[COMPLETE]The Joss: a Reversion by Richard Marsh-icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

hertzm wrote:Hi, I am very new to volunteering for LibriVox, but I would love to volunteer for the first part (chapters 1-8). Let me know what the process is to get started and I'll be ready right away!

Hello Hertzm,

The first place you can visit to get a feel for things is the Newbie Guide to Recording:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

Once you've got to grips with what's there, it's a good idea to post a very short test in the Listeners and Editors Wanted section of the forum. It's a test of your technical settings, not an audition. Info about that is here:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

Erin
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

Hi Erin,
You know I wondered about that & yes, I'm familiar with the snack. You know why I read "quavers"?
I have the Kindle version & I'd be interested to know if the text you're using has "quarters" or "quavers"?
I only left it because I thought it might be a 'ye olde English' word???
No worries.....I'll redo
Cheers
David
When the power of Love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. Jimi Hendrix
Newgatenovelist

Hi David,

Thank goodness you know what I'm talking about, because trying to explain heavily processed 'cheese' products is beyond me.

I downloaded the pdf of the scan on the Internet Archive, and that says 'quarters'. I'm afraid that I can't give much technical advice with a Kindle specifically, but I know that with my elderly e-reader (not a Kindle), I quit downloading epubs that were derived from scanned texts because they were so wildly inaccurate with English, let alone with words or phrases in any other language. I don't know if this issue has been resolved for newer or different models, but perhaps something similar has occurred with your Kindle?

You made me curious, so I very quickly searched for it because I don't know the word's etymology. Merriam-Webster's online dictionary is telling me that when it's used as a noun, it specifically means tremulousness in a voice or speech. Admittedly, this is the free part of their site, but it doesn't suggest that there is any more to the entry behind a paywall.

This is much more edifying than my original query about Quavers the junk food!
Erin
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

When the power of Love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. Jimi Hendrix
Newgatenovelist

Chapters 28 and 29 are PL OK. The Joss is great!
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

Newgatenovelist

Section 30 is PL OK - thanks!
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

zaanta

Post by zaanta »

....and 32 - just a shortie at 09:14 :wink:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/jossareversion_32_marsh_128kb.mp3

Good night :birthday:
david
Newgatenovelist

Thank you! Chapters 31 and 32 are PL OK. Just a note before you record/edit chapter 33 - the volume has crept down slightly on these two. They're still within range, but if it's just something to be aware of if you've altered your setup recently, so that you don't have to amplify.

I've been enjoying your sections, and I must confess that I hadn't listened to your recordings before. I do hope that you'll be able to record more on other projects.
Erin
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

Ah.......OK, Erin, thanks for the heads-up on the volume. I guess I have been a little over-cautious since the time you said the volume was too high!!!

I'll try to keep an eye on it.

And thanks for your kind words.......yes, you won't know me because I have not done anything with Librivox for a couple of years.
I hope to have more time now to continue to help with all the good work ;)

Regards,
david
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

OK - here's 33 at 09:04

....and that's it!

If you all would like me to record the end piece by the author, I'd be happy to........I could try to sound a little "Noel Coward-y" if you want :hmm:

here's the link for 33: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/jossareversion_33_marsh_128kb.mp3

It's been fun :thumbs:

best,
david
Newgatenovelist

Thank you, David!

Chapter 33 is PL OK. Whether on this project or another one, I'm curious to hear your Noel Coward voice. :wink:
Erin
Khaghbboommm

Post by Khaghbboommm »

Hi

I'd like to volunteer for a chapter (maybe more) - it could be Ch 1 or anything you pick :)
Newgatenovelist

Hello Khaghbboommm,

Sorry that it's taken a couple of days to respond. First of all, thank you for offering!

Would you be interested in reading section 34, 'How Matters Stand To-Day'? This project has been set up a bit differently, so that each character's narrative is read by gender-specific readers. The two 'roles' for blokes have already been claimed, but chapter 34 is a gender-neutral chapter, and you'd get to finish the story. :wink:

Erin