2peltons

Post by 2peltons »

May I read section 02?

Mike
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Yes, thank you! :)
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

TriciaG wrote:Section 0:

0:22 - after author name, say, "Preface to the Second Edition, Prologue". (SweetPea - your intro instructions have "Section [number], [section title]" for the intro. I assume just the section title is OK for section 0? Correct me if I'm wrong.)

0:31 - an electronic thump/bump/click sound to edit out

Section 1:

0:22 - after author name, say, "Section 1" then you already have the "Chapter 1..." part.
Thanks for the quick PL Tricia! :) I think the section number should be left out before the chapter title, actually ... sorry if the instructions weren't clear in the first post. I will go and see if I can clear them up a bit more ;). Sorry about that! It seems like any problems with the intro never show up until some sections are submitted. :lol:

So Dad, would you mind doing both the corrections for section 0, but just leave section 1? Thanks a lot :)
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
2peltons

Post by 2peltons »

I realize that this project is word perfect but I have run into a problem. In section 02 it reads - Now if, for such a purpose we, regard 1/1000,000 (or one millionth) as a small quantity, then 1/1000,000 of 1/1000,000 that is 1/000,000,000,000 (or one billionth) will be a small quantity of the second order of smallness, ----- My problem is one over 12 zero's is one trillionth. Well I couldn't believe this brilliant man could or would make a simple mistake like this, so I looked it up and found that back then in England a trillion was called a billion. The problem I have is that today's listener would find this confusing. So :help: what should I do?

Mike
aaronbro

Post by aaronbro »

Hi Rachel,

I would like to claim chapter 11 for now. This will be my first recording. 8-)
2peltons

Post by 2peltons »

Perhaps I should have waited for an answer but since I finished the chapter and it probably will need to have corrections made, here it is. Section 02 is 11:06 in length.
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/calculusmadeeasy_02_thompson_128kb.mp3

Mike
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

2peltons wrote:I realize that this project is word perfect but I have run into a problem. In section 02 it reads - Now if, for such a purpose we, regard 1/1000,000 (or one millionth) as a small quantity, then 1/1000,000 of 1/1000,000 that is 1/000,000,000,000 (or one billionth) will be a small quantity of the second order of smallness, ----- My problem is one over 12 zero's is one trillionth. Well I couldn't believe this brilliant man could or would make a simple mistake like this, so I looked it up and found that back then in England a trillion was called a billion. The problem I have is that today's listener would find this confusing. So :help: what should I do?

Mike
2peltons wrote:Perhaps I should have waited for an answer but since I finished the chapter and it probably will need to have corrections made, here it is. Section 02 is 11:06 in length.
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/calculusmadeeasy_02_thompson_128kb.mp3

Mike
Oooh, yes, that is tricky! ;) Well, Librivox policy is to read the text as written, so I think you need to say "one billionth" even though nowadays it would be called "one trillionth". We can add a note in the summary saying something like "In England at the time this was published, a trillion was called a billion" or something of the sort.
Thanks for your section! :D
Rachel

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

aaronbro wrote:Hi Rachel,

I would like to claim chapter 11 for now. This will be my first recording. 8-)
Hi Aaron,
Welcome! I will sign you up for that section. You've picked a tricky project for your first recording, but if you think you can do it, please go ahead :D One thing - since this is your first recording, you aren't in the catalogue yet. What name would you like me to put? Some use their username, or their real name, or something else. I personally use my first name. We can also link to a personal website / blog :)

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions! Thanks so much!
Rachel

aaronbro

Post by aaronbro »

I would like you to put Aaron Brown in the catalog for me.

Will I have the ability to update this user profile in the future?
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Here you go! https://librivox.org/reader/10292

You can update it later, to add a website or something, and you can change your reader name but that is how listeners will search for you so it's best not to go around switching it all the time ;)

Thanks! :D
Rachel

aaronbro

Post by aaronbro »

Hi Rachel,

I accidentally said that I would like to claim Chapter 11, referring to the actual chapter in the book, Maxima and Minima. This Chapter corresponds to sections 19 and 20. May you please assign these sections to me, and remove the currently assigned section?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 2 - PL OK!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

aaronbro wrote:Hi Rachel,

I accidentally said that I would like to claim Chapter 11, referring to the actual chapter in the book, Maxima and Minima. This Chapter corresponds to sections 19 and 20. May you please assign these sections to me, and remove the currently assigned section?
No problem, I've fixed it. Sorry about that! :)
Rachel

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

TriciaG wrote:Section 2 - PL OK!
Thanks Tricia! :D
Rachel

aaronbro

Post by aaronbro »

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for setting up my profile.

I have recorded Section 19. The duration is 15 minutes and 38.43 seconds.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/calculusmadeeasy_19_thompson_128kb.mp3