COMPLETE [Poetry] Verses by Susan Coolidge-maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Verses by Susan Coolidge (1835 - 1905).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/verses-by-susan-coolidge/
Susan Coolidge was the pen name of Sarah Chauncey Woolsey, who is best known for her <i>What Katy Did</i> series. This is the first of three volumes of her verse. (Summary by Rachel)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1 month of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after one month, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the one month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4560
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: ip7MNzdL
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Susan Coolidge) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Coolidge
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 67
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    • Original publication date (if known): 1880
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Poetry

Keywords that describe the book: verse, poems, religious, Susan Coolidge

============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    • At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
    "Section [#] of Verses by Susan Coolidge, read for LibriVox.org by [your name]. [Poem title]
    • Then read the poem.
    • At the end, say: "End of Section [#]. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.
  8. At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Verses by Susan Coolidge.
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  9. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    verses_##_coolidge_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. verses_01_coolidge_128kb.mp3)
  10. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  11. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by SweetPea on February 9th, 2016, 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Great Find!

May I be DPL for these verses?

And, okay, I know the MW isn't set up, but if I could put in some early requests:

"OF SUCH AS I HAVE."
EBB-TIDE.
COMMUNION.
AT THE GATE
CHRISTMAS.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Thanks Larry! :D I would love to have you DPL and sure, you can read those poems.

(I like finding out that authors I like wrote poems. I'm reading her book What Katy Did Next right now :) )
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Rachel,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. Back in a bit with the MW.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, your MW is up.

I agree with using the short poetry disclaimer, but I think it would be best if the first section of the book started off with the full LV disclaimer. No need to add that the MW if you are Larry are willing to read that poem . . . I'm sure either one of you could say it in your sleep.

MaryAnn
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Haha... yes, we probably could. I'll just read that first poem. :D

Thank you for MC'ing MaryAnn!
Rachel

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Moving to readers wanted!
MaryAnn
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Five verses are uploaded and put in the MW! :D
Rachel

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

SweetPea wrote:Five verses are uploaded and put in the MW! :D
These are all PL OK, Rachel.

I will say, however, that I think they would be improved by running Noise Reduction. (I routinely do this on my recordings.) Although this is certainly within acceptable parameters, I think they recordings would sound even better. But, this is just an observation and you can do with it what you will.

You are truly an amazing LibiVoxer! :clap:

So glad you're doing this volume of verses. (Mine are recorded and will be on their way to you shortly.)
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Thanks Larry! I always do quite a bit of noise removal, but I prefer to leave a little in than to do too much cleaning because then it sounds worse :wink: I can try doing a bit more tomorrow, we'll see how it sounds :)

Thanks for your poems - hopefully I can listen to them tomorrow! :D

Rachel
Rachel

crgattis

Post by crgattis »

This is my first recording. I have been given the OK in Listeners Wanted. I would like to do passage 8, On The Shore. If this goes well, I would like to do more.

Please credit me as Crystal Gattis.

Let me know if I have missed anything. :D
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

You may certainly have that poem, and if you want any more, just ask :D
Thanks!

Edit: you're already in the catalogue under your forum name - we'll need an admin to change it. Since this is your first recording, it should be fine :)

(MaryAnn, would you mind fixing Crystal's reader page? Thanks! :))
Rachel

crgattis

Post by crgattis »

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/verses_08_coolidge_128kb.mp3

Well, here is my first recording. I hope it is ok. I couldn't figure out how to download and install the volume checker program, so let me know if there is a decibel issue.

I won't be offended if you would like to give me pointers and have me redo the recording. :)

I may try another tonight...

Crystal
crgattis

Post by crgattis »

If it is ok, I plan to try Hope and I (32) and How The Leaves Came Down (57).

Crystal