and finally, section 6 is pl ok! :thumbs:
Carolin
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

Hi, Section 20 again

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/poems_20_meynell.mp3

and also 29,

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/poems_29_meynell.mp3

The first time I did that one it seemed as though it was full of bumps, listening on headphones anyway, I hope this one's better. I think it might just be just my rubbish mic, though I don't want to be a bad workman! I'll leave doing any more till these are PLed anyway. :?

Lucy
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

LucyK wrote:Hi, Section 20 again

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/poems_20_meynell.mp3

and also 29,

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/poems_29_meynell.mp3

The first time I did that one it seemed as though it was full of bumps, listening on headphones anyway, I hope this one's better. I think it might just be just my rubbish mic, though I don't want to be a bad workman! I'll leave doing any more till these are PLed anyway. :?

Lucy
Hello Lucy

thank you for your contributions, both 20 and 29 are PL ok now. I can hear no bumps, not even with my headphones. The volume is checker ok and you inserted the disclaimer at the end. Beautifully read as well, so all ok.

Keep up the good work, I hope you’re enjoying it in here. :)

Sonia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you lucy and sonia!
Carolin
likefood

Post by likefood »

I wanted to bring up a tiny detail. Before I started reading for this group of poems, I did a brief internet search for how to pronounce Meynell. What I found was "MAY-nl", but everyone who had read before me all pronounced it "may-NEL". In the interest of being consistent, I kept reading it as "may-NEL" also. However, Lucy pronounced it "MAY-nl" and it sounded better to me.

Additionally, I found a University of Texas web page (from their Dept of French and Italian) that mentions that in French the final syllable is always stressed, whereas in English it's often the second- or third-to-last syllable. The surname database website says the name comes from either Middle English, Old French, or an old Germanic language, so that doesn't narrow it down. However, I'm gonna go with Lucy's pronunciation.

Instead of re-reading my sections, I was thinking of just changing my pronunciation from here on out, to "MAY-nl". What do you think? Am I over-thinking it? :D
- Daniel
老黄
L.P.H.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

i can also get caught up in these things, dont worry :)

there are always going to be variations in pronunciation. even a straight forward name as miller is going to sound different if said by someone from ireland, arkansas, wales, australia, and lets not even bring in foreign accents. so i will accept all pronunciations (especially because i myself would also have pronounced that name as something like "may-néll"). but that said, i like that you pay attention to the details, and im sure a lot of listeners also appreciate it -- we cant exactly ask ms meynell what she prefers :D

so you get to say that name how you like, and you can change it if you prefer the other pronunciation (no need to edit poems that are already pl ok though).
Carolin
likefood

Post by likefood »

I have a new microphone coming in the mail, so I'm not going to request to read another poem until I give the new mic a whirl. :)
- Daniel
老黄
L.P.H.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

exciting! :mrgreen:
Carolin
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

thanks for the PL Sonia, glad it was OK, I think perhaps the bumps are in the headphones or something! Here's no 10, the loooong one!

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/poems_10_meynell.mp3

I hope it's OK, I had to re-read it several times, I'm not au fait with the software enough yet just to re-record a section, or when I tried I found it threw me out anyway and I just made more mistakes, but I'm going to have to get used to 'cutting and pasting' when I do longer readings and can't always go back to the beginning. Back to the video tutorials! :hmm:

Re the pronunciation: whenever I've come across Alice referred to I think I've only ever heard MAY-nl. I think with -ell names there's a tendency in American English to stress the final syllable, and not to in British. Or maybe putting the stress on the -ell is a bit more posh - I was at uni with a chap whose (family) name was Rendell, everyone said 'RendELL' but he decided that it wasn't quite 'man of the people' enough for his political aims and aspirations so he announced he wanted it pronounced 'Rendle'. Or so the story went!

I've got a nice new mic on order too, can't wait! :)
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you lucy!

how long is the recording (mm:ss)? thanks!
Carolin
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

LucyK wrote:thanks for the PL Sonia, glad it was OK, I think perhaps the bumps are in the headphones or something! Here's no 10, the loooong one!

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/poems_10_meynell.mp3

I hope it's OK, I had to re-read it several times, I'm not au fait with the software enough yet just to re-record a section, or when I tried I found it threw me out anyway and I just made more mistakes, but I'm going to have to get used to 'cutting and pasting' when I do longer readings and can't always go back to the beginning. Back to the video tutorials! :hmm:

Re the pronunciation: whenever I've come across Alice referred to I think I've only ever heard MAY-nl. I think with -ell names there's a tendency in American English to stress the final syllable, and not to in British. Or maybe putting the stress on the -ell is a bit more posh - I was at uni with a chap whose (family) name was Rendell, everyone said 'RendELL' but he decided that it wasn't quite 'man of the people' enough for his political aims and aspirations so he announced he wanted it pronounced 'Rendle'. Or so the story went!

I've got a nice new mic on order too, can't wait! :)
Hello Lucy

nice reading again. I loved the atmosphere in this poem.

At one point you said “mountains” instead of “mountain” but I won’t be nitpicky ;)

At 3:03 minutes though, you said “Oh, hush, hush, hush!”. Correct would be “Oh, hush; oh, hush!” and since the “hush hush hush” part gets repeated in the second line, I think Meynell wanted to emphasize it there, so it would be better to do the exact wording here in the first line, to clearly note the emphasis in the second line.

Could you please re-do only that first line ? The rest of the poem was perfect.

Carolin, the poem is 3:51 min. long, I just saw that in my audio-program. I will change it in the MW as well.

Sonia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you sonia!
Carolin
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

Hi Sonia,

You're quite right, sorry about that! Trouble is just replacing one line is beyond my skills with Audacity :oops: ! (which is why I started on shorter poems, as it's simpler just to start over instead). But as I probably won't be able to record again till tomorrow morning, when I get the quiet I need, I shall research some tutorials and find out how :wink:

Lucy