Don't use ReplayGain Normalize

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
carteki

Post by carteki »

So I updated my version of Audacity and ReplayGain, but the "Normalize" function seems to have been set at 91db (and yes, the slider is on 0) - so don't use the Normalize function, rather use Amplify.

Also - it would be useful if Normalize is fixed - to get feedback on what change was made. This way I can go "Normalize" and then "undo" if the change was not necessary, rather than "Analyze" and then "Normalize". (I'm currently editing a DR with volumes all over the place).

Thanks
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hi Kim,
Hmm, that's strange! When I use the Normalize in ReplayGain, it does take the recording to 89 dB, not 91 dB. It will be good to get more reactions in this thread to get experiences from other people and find out whether we should use it or not. Because it is a handy tool if it works, but I agree that it should be avoided if it doesn't function properly.
There is also a concern if you have a very spiky recording that using this Normalize in ReplayGain it may lead to cutting off of some of the audio - although when I tried it on several random test recordings in the Listeners Wanted thread (I always try things out on the recording before I post an advice) I have never seen such cutting off.

I didn't understand your second paragraph about the undoing of changes?
Anna
smike

Post by smike »

Maybe those of us who don't have problems just should avoid updating audacity and replay gain?
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
carteki

Post by carteki »

smike wrote:Maybe those of us who don't have problems just should avoid updating audacity and replay gain?
Always a good idea ... I dislike updating software because things change. I avoided updating iTunes for years because every time I do I lose my album covers :( but in helping create m4b's for the project I had to. I can barely navigate the program now :(
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

I can't replicate the problem.

I'm using Windows 7 with Audacity 2.1.1 [the latest recommended version]

I usually use Version 1 of the ReplayGain plugin [the one without the normalize/analyze option] but I've now also installed version 3 from here - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4685

Using Version 3 with both the Normalize and Analyze functions I get identical results which both agree with Version 1 of the plugin. :hmm:

-Ian
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

There are THREE versions now? :shock:

Does the third one have an option to prevent clipping when Normalizing? The second one doesn't, which is a bad thing.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

Hi Ruth,
Not really, sorry if I'm confusing things!

I called it version 3 because that's what it's called in the code. Open the 'updated' version in a text editor, and you'll see it calls itself Version 3. Maybe we should refer to them as 'original' and 'updated'.

The updated one is the one that potentially clips when using the Normalyze option. Which is a good reason not to use that option, or indeed that version. I personally think that using the original one and then Amplify... is a better way to do things, and hardly any more work.

The main point was that I can't replicate Kim's problem using the latest version.

-Ian