COMPLETED: The Little Lame Prince by Miss Mulock - CL/kr

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Alys

Post by Alys »

All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/the-little-lame-prince-by-miss-mulock/

I would like to take on The Little Lame Prince by Miss Mulock. This is a short children's novel with magical elements.

Of course, being the sort of person that needs a lot of reassurance before putting the proverbial pen to paper, I have a couple of questions that, really, are less questions and more "This is what I want to do, is that okay?"

The author's name, Miss Mulock, is a pen name. My first response was to record under that name, rather than her real name - we use Mark Twain, for instance, and not Samuel Clemens. Is that alright?

The second thing I wasn't sure about, is that in the PG version http://www.gutenberg.org/files/496/496-h/496-h.htm
there are several short stories (some very short) included after the main one. I would like to record these as well (why not!) but I'm not sure if I should then change the title to "Little Lame Prince and Other Stories" to give readers a heads up, or just leave it as the regular title.

Thank you.
Izze

Post by Izze »

All of the stories tie into the main story, if I remember correctly.

Oh, I just love this book to death. I was so happy when I was finally trusted to be able to read my families version on my own. ^.^

I really look forward to the completion of this. ^.^
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hi Alys,

I don't know this work but it sounds wonderful!

When in doubt, just do as Gutenberg does -- use the authorname they use, use the title they use... it'll be fine.

I'll be your meta-coordinator. That means you can turn to me with any questions you have, and submit your files to me for cataloging when they're complete. :)

If you have room on your own computer to store the files until the book is compete, it will be great -- otherwise, you can send them to me and I'll store them for you.

Happy reading!

kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Alys

Post by Alys »

I did as you suggested, although I may go back and edit it to include the pseudonym later.

I recorded chapter 1. It came out rather soft, and Amplify wasn't helping, so I re-recorded it. It's still a bit softer than my normal output, but it's listenable now.

I also did chapter 2 and 3 as well, since they're pretty short. I was home sick from school (I teach) yesterday, so I figured that I might as well use my time for something worthwhile. I was shaking with fever, but I don't think the microphone picked it up. :) I'm home sick again today, but sadly I woke up with not just a fever, but a horrible cough that makes it difficult to talk (any attempt at breath control sends me into paroxyms of coughing) so, no recording for me today.... :cry:
kayray

Post by kayray »

Oh, I'm sorry you're not well. Last time I was sick it was the non-coughing kind so I got a lot of recording done -- but usually I cough for a month.

If you'd like to send me a sample file I can tell you if the volume is acceptable or if we need to try to get you louder. Too-soft files really are a problem, but I'm sure we can fix you up if that's the case.

Feel better! Keep your feet warm!

Kara
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Alys

Post by Alys »

I'm sending it now, it'll probably be there in a few minutes.

I wasn't sure what your email address was, but I knew children's lit is your "speciality" so I looked at Black Beauty, to see if you were the coordinator there, and you were, so I used that email address. I hope it's okay to use that one, since it's different from the one on your home page (my other research option. Cyber-stalkers are us!)

I think it's loud enough, just not as loud as my other chapters, but it's always better to be sure. I read a bit too fast, definitly faster than I did the first time around.
Alys

Post by Alys »

Actually, there will be a delay. I've tried twice, and yousendit keeps saying there is a server error. So later today, maybe. I'm going to go nap now. ...
kayray

Post by kayray »

That's cool Alys. Yeah kara at nyip dot net is a good one to use, but anything at kayray dot org goes into my inbox also.

bigupload.com is another option, but yousendit usually works if you wait long enough ;-) do post the yousendit url here too -- for some reason the email urls sometimes fail for me while the posted ones don't. (i think it must be a problem on my end... it just doesn't make sense otherwise...)

Have a nice nap :) And some chicken soup!

(can you tell I'm a mom? lol)
Kara
--------
Alys

Post by Alys »

Well, I tried again, and here is the link: http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0TR0YTG6209E61HWQS41LG63S3

No chicken soup, I'm a vegetarian, but tomato soup, that I can do. And the fever's down from 103 to 100, so I'm feeling much better!
Alys

Post by Alys »

Kayray, I know you are busy, but have you had a chance to give this a listen, to see if it is loud enough? I'm starting to move from "deathlike flu" into "good health", so I should be able to start recording again soon.

I think I am reading too fast (in this chapter particularly, since it was my second time around), what do you think?
kayray

Post by kayray »

Ooo sorry I think I missed your last post! I'll usually acknowledge a new download -- so if you don't see a post from me within a day or two, it means I missed something :) (my browser sometimes decide to mark all post as "read" and it's impossible to tell where I've been!)

Anyway, it's nice and loud. There's a bit of a background crackle. It's not unbearable, but if you can figure out how to get rid of it it would be even better :) It's clearly audible through headphones. If you're not using a USB mic is might just be sound card noise or something, and thus unavoidable. If you want help troubleshooting, post a sound clip in the "Need Help" section and you're sure to get some goood advice.

Thanks, Alys! It sounds like a wonderful story :)

Oh, no, I don't think you're reading too fast at all. Sounds like a perfect tempo.

Kara
Kara
--------
Alys

Post by Alys »

Just finished chapter 6 - yay for snow days!

The crackle is still there (I need a new mic, but can't leave the house - the snow isn't bad, but my car has stopped working) I did manage to fiddle with things enough that the crackle is almost inperceptible .... but it meant putting the mic closer to my mouth, so that there are more plosive noises. Sigh.
kayray

Post by kayray »

Yay :) Is there a link to chapter 6?

If you put the mic close to your mouth but off to the side, and a little above or below the level of your mouth, you might have less trouble with plosives.

Kara
Kara
--------
Alys

Post by Alys »

Is there a link to chapter 6?
Oh, I thought I was supposed to keep them all until I was finished. Do you want them now? I don't have a good version of chapter one (I want to redo it without the hissing, but I'm going to wait until I'm not sick of re-reading that same chapter over and over), but I do have the rest.

I hate headphones with a passion, and hadn't realized that the files sound different on my speakers than they do ona headphone, but I've checked the other files, and they seem to be free of the hissing. The latest recordings still hiss, but only if I crank the volume on my headphones up as high as they go. At more normal levels I can't hear the hiss. [/quote]
kayray

Post by kayray »

Oh, yes, sorry, hang on to them all until you're done :)

That's what I get for not paying attention heheh.

Yes, we have found that it's very important to ask all readers to listen to their recordings through headphones before submitting them... we think a lot of people will be listening to completed books on their portable mp3 players, so of course we need to make sure things sound good through headphones :)

Have fun!

Kara
Kara
--------