes. Section 13 (Biographical Notes) will probably run about 40 minutes.

1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: August 1 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.bartleby.com/2/3/
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!

(Admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "[Chapter number] of Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius by Marcus Aurelius Antoninus. [Translated by George Long].. [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius by Marcus Aurelius Antoninus. [Translated by George Long].]."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    meditations_##_marcusaurelius.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. meditations_01_marcusaurelius.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Marcus Aurelius
    Album: Meditations

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    • If you have your own server space, post the link here. Please leave the file in this location until the project is catalogued.
    • If you don't have your own server space, you'll need to transfer the file to one of the free servers available. For a list of options, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
    • the file size of your .mp3 file.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Ticktockman on July 18th, 2007, 6:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
Aegist

Post by Aegist »

I'll take the introduction as a starter.

I do have server space if that helps...
http://www.sportsarbitrageguide.com and http://www.surebetbookies.com
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Aegist wrote:I'll take the introduction as a starter.

I do have server space if that helps...
Great!

Once we have an MC, we can see what they want to do about server space...

Ciao for now, TTM
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

I thought for sure you already have an MC! OK, I can pick this one up.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

k, It's in the catalog.

Now, if I remember correctly you guys are co-BCing this project? In any case you're both entered as BC for the time being. I can change that if it's not correct.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

AllRIGHT!!

Together, again 8)

I don't know what co-BCing is, but will continue to do what I always do...
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Oh, okay. Co-BCing basically means, both of you are entered as BCs, so either of you can edit the box etc.

It's a weird new arrangement we have, but kind of cool.

So yeah, lol, the best thing to do is probably keep doing what you always do...
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

And what I usually always :?: do is screw up...I put the links in the Title columns, as, except for 13 & 14, there aren't any titles beyond the Section number.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

lol...Looks fine, TTM. :)
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Guess I've still got a few neurons firing in the right order :roll:

Thanks for picking up this project, boss...ttm
davyobrian

Post by davyobrian »

Hi people. I've not done this before, but I like M.A. so I thought I might want to do one of these. I had just a few questions though: Do we read the numbers of the passages within the chapters as we go along? Do we read the things inside brackets, e.g. "FROM my grandfather Verus good morals and the government of my temper."? Am I right in thinking that the instructions here say to start with "[Chapter number] of Meditations of Marcus Aurelius"... then the LibriVox stuff... then on to "The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius by Marcus Aurelius Antoninus. [Translated by George Long].. [Chapter]"? If so, isn't that kind of redundant (no offense), but maybe there is a reason? It seems that most (but not all) of the recordings I've heard start directly with "This is a LibriVox recording..." Sorry for the questions, but if I make a recording, I'd like to get all the details right. Would it be possible for me to get a link to one of the completed sections of this, to listen to as an example?
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Hi davyobrian,

Welcome to LibriVox!

First of all, I am totally with you on the redundancy issue,so I'll leave that one to our MC, Caeristhiona :?

Though everyone has their styles, I like to try to do whatever will make whatever we're reading easier for listeners to follow. In this case, I'd read the numbers, and whatever is in the brackets.

As sections are done, I'll put the links into the "magic box" in the title post. You're joining us on the ground floor, so we may not have a file to listen to for a while (the section that I've claimed is not part of the Meditations proper). If I can get a few quiet moments tomorrow, I'll try to claim and record a section.

My experience of LV is that we definitely don't sweat the small stuff(which is pretty much everything except copyright/public domain issues).

Looking forward to your participation :thumbs:

TTM
alejandro

Post by alejandro »

Hi. I am new to this, but would love to record sections 01 and 02. Please let me know if I am OK with this.

Alex
:D
Alejandro Rodriguez
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Hey Alex,

Welcome to LibriVox!!

You are most welcome to record 1 & 2, but we always encourage submission of a short segment unless you're really comfortable with the technical aspects of recording.

Look forward to hearing you :thumbs:

TTM
alejandro

Post by alejandro »

Thanks TTM. I can handle the technical stuff and will have something to you soon.

Alex
Ticktockman wrote:Hey Alex,

Welcome to LibriVox!!

You are most welcome to record 1 & 2, but we always encourage submission of a short segment unless you're really comfortable with the technical aspects of recording.

Look forward to hearing you :thumbs:

TTM
Alejandro Rodriguez