COMPLETE: Gypsy Flight by Roy J. Snell -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Bead Krazy Dawn

Post by Bead Krazy Dawn »

Gypsy Flight by Roy J. Snell (1878 - 1959).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on the catalog page.
https://librivox.org/gypsy-flight-by-roy-j-snell/
Rosemary Sample, an airplane stewardess, meets a mysterious dark lady on a flight to Salt Lake City. The plane is forced down overnight by a snowstorm. The passengers spend the night in a Hunting Lodge. In the morning, the dark lady finds her bag missing. It contains important papers that may mean the life or death of thousands of people in the small town of Happy Vale. ( Dawn Larsen)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/46814
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure

Keywords that describe the book: Mystery, spies, airplanes, young girls

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Gypsy Flight by Roy J. Snell. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Gypsy Flight by Roy J. Snell, by Roy J. Snell. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Gypsy Flight by Roy J. Snell by Roy J. Snell. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Gypsy Flight by Roy J. Snell, by Roy J. Snell. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename gypsyflight_##_snell_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. gypsyflight_01_snell_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags (NOTE: ID3 tags are now optional - they are added automatically during cataloging)
    Artist: Roy J. Snell
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Gypsy Flight by Roy J. Snell

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
You can't talk yourself out of what you behaved yourself into. Stephen Covey
Bead Krazy Dawn

Hi All,

Been years since I recorded. Had a sample checked and was okay. If there's anything I need to do, let me know.

My DPL is max farce, Don Jenkins.

Thanks, Dawn
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Dawn,

Nice to see you back to recording. I'll MC for you. :)
Jo
Bead Krazy Dawn

Hi Jo. Nice to see you too.
Bead Krazy Dawn

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/gypsyflight_01_snell.mp3

Here we go. PLing is easy. Listen and check for the same things you do when recording. Intro/outro has disclaimer, book name, correct chapter number etc...outro has end of chapter number and 5/10 seconds silence. Any mistakes, just write down the time and let me know.

Be warned. My best friend won't listen to my recordings. She says they are too slow and put her to sleep. :P I quit recording years ago when I had teeth pulled and my mouth started making noises that I couldn't edit out. But I decided that I am going to record anyway!

Dawn :9:
maxfarce

Post by maxfarce »

Chapter 01 is PL OK! :clap:

You have a very nice recording voice and style. Not too slow; just right.

Ah, those must have been the halcyon days of flying--10 passengers. I've flown enough cattle car flights on Southwest (first come, first served) to find 10 passengers quite enticing. At least on the overseas flights we had assigned seats. I don't envy the 170 MPH though. The dark lady may be a red herring; I'd watch that Danby fellow. I'm pretty sure the gypsy girl is going to save the day. You've already done the whole book, so no spoilers.

Don :P
Bead Krazy Dawn

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/gypsyflight_02_snell.mp3

And here's chapter 2.

No spoilers. These are light and easy mysteries for girls. Still fun though. I read these about the same time I read Little House, Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew.

I have only flown for one trip. Was exciting to me. Mpls/St. Paul to Denver then a 12 seat plane into Cheyenne. Rented a car from there. The mountains were amazing but the drop into Denver made me a little nervous. Funny that I got a little queasy from the huge plane and had no problem with the puddle jumper. Never had an issue with the helicopter my friend used for crop dusting either.

:9:
maxfarce

Post by maxfarce »

Section 02 is PL OK!

Are these some random Gypsies, or will they save the day later on? You know the rule about the gun in the first act--it will be fired before the end of the play. The lovely pilot in the first act will swoop in and save everyone with the machine guns hidden on her plane, leaving Rosemary to make waffles for one and all. Or something like that.

Don
Bead Krazy Dawn

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/gypsyflight_03_snell.mp3

Great minds think alike. I was listening to this as you were listening to the last chapter. LOL

Summer swooped in for a swan song. Yesterday it was 65 and sunny. Took a lunch over to the pond and watched the Canadian Geese taking off. Huge flocks heading south. Read some of a great book too. I think this is my fourth or fifth time. His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik. Napoleonic war times but England has an Air Corp full of Dragons. A Naval officer captures a French ship to find a big dragon egg in the hold. It's nearly time for it to hatch...

Dawn
Bead Krazy Dawn

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/gypsyflight_04_snell.mp3

Section 4 is ready for PL.

Been busy here. Making about 40 cards for Christmas. Stamped pine trees with sparkles for red and blue lights and ribbon woven into the edge. Not very fancy this year. But pretty.

Three days of major wind and last night our first hard freeze. Was 23 degrees overnight. My apartment stays a fairly constant 72-74 degrees year round. But I still felt chilly and put the quilt on my bed. I'm fairly certain it's emotional, read mental, this need for the quilt when the indoor temp never changes.

maxfarce

Post by maxfarce »

Sections 3 & 4 are PL A-OK! Roger that.

Sorry about the delay. We just got back from our annual TG week trip to the SF Bay Area for the family do. My wife's mom is in her 80's and quite debilitated after back and then neck surgery in one year. There is always the concern she won't be around all that long, so we do our duty. We have two kids in Oakland, and the one in the LA area flew up with his wife. It was a gathering not without its family friction, as is traditional on holidays, right? My daughter, who is edgy and can be off-putting, does not care for our daughter-in-law, who is very sweet and very outgoing. Doesn't want another sister in the family. Too bad. We stopped for a couple of days in Santa Barbara on the way to the Bay Area. Such a pleasant place to get away. Such an expensive place to live. We took a side trip to Solvang, which is a Danish settlement that has become a tourist stop full of quasi-Danish kitsch. My wife has Danish heritage and a love of good Danish kitsch, so we bought stuff. Home now and back at it. I have to complete the Christmas program for our congregation and get the choir rehearsed, plus this is the week of final rehearsals for the December concert for the chorus I sing in. All good fun and then we can have Christmas at our house and survive the frictions again. May I come and just help you with your cards. Sounds a lot more peaceful.

I love it when I learn things in doing a book. I was unaware that there had been a Hotel Temple Square in SLC in the '30's. There was the largish Hotel Utah, but a small hotel was opened in the '30's on the corner just across from Temple Square. It survived and was rennovated in later years into a boutique inn, but it was demolished in 2008 to make way for a larger commercial project and church owned pedestrian area between the Hotel Utah and Temple Square. Fact is,. church corporations have their fingers in all the stuff in the surrounding area. As one might expect.

I know, TMI :P
Don
Bead Krazy Dawn

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/gypsyflight_05_snell.mp3

Here's section 5.

I must say I would never have found that bag where the Dark Lady hid it. But I would have loved spending the night in the lovely rustic hunting cabin. That's my kind of thing. Spend hours looking out over the landscape and up into the mountains.

Happy New Year to you and the family.

PS Never TMI. You can tell me all the great bits you like!
maxfarce

Post by maxfarce »

Chapter 05 is PL OK. :!:

My wife and I went to a very interesting exhibit at a very nice, not too large museum up the road about 100 miles in Santa Ana called the Bowers Museum. They have so many outstanding exhibits that we have a membership there and go regularly, despite having dozens of museums in San Diego. We also spend a lot of time in our local museums because we, particularly my wife, are museum junhkies. I can't equal her, though; she will read every tag, watch every video, and look carerfully at everything until they throw us out at closing. She has an insatiable curiosity, and it rubs off. We consider ourselves lifelong learners. Anyway, the exhibit was called "The Red that Changed the World," and it was about the history and spread of the red dyes made from the parasitic insect found on prickly pears, particularly in Central America, cochineal. Dyes historically were mostly vegetable and pretty subdued and brown, but cochineal could be made not only red, but by adding acid or base to it you can change the color to purple or blue, so it was pretty revolutionary in the world of fashion a couple of centuries ago. Royal purple as you probably know is another natural dye used as early as 1500 BC by the Phoenicians, and it was derived from a secretion of the Murex sea-snail. It was hard to come by and very expensive, and its manufacture became controlled by royalty and it was reserved for their use. It had the interesting properties of not fading with time and light exposure, but becoming brighter.

I'm wondering if our author was inspired by the accidental discovery of the first analine dye in 1859 by a young chemist who was trying to synthesize quinine. He would up with a residue that colored his hands and some cloth a pale purple. He marketed it, and it was very popular until it was found that it faded. It was called mauve, and it led to a lot of new colors from synthetic dyes. I'll be interested to see what the dye thread in our story is.

I caught someone's cold and haven't had the voice to do Mr. Dooley, but I'll get there.

Don 8-)
Bead Krazy Dawn

Oh, no. Get well very soon. :9:

That's really fascinating. I know nothing really about fabric dye. Did know that the true royal purple was very rare and reserved for royal families.

I am the same way with museums. Get there early, see and read everything. Art galleries too. I just loved going to Watertown, South Dakota to the Terry Redlin art museum. Spent the day there and had to go back a second day. My favorite museum is the Journey museum in SD. You get a speaker stick and when you stand in front of an exhibit and hold it to your ear it tells you all about it. Loved that. There was a tee pee with an old Native American man that told stories. The beadwork was crazy good and I left with a notebook full of ideas and little drawings.

Get better :!:
Bead Krazy Dawn

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/gypsyflight_06_snell.mp3

I just love the idea of being snowed into a lodge. I would be tempted to stay until spring thaw though. The giant fireplace, beautiful views etc...

We've had a bit of a thaw. It's been into the 30's and melting some. It was lovely to see the sun.