COMPLETE The Idiot (Part 03 and 04) - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Chapter 4, Part 4
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/idiot0304_14_dostoyevsky_128kb.mp3

Ooooh, the French phrases bedeviled me. I used the Linguatec page to get pronunciations and spelled it all out for myself phonetically. I don't think I can get it any better than this but will try if I've inadvertantly cussed or something!

Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

If you get really stuck with French, there is a thread where you can ask for help. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40008
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Thanks, Ann--I so appreciate this!
And did I in fact upload the most recent chapter to the wrong MC???
:oops:
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

jmoorehouse wrote:Thanks, Ann--I so appreciate this!
And did I in fact upload the most recent chapter to the wrong MC???
:oops:
I don't know how many times I have done the same thing! I will retrieve it a little later today! Thanks for letting me know!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi Jan

I should have reported back sooner. I can assist you with any French pronunciation difficulties that crop up.

However, I think we have a special case here - I'm marking the chapter PL OK. Although French was widely (and sometimes affectedly) spoken by the educated classes in Eastern Europe at this time, their accents are likely to have been imperfect, to say the least. As for General Ivolgin, he is habitually too drunk to be coherent even in Russian. Your interpretation of his French posturing is therefore perfectly in tune and in character.

For some years I was an international assistance operator for British Telecom, working in English and French (the two recognized telecommunications languages). Some of the operators in countries which opted for the latter - Poland, Bulgaria, etc - growled out all sorts of strange sounds, just about recognizable as French.

All the best
Martin
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Martin--
Thanks! I had thought POSSIBLY this would be the case. General Ivolgin is SUCH a posturer--perhaps my version of his drunken Russian-accented "poser" French fits the tale.
I will be back if I need help with French again on this project. (I cannot believe how impossible it is for my 61 year old English-only mouth to shape itself into French sounds!)
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

I've listened to your latest chapter three times. It's one of my favourite parts of the book. :) I like Dostoyevsky's way of using startlingly absurd symbols, like the 'gift of a hedgehog'. We've got the famous shattered vase scene coming up, too.

PL all OK on this one.

Best
Martin
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Oh my goodness: THREE times! You amaze me!
Yes--the shattered vase is currently in the "editing room." Heading your way shortly!
I jumped ahead and read to the end of the book just for my own pleasure and understanding. Oh, sad sad sad!
Jan
P.S. As always, thank you for your timely response!
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Here's the moment of maximum peril for the vase, with the Prince in full charismatic flow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcCyPnDkCSQ - start at about 17 minutes in.

M :)
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Oh my!!! This is WONDERFUL! Thank you, Martin!
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/idiot0304_16_dostoyevsky_128kb.mp3

Here's Chapter 6 of Part 4.
On to the breaking of the china vase!

Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Section 16 - excellently read and PL OK throughout. I am about to take the terrier to the park, and will savour Section 17 while she looks around for something to bark at or chase.

Best
Martin
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Martin--
I've recorded all the way to the end and have begun editing on Ch. 8. I'm aiming to finish by mid-November or earlier. I wanted to reassure you that I have plenty of time to completely start over on Ch. 7 if by any chance it could be a lot better. I just don't want you to worry about giving that feedback! You had expected to listen last week one day in the park with the terrier, and perhaps you simply haven't had time to get back to your computer to message me about corrections. I'm not worried--just writing to reassure you I will not be troubled if we decide to rework this pivotal chapter!
Sincerely,
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse