[COMPLETE] The Ladies' Paradise by Emile Zola - phil

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

msfry wrote:Haven't formally heard from Elizabethy yet, but Phil will set her as DPL as soon as we do. I've set 1, 2, and 3 in the MW as Ready for PL by her.

I think we've finally worked out our process. Let me know if you agree:

1. You record a raw file marked 'raw', upload and post notice here or send to me via PM (either is fine).
2. I edit the raw file and mark it 'edited-mtf', upload and send you that along with my PL Notes here or via PM (either is fine by me).
3. You listen and correct to your personal taste, and upload again as an 'edited-kgj' file.
4. I spot PL that, then upload as the true file name and put in the MW for final PL by Elizabethy.

At least, that's what we've done so far. Eventually we might be able to eliminate one step, like this:
3. You listen and correct to your personal taste, and upload again as the true file name.
4. I put this in the MW for final PL by Elizabethy.

I don't mind one bit going the extra step, but I'll leave that up to you.
Hi, this sounds good:) I think the last one is better, if Elizabby is gonna PL anyways, I figure it's just an extra unneccessary step. If you post the PL notes here, she can see them as well and know what to look out for when she PL's
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Okay, sounds good. Looking forward to the next installment! :)
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Here we go, section 4 ready for final PL, at 27:42

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_04_zola_128kb.mp3
Kristin

msfry

Post by msfry »

4 is in the MW, awaiting Elizabethy. I am looking forward to a quiet day after 3 days of busy, busy, so I should get started on 5 today Knock on wood.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Chapter 3 Pronunciations (sections 5 and 6)

With a French mom to help, I've given myself the task of reading a chapter ahead and asking her for pronunciations of newly introduced names before you attempt to record them. Gracious, I had no idea Zola's cast of characters was so large, and so rapidly introduced, and so many well-known places in Paris cited, throughout the book. Hope this helps.

Vallagnosc val'-an-yosk
Madame Sauveur so'-ver
Madame Guibal ge'-bal
Place Gaillon guy'-on
Mademoiselle Cugnot quen-eo'
Verrières Woods ver-i-ere'
Madame Boutarel bou'-ta-rel
Mignot Min-yot' (soft 't')
Liénard le'-a-nar
Dix-Décembre deese-day-sambre
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

msfry wrote:Chapter 3 Pronunciations (sections 5 and 6)

With a French mom to help, I've given myself the task of reading a chapter ahead and asking her for pronunciations of newly introduced names before you attempt to record them. Gracious, I had no idea Zola's cast of characters was so large, and so rapidly introduced, and so many well-known places in Paris cited, throughout the book. Hope this helps.

Vallagnosc val'-an-yosk
Madame Sauveur so'-ver
Madame Guibal ge'-bal
Place Gaillon guy'-on
Mademoiselle Cugnot quen-eo'
Verrières Woods ver-i-ere'
Madame Boutarel bou'-ta-rel
Mignot Min-yot' (soft 't')
Liénard le'-a-nar
Dix-Décembre deese-day-sambre
Thanks! I've been doing the same, looking up pronounciations online, so I'm hoping it's right for section 5
Kristin

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hi everyone! I'm home from Greece and officially checking in as Final PL for this project! My French is only to Year 10 in high school (and that was... well, a long time ago! ;) ) so I'm going to leave the French pronunciation to you two. But I'm happy to give it a last once-over - sounds like an interesting book! :mrgreen:

(Phil, can I have MW access please?)

Michele, I can't help noticing that you mentioned you love to edit? Would you be at all interested in editing a book of short stories for me? I can't edit much since I had surgery on my right arm and I'm terribly uncoordinated with my left. I type, but I can't use a mouse very well. I'm not thinking of launching until next year, after one of my current DRs wraps up. I'm looking at doing a Sherlock Holmes short story collection - there are two left that I haven't done!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Elizabby wrote:Hi everyone! I'm home from Greece and officially checking in as Final PL for this project! My French is only to Year 10 in high school (and that was... well, a long time ago! ;) ) so I'm going to leave the French pronunciation to you two. But I'm happy to give it a last once-over - sounds like an interesting book! :mrgreen:

(Phil, can I have MW access please?)

Michele, I can't help noticing that you mentioned you love to edit? Would you be at all interested in editing a book of short stories for me? I can't edit much since I had surgery on my right arm and I'm terribly uncoordinated with my left. I type, but I can't use a mouse very well. I'm not thinking of launching until next year, after one of my current DRs wraps up. I'm looking at doing a Sherlock Holmes short story collection - there are two left that I haven't done!
Welcome, I do, and I'd be glad to help with your editing while you're down, especially if it's Sherlock (or some other author I enjoy). Ouch. I had a bit of carpel tunnel a few weeks back, left hand, and editing was painful even with a brace. I trudged along, and eventually I found some dog/horse liniment in my cabinet, rubbed it on, and overnight it was well :shock: !
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 6 Ladies Paradise, edited file. Over to you, Kristin!

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_06_zola_128kb_mtfedits.mp3 31:18

This is sounding so good, and so far so good on the +-30 minute chapter lengths! Just a few points:

1:03 No doubt he could have seen the financier in his office, pronounced fye-nan-seer',
3:20 And he let slip the fervent heartfelt exclamation. I hear exclam-an-ation. I tried to fix. Check it out.
6:07 "Oh! is it possible!", I hear it is possible.
11:34 measuring, I hear mess-er-ing, should be mez'-ur-ing
12:12 And, above the facts already given, right at the summit, appeared the exploitation of woman. I hear ex-plo-tation, needs an oi as in oil,
12:37 They had awakened new desires in her flesh. I hear desired,
13:17 Mouret thus allowed to appear the brutality of a few, I hear brutally
16:29 his face pale and wan from teaching. I hear van (a vehicle), should rhyme with van but start with 'w' as in was.

Baron Hartmann is first introduced in Chapter 3 (Sections 5 and 6). There are 10 instances. I didn't mark the spots, but you need to decide if it's Hartmann with an H as Mom said, or Artmann, (and Mom didn't roll her 'r's.). He is a lead character throughout the book so whatever it is, it should be consistent.
Also there is an anomaly as to "baron" throughout Chapter 3. You roll your 'r's when you say "Baron Hartmann", but when you just say baron, by itself, you don't.

Hope that cold is getting better!
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Hi, just checking in. My voice is back, but currently sound like crap. I'm hoping it might get a little better tonight, or if not, then tomorrow.
Kristin

msfry

Post by msfry »

Hi, Kristin. It's raining cats and dogs here these past few days. Sounds like thunder on my roof, so I haven't been able to record for that reason. A few files to edit has kept me busy, but now I guess it's time to get some housework done. Bummer! :(
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

msfry wrote:

Baron Hartmann is first introduced in Chapter 3 (Sections 5 and 6). There are 10 instances. I didn't mark the spots, but you need to decide if it's Hartmann with an H as Mom said, or Artmann, (and Mom didn't roll her 'r's.). He is a lead character throughout the book so whatever it is, it should be consistent.
Also there is an anomaly as to "baron" throughout Chapter 3. You roll your 'r's when you say "Baron Hartmann", but when you just say baron, by itself, you don't.

Hope that cold is getting better!

Yeah, I'm gonna go through section 5 again as well to check that it's consistent (It's not). I think Artmann falls more naturally for me, so I'm gonna go with that.
Ugh, yes, I'm having trouble seperating it when there is a name following. I'll go through and fix that too.

I'm recording section 7 today, but I won't have the time to edit section 5 & 6, and I'm going away for the weekend, so it's gonna have to wait until next week.
Kristin

msfry

Post by msfry »

Weekend fun. Nice!
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Okay, here we go, sections 5&6 fixed and uploaded. Hartmann should be good to go in both:)

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_05_zola_128kb.mp3 - 28:36
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_06_zola_128kb.mp3 - 31:20
Kristin

msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Kristin. I've put 5 and 6 in the MW for Elizabeth to PL. I'm about done editing 7 and will get on 8 shortly. No worries about sounding "under the weather" for 7 -- Mouret's slow, depressing morning waiting for the sale to kick in was a low-energy segment, so you sounded right on purpose! :D