[COMPLETE]The Joss: a Reversion by Richard Marsh-icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

The Joss: a Reversion by Richard Marsh (1857 - 1915).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-joss-a-reversion-by-richard-marsh/

Mary Blyth, a sales clerk who is robbed, nearly murdered and then fired from her job, thinks her luck has changed when she inherits an old house from a distant relation, Benjamin Batters. This house holds dark secrets. Murderous thugs, a mysterious threat from the Far East let her know this is not the case. The Joss, a Reversion is from Richard Marsh, author of “The Beetle”. ( Alan Winterrowd)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/jossareversion00marsgoog
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! Due to this novel being written as four narratives, the BC asks that Sections 1-8 be claimed by the same reader, preferably female; sections 9-16 by a single reader, preferably female; sections 17-24 by a single reader, preferably male, and sections 25-33 by a single male reader. Section 34 is an author's afterward and can be claimed separately, and is gender neutral. If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: 1Icsa34l
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Richard Marsh) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Marsh_(author)
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 34
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1901
      • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Horror & Supernatural Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The Joss: a Reversion. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Joss: a Reversion, by Richard Marsh. [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Joss: a Reversion, by Richard Marsh. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      jossareversion_##_marsh_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number. (e.g. jossareversion_01_marsh_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Richard Marsh
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: The Joss: a Reversion

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by Boomcoach on October 25th, 2015, 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

I have mentioned this in the section on claiming sections, but I want to express it again, in a place easier to see.

The structure of this novel is in 4 first person narratives, two female and two male. I would like for each of these narratives to be read by a single reader, of the appropriate gender. We did this for The Beetle and it was very effective. I will be claiming sections 17-24.

When reading the first chapter for each reader, please include the Book number, book name and description of the narrative, which is on the page. i.e. for chapter one, please read:
BOOK I.

UNCLE BENJAMIN.

(MARY BLYTH TELLS THE STORY.)

CHAPTER I.

FIRANDOLO'S.
I do not have exact word counts, but sections are all, with one exception, 9-11 pages long, with an rough average of 350 words/page.
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
My current Solo project A Spoiler of Men by Richard Marsh
One role needed to complete the Dramatic Reading of The Leader by Murray Leinster, help us finish this project!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi Alan, I'll MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, the MW is up and ready for you. We will wait here to see if a DPL will pop up.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

icequeen wrote:OK, the MW is up and ready for you. We will wait here to see if a DPL will pop up.
DPL duly popping.

It's been a little while since I read Marsh, and this book is new to me. I'm looking forward to it!
-Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

I have downloaded the pdf and added chapter book marks if this will make it easier for readers, or the dpl.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q587gjxmj062ofy/The%20Joss%2C%20A%20Reversion.pdf?dl=0

I have begun adding chapter titles. With the 00, 01, etc be added automatically to the chapter titles at cataloging, or should I include Chapter 1, Chapter 2 when I add the titles?

There are some single and double quotes in the chapter titles. I remember at one point that these had to be handled differently in section titles, but that was before the system upgrade. Let me know if I need to do something to them for correct cataloging.
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
One role needed to complete the Dramatic Reading of The Leader by Murray Leinster, help us finish this project!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Having just the title of the chapter is fine for each section, I think it looks cleaner in some projects. Especially since the chapters are titled, so I think your MW looks great! As far as the single vs double quotation marks, that is an archive issue, not LV. I don't know if they have solved that problem with their upgrade, but it is better to change doubles to singles. If they are in the section titles, I normally will change them when I catalog.

And, since we have everyone on board, I think we can go ahead and move over to Readers Wanted!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

Sounds good.

Just to keep it easy for perspective readers, we need 4 more readers:

Sections 1-8 need a female reader for Mary Bluth, a sales clerk in a store
Sections 9-16 need a female reader for Emily Purvis, a friend of Mary's
Sections 25-33 need a male reader for Captain Max Lander, of the "Flying Scud"
The final chapter is a standalone chapter and can be read by anyone who volunteers!
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

Hi Ann, Boomcoach,

Looks like you might need some help?

I'd be happy to take sections 25 - 33 if you like?

Cheers,
David
When the power of Love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. Jimi Hendrix
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

zaanta wrote:Hi Ann, Boomcoach,

Looks like you might need some help?

I'd be happy to take sections 25 - 33 if you like?

Cheers,
David
Glad to have you! Captain Max is all yours!

Looking forward to it.

Ann, I am changing the header from [GROUP] to [HORROR], I hope that is OK. Since we are in the Readers Wanted Books section, I didn't think that GROUP was informative.
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

That's fine with me. With Halloween coming up, I think people will be more inclined to get involved in a horror story!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

Hi,

OK - here's the link for section 25.
I think I'll wait to hear that everything is ok before I continue with the other sections.
It's been a while since I last did this so want to be sure I got it all right :roll:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/jossreversion_25_marsh_128kb.mp3

best,
david
When the power of Love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. Jimi Hendrix
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

Hallo again........I have just read the next section and realised that Luke is in fact a Cockney!!!!
The reference by Max to his "Whitechapel slang"!!!!!

So, I'll go back & edit him in again with the appropriate accent.
Please wait on section 25 - I'll re-upload it soonest :wink:

Thanks,
david
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

zaanta wrote:Hallo again........I have just read the next section and realised that Luke is in fact a Cockney!!!!
The reference by Max to his "Whitechapel slang"!!!!!

So, I'll go back & edit him in again with the appropriate accent.
Please wait on section 25 - I'll re-upload it soonest :wink:

Thanks,
david
Great catch! I missed that completely.
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

OK, here's the link again with a "Whitechapel" Luke !

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/jossreversion_25_marsh_128kb.mp3