Wondering about the mix of nationalities on Librivox

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Eastern Canadians pronounce 'about' as 'a boot' ... or something close to it. I'm constantly defending the western Canadian accent when US acquaintances say to me "You don't sound Canadian, you don't say aboot." I generally respond with something to the effect that "Canada is larger geographically than the US. You have many many accents across your country ... so do we."
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I wonder how many people on Librivox have spotted the difference between the Australian and New Zealand accents?

Hint: The Land of the Long, White Cloud is also that of the Short, Stunted Vowel Sound. :wink:
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

And that is a rash generalisation :D . My NZ relations don't speak like that at all. Just like all the American for example don't say words in the same way, nor English and I've been told French, Norwegian and German.

Anne
glennobrien

Post by glennobrien »

There is a chart on Wikipedia about pronunciation for English dialects: International Phonetic Alphabet chart for English dialects