[COMPLETE] The Fourth Dimension - Hinton - RuthieG

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

The Fourth Dimension by Charles Howard Hinton (1853 - 1907).

This project is now complete. All files can be found on the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/the-fourth-dimension-by-charles-howard-hinton/

"Mr Hinton tries to explain the theory of the fourth dimension so that the ordinary reasoning mind can get a grasp of what metaphysical mathematicians mean by it. If he is not altogether successful, it is not from want of clearness on his part, but because the whole theory comes as such an absolute shock to all one's preconceived ideas" - The Bristol Times (quoted within the book).

This book was published in 1912. The author is attempting to communicate a very complex interweaving of philosophy and mathematics, and it is often difficult to follow his train of thought. However, it is hard to refute his idea of a four dimensional universe passing through and, in a way, creating our three dimensional one.

For sections 1-9, the reader attempted to describe the illustrations in the text, but as the pictures were getting more complex, a separate PDF of illustrations was created, copied from the pages of the book. It can be found here: https://archive.org/details/HintonIllustrations
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/fourthdimension00hintarch
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): wordperfect

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of The Fourth Dimension. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • "Recording by Peter Yearsley"
    • Say:
      "The Fourth Dimension, by Charles Howard Hinton. [Chapter # and title, <Part #, if more than one part>]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of The Fourth Dimension by Charles Howard Hinton. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • "Recording by Peter Yearsley"
    • Say:
      Chapter # and title, <Part #, if more than one part> "
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section # "
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Fourth Dimension, by Charles Howard Hinton. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename fourthdimension_##_hinton_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. fourthdimension_01_hinton_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    No need for ID tags - these are produced automatically. Section titles appear as in the Magic Window.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: RuthieG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Peter Why on October 16th, 2017, 4:41 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I will MC for you, Peter, but will set it up in the morning.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Ruth.

I've already started recording the first section. I'm doing it in sections, as a few of the chapters are too long.

Peter
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

All set up. I have put myself in as word-perfect PL.

Ruth
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Ruth; I think this text does need that sort of accuracy, though the author says that he's aiming at a non-mathematical audience. He likes his long sentences, so I'm going to have to get the intonations and emphases right.

Do tell me if something could be made clearer in my reading.

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on November 1st, 2015, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I will do that, Peter.

I'll move this over to Going Solo now :).

Ruth
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Section 1 uploaded. Tell me if you think I should read a bit faster; it seemed okay when I read it, but sounded a bit slow when I was editing.

Peter
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I think the pace is perfect, Peter. This is stuff that needs time for the listener to assimilate.

The diagram descriptions are excellent.

There is only one tiny thing that differs, and it is so minor that I don't consider it necessary to change it. I mention it only as I promised word-perfect proof-listening. I am quite happy to mark it PL OK.

10:36 Text: If now I take account
Heard: If I now take account

Ruth
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Ruth. I'm happy with that error staying in, as the meaning is the same, but I'm glad you told me.

Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Section 2 uploaded ... and if you think section 2 is hard to understand, wait for section 3!
Peter
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Section 2 is PL OK. I agree that preceive must be a printer's error for perceive.

I am slightly intrigued by some tinkly noises I hear throughout (example 18:46 to 18:47). They can't be noise-cleaning artifacts, and I don't find them at all distracting, but would love to know what is causing them.

Ruth
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Ruth

I didn't even notice that mis-spelling. There's a probable one in the first chapter ("stocks and stones"), but I couldn't be absolutely sure.

I'll see if I can hear the tinkling if I listen through headphones; I'll probably re-record the section at some point.

Because my computer is quite noisy, I decided that it's about time I bought a new one. I've just ordered a silent one. I'll hold off doing any more recordings until I've got it up and working (Linux will be pre-installed, so I've got the pleasure of learning how to use a new operating system before I get Audacity working). So can we pause this solo for about ten days?

I'll be leaving a note in my other solo, too.

EDIT: I couldn't hear the tinkling, even with headphones ... very odd.

Peter
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Oo-er. I don't think it can be my ears, because I am not hearing it anywhere else, but stranger things have happened. Let me ask someone else if they can hear it.

ETA Yes, they can. "Sounds like someone sorting cutlery in the next room", she said. And, yes, it does sound like that ;).

Yes, pause by all means. There is no hurry :).

I wondered about stocks and stones too, but assumed it was intended. The expression does exist:
OED wrote:Applied contemptuously to an idol or a sacred image. Chiefly in the phrase stocks and stones = ‘gods of wood and stone’.
Ruth
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Ruth, I'm sorry about the delay. I've got my new machine, but I've not got it working yet. So I'm going on with this on my old machine.

I've recorded the next incomprehensible section, and will get it edited in the next few days. I'll go back to the tinkly bit of the earlier section and re-record it later this week.

Peter
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

No hurry, Peter. I am perennially behind on everything ;).

Ruth