Dramatic Reading Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

Anyone considering of doing this future si-fi book by Jules Verne as DR?

From the Earth to the Moon
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/83
~Jessie

Epic Music composer studying Film and Media Arts, BA :D
I love lights, camera, colors, and story!
Here are some tunes I made.

Staying in the U.S. starting Fall 2021.
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

I actually made scripts of the first few chapters (months ago), just to see if it would make a good DR (I don't want to BC it, and I won't have space for a while anyway). I don't think there's a whole lot of dialogue, but probably enough for a DR. :)

Were you thinking of doing it once Michael Strogoff is done? I'd love to help!
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

SweetPea wrote:I actually made scripts of the first few chapters (months ago), just to see if it would make a good DR (I don't want to BC it, and I won't have space for a while anyway). I don't think there's a whole lot of dialogue, but probably enough for a DR. :)

Were you thinking of doing it once Michael Strogoff is done? I'd love to help!
Yup. Thanks for your interest!
~Jessie

Epic Music composer studying Film and Media Arts, BA :D
I love lights, camera, colors, and story!
Here are some tunes I made.

Staying in the U.S. starting Fall 2021.
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

The dramatic reading of Oliver Twist is on the launch pad. Lots of parts of various sizes left to claim! :)

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58722

Thanks!
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
BillyShakespeare

Post by BillyShakespeare »

thistlechick wrote:I'm not a fan of Shakespeare and would like to see more "contemporary" plays...

I'm willing to coordinate another one, if someone else is willing to edit =)
Who's a fan of me :D
~Billy~
Hand Crafted Pens, come and see my collection here:
PenTurner

Got stories Swimming around in your head? why not write them down? I worked for me. although I'm still writing.
Kingdom Pen Dot Org

So much to do... and write... and think... and say.... BillyShakespeare
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I've got a web page (actually wordpress) where I'm attempting to put the complete surviving works of Thomas Dekker online. You could do any of these. As you can see, it's a work in progress, but may plays are complete. https://bradfilippone.wordpress.com/

The Shoemaker's Holiday and The Witch of Edmonton are already in progress as LibriVox projects though.

Brad
EstherbenSimonides

Post by EstherbenSimonides »

I've started Jessica's First Prayer and Jessica's Mother:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59128
There are main male and female parts open. (And also very, very short parts.) :)
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

I'm planning on starting a DR of The Spanish Brothers by Deborah Alcock soon. I'll be narrating, but I'm looking for a PL--and also to see if there's interest. It's about 2 brothers during the Spanish Reformation who want to find their father (who's been missing since before they can remember). I'll be making the three main male characters gender specific and everything else neutral. If anyone's interested please post here or PM me. The gutenberg book is here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/44262 Thanks! :)
Adele

Post by SweetPea »

I'm interested. :)
Rachel

JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

The teacup club is on Gutenberg. I skimmed it and it is virtually all dialogue. About 6-8 female voices.

Sorry, not volunteering, just bringing to your attention.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/50751
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
wib66

Post by wib66 »

JenniferFour wrote:The teacup club is on Gutenberg. I skimmed it and it is virtually all dialogue. About 6-8 female voices.

Sorry, not volunteering, just bringing to your attention.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/50751
A great suggestion which a couple of us are going to set up and run in the new year so look out for the launch.

:9:
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

This isn't so much a suggestion for a long DR as a general question about shorter pieces.

For the last weekly poetry project, some readers recorded the poem as a duet, and in some of Carolin's poetry volumes, short plays are included.

Where might the best place be to place something of that sort that wouldn't really fit conveniently in the next one-act plays collection? I can appreciate that the DR scenes and short story collection took a very long time to complete, and that opening another one would be a bit much for anyone to contemplate right now. It also seems like far too much work for the MC to catalogue as a stand-alone project, and I'm assuming that a DR short story could potentially hold up an entire short story collection. Is there a very obvious solution?

Erin
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We have had similar things in the past which are presented to the collection as "finished products" for PLing - that is collected and edited
There are probably more examples but I can think of Christmas Carol duets, The English group and a Canadian group who got together , recorded something and submitted it to to an appropiate collection. And we've had a few family things done
But I have the feeling you want to do it in the forum :D . There is no way set up for this , it would require some creative juggling on things . So maybe come up with an idea of what you want to do and some thinking can be done ?

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

I hadn't thought about that, so thank you. I had just assumed that throwing it open to others on the forum would be easiest. Unluckily, my husband has no interest in recording, and I live abroad, where I couldn't really invite lots of locals to have a group recording session.

I had mentioned it on this forum as I thought it might interest readers who didn't want to commit to a longer project at the moment. Personally, I would be able to edit a shorter story/poem in the next month or two, but not a longer play (even assuming that I could launch a full play - I've only edited a one-act play so far), hence my preference for a single, short work.

Thank you again for the suggestions!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I still think the DR Scenes and Stories collection was a brilliant way to do it. The first few stories went in fine - there were just a few that dragged the chain a bit. Still, there's not exactly a rush on, so I still think that's the best way to work it out. I just feel sorry for the poor MC and overall BC who have to manage the MW!

Although given the variety of stories that ended up in there, I wonder if separate "children" and "general" DR collections might be the way to go next time. I think children's stories lend themselves well to DRs but I'm not sure that mixed with some rather dark dystopian short stories was truly ideal. JMO.