[COMPLETE] Practice and Science of Drawing by H. Speed - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ogbog

Post by ogbog »

The Practice and Science of Drawing by Harold Speed (-1957).

This project is now complete! All files can be found on the catalog page here:
https://librivox.org/the-practice-and-science-of-drawing-by-harold-speed/

Volunteers outside the USA: Harold Speed died in 1957. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is Author’s death plus 70 years and Australia (author’s death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954).

This is an abandoned solo, brought back to life as a group project! :D

The Practice and Science of Drawing is an artist's manual for drawing. ( Harold Speed)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14264
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Please ignore the captions to figures and diagrams!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Art, Design & Architecture
    Keywords that describe the book: instruction, art, painting, drawing

============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Practice and Science of Drawing. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Practice and Science of Drawing, by Harold Speed. [Chapter]"

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Practice and Science of Drawing, by Harold Speed. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
  9. Example filename practicescienceofdrawing_##_speed_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. practicescienceofdrawing_01_speed_128kb.mp3)
  10. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  11. Any questions?
    Please post below
ogbog

Post by ogbog »

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Do not upload files until you get an MC, please! The rest folder is for...tests.

Edit to add: since you haven't done a test, copy that URL to a new thread in the Listeners & Editors Wanted forum, and it'll serve as your test recording. Then wait to get an OK - there's no sense recording a bunch of files if there's something wrong in your tech settings requiring you to redo them. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ogbog

Post by ogbog »

TriciaG wrote:Do not upload files until you get an MC, please! The rest folder is for...tests.

Edit to add: since you haven't done a test, copy that URL to a new thread in the Listeners & Editors Wanted forum, and it'll serve as your test recording. Then wait to get an OK - there's no sense recording a bunch of files if there's something wrong in your tech settings requiring you to redo them. :)

You got it! Lemme know if there's anything else I can do to fix it up. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=57498
ogbog

Post by ogbog »

Also posted this to my 1 minute test thread; this one's hopefully addressed concerns enough to move forward. Here's a revised Preface, thanks for the feedback. I had to wait until we were past summer fan weather :P

http://uploads.librivox.org/triciag/practiceandscienceofdrawing_01_baechler.mp3
ogbog

Post by ogbog »

Sorry 'bout the delay, Chapter 2 is on its way.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ummm... you don't have an MC yet. Don't upload it yet. :)

I'll move this back to the Launch Pad, where it can get an MC (and you can get the name of the folder to upload to).
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I can MC this project for you.

I'll get a MW set up.

In the meantime, you can upload your files to my folder "maryannspiegel".

PLEASE NOTE: that I have changed your file name a bit. Please add the "_128kb" to your filenames before you upload them to my folder. I need to run to a meeting at work, so I'll finish the set up later today.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Harold,

I see this is your first time as a reader. I have created a reader page for you. For now, I've put in "ogbog" as your catalog name. Let me know if you would like that changed (to your real name or another name). Your catalog page is here: https://librivox.org/reader/10351

Your MW is now ready.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files. I've started you off with an idea on how I would handle the section titles for a book like this. There is no one "right" way, so if you would like to approach it differently, that's fine.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

Once you upload the two completed files to my folder, you will need to post the links to those files in the "listen URL" field of the MW, mark the status as "ready for PL" and put the duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is quite a learning curve when you do your first solo. You've picked a nice size book - not too long and something that you are interested in, so it should be a manageable and enjoyable process for you.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Well, it's been a week and the reader hasn't been back on the forums. I'll move this over to going solo until the reader checks back in.
MaryAnn
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I just noticed the first file of this in my folder: http://uploads.librivox.org/triciag/practiceandscienceofdrawing_01_baechler.mp3

It was posted in this thread on August 17th. We apparently missed it. :)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

This reader has not been on the forums for 3 months. I am moving the project to "on hold". If the reader does not return and start working on this project again by the six month mark, it will be abandoned and opened up for another reader to complete, either as a solo or as a group project.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

No change in reader status.
Abandonded on June 15, 2016. Files moved to abandoned/practicesciencedraw. Project added to "Abandoned Projects with some chapters recorded" thread.

MaryAnn
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I am resurrecting this. I am completely un-artsy, but it would be nice to have this book in the catalog. I might just learn something :wink:

DPL is welcome.
I will move the completed file to my own folder tomorrow.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com