BC Admin link

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

SUGGESTION: That the BC Admin link that appears beneath the MW in the First Post, be made to appear at the bottom of every page in a project, somewhere down there by POST REPLY. It would save thousands upon thousands of extra steps clicking back to Page 1 every time a BC or DPL has to open the MW to put a new entry in.

Presuming every page is created from the same template, this could be as simple as a few key strokes on the master template to fix. Discussion?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

No, each page is basically just the forum software. The BC Admin link is included in the first post in every project by adding a little bit of forum code. It wouldn't be possible for the forum software to include an individual link on particular forum pages.

My suggestion to you would be to keep your management dashboard pinned open on a separate tab. I don't know which browser you use, but in Firefox this is a simple matter. You have to click the radio button to show active projects only, and then you can sort the display by BC/reader/PL. I find it more convenient than paging back to the first post in every project.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

RuthieG wrote:No, each page is basically just the forum software. The BC Admin link is included in the first post in every project by adding a little bit of forum code. It wouldn't be possible for the forum software to include an individual link on particular forum pages.

My suggestion to you would be to keep your management dashboard pinned open on a separate tab. I don't know which browser you use, but in Firefox this is a simple matter. You have to click the radio button to show active projects only, and then you can sort the display by BC/reader/PL. I find it more convenient than paging back to the first post in every project.

Ruth
Hmmm. An interesting solution Ruth, thanks. I keep my management dashboard open but had not thought of using it this way. Will save me some clicks.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The Management Dashboard thing would require you to be signed in to the management stuff to view it. FYI. :)

I suppose another possibility is for the BC to post the MW link at when they notice their thread has gone to another page. The code is simple:

Code: Select all

[MW]#####[/MW]
where the #'s are the project number. This would put the whole Magic Window including the BC link into the post, so you don't have to navigate to the first page.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

How does the generic page template know to post the Page Title at the head of each page in every unique project? Just so, it seems the template could discern the unique link that sends us to the Management Dashboard for a particular project when we click BC Admin, and generate that at the bottom of each page.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

When the forum goes to a new page, it uses the subject of the first post on that page (when you reply, it's the space above the Bold, Italic, etc buttons). It has nothing to do with the information in the post itself.

EDIT: Or rather, it uses the subject from the first post and not the subject from the first post on the page. Regardless, it's not pulling it from the post body.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Alternately, you could just bookmark the BC admin link for each of your BC projects in your browser, and then open them in new tabs as needed.

Or if you use Firefox, try Internote to put a post-it with the link on the bottom of first page of the thread. It stays visible as you scroll through the thread at the bottom of each page, but only you can see it.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/internote/

I don't know if anything similar exists for internet explorer, but I think Edge may have a similar functionality. A note-taking app (OneNote or similar) is also a good place to store links since you can have it open and docked to the side of your desktop while you are working on other things.
Jo