[COMPLETE]The Joss: a Reversion by Richard Marsh-icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Newgatenovelist wrote:Well done - chapter 9 is PL OK!
Happiness. Thanks for checking so fast.

I will probably start on chapter 10 tonight. Not sure if I can finish in one evening though.
You're right, the book is really good. Having listened to Max Lander's 'sections', it's all starting to come together. I'm really looking forward to hearing your character's perspective on the events in the story.
You're actually reading it from back to front ? Before I started reading my parts I read the entire book, because I wanted to know how the different characters developed. It helps me to know how I should "play" them. (I also was curious how it all turned out LOL)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Kitty wrote:
Newgatenovelist wrote:Well done - chapter 9 is PL OK!
Happiness. Thanks for checking so fast.

I will probably start on chapter 10 tonight. Not sure if I can finish in one evening though.
You're right, the book is really good. Having listened to Max Lander's 'sections', it's all starting to come together. I'm really looking forward to hearing your character's perspective on the events in the story.
You're actually reading it from back to front ? Before I started reading my parts I read the entire book, because I wanted to know how the different characters developed. It helps me to know how I should "play" them. (I also was curious how it all turned out LOL)

Sonia

No rush - really! If it takes two or three (or more) nights per chapter, but you're happier doing it that way, then do it that way. This book is great, but please don't burn out reading your first prose sections.

I'm reading the book in the order that chapters are uploaded, and the Max Lander ones were the first to be completed. It's actually dovetailing more conveniently than you'd think with the plot in this novel - I'm sure with some novels I'd end up very confused. :) You've actually hit on the main reason that I'm reluctant to claim chapters in novels that are open as group projects - I feel like I wouldn't do a very good job of reading the characters if I don't know anything about the plot from the rest of the book. I'm not surprised that you read the entire book, because that's what I would want to do, too. It's a bit different listening, or at least it has been for me.

Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Newgatenovelist wrote:No rush - really! If it takes two or three (or more) nights per chapter, but you're happier doing it that way, then do it that way. This book is great, but please don't burn out reading your first prose sections.
Don't worry, I'm not gonna burn out. If I need to take a break, I do that in time. But this evening actually went better than expected. I did it in sessions of 3 pages, then pausing and cleaning them, before tackling the next 3. This was quite a good way of doing it. :) I finished chapter 10 *jumps up and down uncontrollably* (we need a smilie for that emotion)

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/jossareversion_10_marsh_128kb.mp3
(Recording time: 16:12 min.)
I'm reading the book in the order that chapters are uploaded, and the Max Lander ones were the first to be completed. It's actually dovetailing more conveniently than you'd think with the plot in this novel - I'm sure with some novels I'd end up very confused. :)
I especially liked it that in the narratives of the 4 persons, the plot always gets repeated somehow with a bit of a twist, each time getting explained a bit more. It's a great way of storytelling. It's my first Richard Marsh novel, but if they're all as good, I should like to read some more.

That's enough for this evening though. I might relax with a small poem later on, but now for a break.

Sonia
Newgatenovelist

Go Sonia! Chapter 10 is PL OK :thumbs:

If you're enjoying this Marsh novel, you might want to read/listen to The Beetle, which was done by the same BC who's doing this book, with different readers taking different characters' narratives. It has an evil bug, so that ought to tempt you. :D

Have a good evening!

Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Newgatenovelist wrote:Go Sonia! Chapter 10 is PL OK :thumbs:
Thanks ! I was prolific tonight as well. Just managed to finish chapter 11. So you have something to read over the weekend :wink:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/jossareversion_11_marsh_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 15:36 min.
If you're enjoying this Marsh novel, you might want to read/listen to The Beetle, which was done by the same BC who's doing this book, with different readers taking different characters' narratives. It has an evil bug, so that ought to tempt you. :D

Why would you think evil bugs would tempt me :shock: Well, it does sound interesting...in this chapter you will encounter "myriads of rats", so I've got a treat for you as well in that department :mrgreen: Enjoy!

Have a good weekend
Sonia
Newgatenovelist

Chapter 11 is PL OK!

Perhaps I was projecting my own interests with the evil bug. I like supernatural stories, and I like the unexpected in Victorian fiction - and evil bugs definitely fit both of those categories. :mrgreen:

Have a good weekend!

Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Newgatenovelist wrote:Chapter 11 is PL OK!
You are fast !
Perhaps I was projecting my own interests with the evil bug. I like supernatural stories, and I like the unexpected in Victorian fiction - and evil bugs definitely fit both of those categories. :mrgreen:
Oh, I love supernatural stories as well...my comment should rather have been ironic. It DOES sound interesting, and I will read the story ! Even though evil bugs always remind me of those scenes in The Mummy (with Brendan Fraser). *shudders* In case you know it, or ever see it, you will know what I mean...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Got another one for you, Erin. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/jossareversion_12_marsh_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 17:04 min.

The next two chapters are the longest...I probably need more time for them. But I hope I can do one more at least over the weekend. Stay tuned.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Shortly after midnight, and I have finished chapter 13 !!

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/jossareversion_13_marsh_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 19:10 min. (is it just me or are the chapters getting longer...)

And now I need my well-deserved bed. Good night.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

And today's contribution. Chapter 14: recording time: 18:10 min.
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/jossareversion_14_marsh_128kb.mp3

two more to go, yay !

Sonia
Newgatenovelist

This is quite a sprint! Chapter 12 and 13 are PL OK. I'll PL chapter 14 tomorrow.

I have seen The Mummy. I like mummies generally, and I know the icky bugs in that film!

Have a good evening!
Off LV 25-28 March.
Newgatenovelist

Chapter 14 is (of course) PL OK.
Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Erin

just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten the last two chapters I have to read...it's just at the moment I seem to have every evening something else, so that I don't have enough time and quiet space to record one entire chapter. This weekend I will be away on a short trip as well. But I promise at the latest next week, I will probably find the time again, to finish this assignement.

Sonia
Newgatenovelist

Thanks for the update. Not to worry - I think the last week or so has been rather unkind to a lot of people. Focus on the other things right now, and, if it's a pleasurable journey coming up, I hope you have a good time and come back recharged.
Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I managed to finish chapter 15 tonight :9:

Polly was really too mean in this chapter, I don't like her at all.
I am quite happy with my "threatening" voice at the end, though. :twisted:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/jossareversion_15_marsh_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 16:30 min.

Only one chapter left. I try to do it tomorrow, so I'll be done before I leave for my weekend trip. Would be good to have something finished.
Sonia