[COMPLETE] Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
stilldeniel

Post by stilldeniel »

Here's Servant Girl in chapter 14. I have already recorded the other chapters, but I just wanted to make sure that what I did was correct. Hope you like it! :D
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/olivertwist5_servantgirl_14.mp3

Deniel
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

EleanorHoward wrote:This is me, volunteering for any remaining female roles. I was thinking Mrs. Maylie, but you did have someone volunteer for that, back on page one of posts.

IRL, I am a middle-aged person, but I think I can do either young or old characters...
Thank you, Eleanor! :D
I will sign you up for Mrs. Maylie. We did have someone claim her, but she changed her mind and decided to read another character instead :)
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

stilldeniel wrote:Here's Servant Girl in chapter 14. I have already recorded the other chapters, but I just wanted to make sure that what I did was correct. Hope you like it! :D

Deniel
Thank you! :D
I'll have a listen this afternoon.
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Deniel, Servant girl Chapter 14 PL notes:
All the lines are there with no mistakes in them. (Congratulations!) And very nicely read too - you've got a lovely voice! :D For dramatic works, it isn't as important to have the volume and things like that all correct, because I'm going to need to adjust the volumes of the different files when I edit them together, so I would normally call this PL OK and make the adjustments in editing.
However, since this is your test, I'm going to point out some technical things for you to fix, just so you get the hang of it, because you are going to have to do it yourself in the future ;)
- The volume is slightly uneven. Nearly everybody has this problem, but it's easy to fix. For this file I tried using the compressor effect. Go to Effect | Compressor and set the Threshold to -14 db, check both check boxes, leave everything else the way it is, and press OK. That will even out the lower peaks so they are closer to the higher ones, so will also make the recording a bit louder. Try to have the waves peak at about the 0.5 line.
- The volume is at 77 db, which falls outside of our target range. We aim for files to be between 86-92 db, with 89 db being ideal. This isn't as important for dramatic works, but if you want to record a regular chapter sometime, you'll be expected to upload your files at the correct volume. Here's the wiki page on how to amplify. You might not need to do much amplifying if you decide to run the compressor, because that will bring up the volume. :)
- You have a high level of background noise, which will only get louder when you amplify. Here's the wiki page on noise removal. After some experimenting, I recommend that you run the noise removal at 15 db. That will leave a little bit but nothing bad, and in my opinion it's better to have a bit of background noise than to have your voice sound all tinny (which will happen if you use too much.) But you try fiddling around with the number and see how you like it. You can't undo noise removal, so make sure to save a copy before experimenting :)
Please make these changes and re-upload with the same file name. Then I'll check it again. Thank you for participating in this project! :)

----------

Kristin, Narrator Chapter 2 is PL OK! :D Narrator Chapter 3, PL notes:
- @ 2:13 the text reads "frame", I heard "fame"
- @ 3:20 the text reads "Mr. Gamfield", I heard "Mrs. Gamfield"
I really enjoy your narration! :D

---------

Algy, Bill Sikes Chapter 13 is PL OK - you did the perfect voice for him! I love it! :D

Thank you, everyone!
Rachel

stilldeniel

Post by stilldeniel »

SweetPea wrote:Deniel, Servant girl Chapter 14 PL notes:
All the lines are there with no mistakes in them. (Congratulations!) And very nicely read too - you've got a lovely voice! :D For dramatic works, it isn't as important to have the volume and things like that all correct, because I'm going to need to adjust the volumes of the different files when I edit them together, so I would normally call this PL OK and make the adjustments in editing.
However, since this is your test, I'm going to point out some technical things for you to fix, just so you get the hang of it, because you are going to have to do it yourself in the future ;)
- The volume is slightly uneven. Nearly everybody has this problem, but it's easy to fix. For this file I tried using the compressor effect. Go to Effect | Compressor and set the Threshold to -14 db, check both check boxes, leave everything else the way it is, and press OK. That will even out the lower peaks so they are closer to the higher ones, so will also make the recording a bit louder. Try to have the waves peak at about the 0.5 line.
- The volume is at 77 db, which falls outside of our target range. We aim for files to be between 86-92 db, with 89 db being ideal. This isn't as important for dramatic works, but if you want to record a regular chapter sometime, you'll be expected to upload your files at the correct volume. Here's the wiki page on how to amplify. You might not need to do much amplifying if you decide to run the compressor, because that will bring up the volume. :)
- You have a high level of background noise, which will only get louder when you amplify. Here's the wiki page on noise removal. After some experimenting, I recommend that you run the noise removal at 15 db. That will leave a little bit but nothing bad, and in my opinion it's better to have a bit of background noise than to have your voice sound all tinny (which will happen if you use too much.) But you try fiddling around with the number and see how you like it. You can't undo noise removal, so make sure to save a copy before experimenting :)
Please make these changes and re-upload with the same file name. Then I'll check it again. Thank you for participating in this project! :)

----------

Kristin, Narrator Chapter 2 is PL OK! :D Narrator Chapter 3, PL notes:
- @ 2:13 the text reads "frame", I heard "fame"
- @ 3:20 the text reads "Mr. Gamfield", I heard "Mrs. Gamfield"
I really enjoy your narration! :D

---------

Algy, Bill Sikes Chapter 13 is PL OK - you did the perfect voice for him! I love it! :D

Thank you, everyone!

Here's the redo on Servant Girl, Chapter 14. Is this one better? :D

Deniel
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Perfect! PL OK, and now you are free to record anything you like! :clap:

(If anyone asks if you've had your test OK'ed, point them to this post :))

Thanks!
Rachel

stilldeniel

Post by stilldeniel »

MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Rachel

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Beth, the public-house owner is PL OK. (I thought I had posted that but I guess I forgot.)

Thanks! :)
Rachel

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Mr. Brownlow Chapter 10 is PL OK! :D
Over half of it was "stop thief" - wow :lol:
Edit: Chapter 11 is PL OK too. Good job!
Rachel

Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Wow, I see most of the best parts are taken already lol. I'm in the process of doing solo readings of Dickens' complete works, so I'll get to this one eventually anyway. But if you'd like me to take on a small part in this project, I'd be up for it. :)
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

I'd love to have you read a part in this project! Whichever you would like. :)
Rachel