[COMPLETE] Calculus Made Easy by S. P. Thompson - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Thank you! I have popped your file into the MW and our proof listener will get back to you shortly :)
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 19:

Well read!

9:23 - text: "that this much-belauded process of equating to zero" I hear "much-belated"

13:53 - text: "x^2-x" (read "x to the power of 2, minus x"). I hear "x to the power of 2, minus x squared"

10 seconds of silence at the end. Since the section is less than 30 minutes, it only needs 5 seconds. :)

Some of your words are hard to understand because the volume drops off. How far are you from your mic?
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
aaronbro

Post by aaronbro »

Hi Tricia,

Thank you for your feedback.

I have moved closer to the microphone for more consistent volume and have re-recorded the first half of the chapter.

The recording lasts 15 minutes and 42 seconds.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/calculusmadeeasy_19_thompson_128kb.mp3
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

aaronbro wrote:Hi Tricia,

Thank you for your feedback.

I have moved closer to the microphone for more consistent volume and have re-recorded the first half of the chapter.

The recording lasts 15 minutes and 42 seconds.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/calculusmadeeasy_19_thompson_128kb.mp3
Up to what point did you re-record? Since this is a word-perfect project, I need to listen to the part you redid.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 57 PL OK. :)
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Thanks! :)
Rachel

realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Hello,

I would like to read Chapter 10 - Geometrical Meaning of Differentiation, but I have a question I may have missed on the forum here.

How are Graphs described? Do you really just skip it? Or say, "The X-axis is demarcated with a brace labled X and a subsequent, smaller brace labeled "the derivative of X". The Y axis is delineated with two sections labled Y-P and and P-Q descending..."
That would be very painful.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Chapter 10 is all yours - thanks! :D
As for those pesky graphs, this document has some really helpful suggestions for reading them (in the last section). For Librivox projects, we do need to read the text as written, and I think that applies to graphs, but I'm going to check with someone and get back to you tonight. I know that section is a longer one, and all the graphs and equations and things will make it longer, but you do not have to record in one sitting - you can always record until you don't feel like it and come back and do the rest later! :)

Thanks so much!
Rachel

realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

SweetPea wrote:Chapter 10 is all yours - thanks! :D
As for those pesky graphs, this document has some really helpful suggestions for reading them (in the last section). For Librivox projects, we do need to read the text as written, and I think that applies to graphs, but I'm going to check with someone and get back to you tonight. I know that section is a longer one, and all the graphs and equations and things will make it longer, but you do not have to record in one sitting - you can always record until you don't feel like it and come back and do the rest later! :)

Thanks so much!

I wrote some preliminary descriptions of the graphs based upon the Dr. Chang text. Please let me know what your opinions are.
Last edited by realisticspeakers on September 11th, 2015, 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Sorry - been terribly busy today :)

I had a message from Ava:
We always leave out figures unless they are absolutely necessary (meaning: part of the text, "inline" as it's called I think). There is not really a standard way to describe graphs (unless you can just give the equation :wink:), they are marked with "Figure x" in our text, and I guess that most people would read along with the book anyway to find them.

Makes things much easier this way. :wink:
So you don't need to worry about that. As I said, I wasn't sure :)

Thank you so much! :D
Rachel

katetastrophe

Post by katetastrophe »

hello,
can i have sections 3 and 4, please?
thanks!
kate
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Certainly, thanks! :D
Rachel

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I PL'd section 19 all over again, since the reader didn't tell me at which point he stopped re-recording.

0:00 - "Chapter 11 part 1" should be "section 19" (Edited to add this in - I missed it before. My mistake.) :)

5:38 - text: "2x = 4, x = 2. Now, we know..."
"x = 2" is missing.

8:59 - text: "it always is = 0;" I hear "it always is 0" (missing "equal to") - Rachel, do you consider this important to change?

10:58 - text: "and see whether with this altered value" I hear "and see whether this altered value" (missing "with")

11:22 - text: "I suppose you could worry it out" I hear "I suppose you could worry about it"

11:51 - text: "30 times 30 is 900" I hear "30 times 30 is 90"

13:44 - text: "to a case that we can test." I hear "a test case that we can test"
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Thanks Tricia!
TriciaG wrote:8:59 - text: "it always is = 0;" I hear "it always is 0" (missing "equal to") - Rachel, do you consider this important to change?
I might let it go if it was the only thing, but seeing as there are other things to record I think we might as well get it fixed :)
Rachel