[COMPLETE] Demos by George Gissing - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
rnazari

Post by rnazari »

Thanks. Here is Chapter 13 (42:07):

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/demos_13_gissing_128kb.mp3

I tried some noise reduction on it, but think I might have to play around with it more in future.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Wow, that's capital. So fast. Thank you. Hope you are still having fun. Want 15 and 16 to continue the spree (smile)?
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

PL OK for chapter 13! :D
rnazari

Post by rnazari »

Here is Chapter 14 (32:08):

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/demos_14_gissing_128kb.mp3

and yes, I'd be happy to continue with chapters 15 and 16.
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

Hello, stav, remember me? *waves*
This looks fun! I'll take chapters 19-22 if I may.

rd
machei

Post by machei »

Hello,

I'd be happy to take on some of this as a first project, although it seems I would be the only male reader. If this is an issue, I'll look elsewhere.

Otherwise, I'll claim chapter 17 and 18 if no one else wants them.

Cheers,
m.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thank you all. THis is so lovely.
Roxanne, thanks for 14. 15 and 16 are all yours.
Russiandoll, 19-22 are all yours. Enjoy and good luck. This is a great book in deed.
machei, welcome to librivox. I hope hope you will enjoy here. Of course 17 and 18 are all yours. It is lovely to have a verioty of readers, so don't worry about this. We do not take gender related things into acount while choosing what to read in librivox. I see that you completed successfuly a one-minute sampal recording. But I have one more request: could you please let uss know under which name you would like to appear in the catalogue? It can be your real name, your forum name, or something else that you choose. And do you have a personal url which you would like us to link to your name? And if you have questions, just ask.
Have fun everyone and good luck. If any of you need/want anything, I am here. Have a great day,
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
machei

Post by machei »

Thanks for the welcome. I'll do my best, given it's a first effort. I imagine I'll be shaking the bugs out for a little while. :)

Which name would I like to appear under? I'm not sure. I suppose either machei, as my forum name, or simply Martin will do. Whatever is more common. I intend to state in the recordings that they are read by "Martin". I figure that's good enough. As far as a personal URL, does Twitter count? If so, I suppose that might be the best way. That is https://twitter.com/machei .

I do have a question: When I do a reading, are you looking for absolute perfection in the text? What I mean to say is, if I should inadvertently omit a word which doesn't change the meaning of the text, would that be an instant do-over, or is there some small amount of leeway?

Thanks, great to be on board, and look forward to finishing my first read.

m.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Martin,
the librivox policy is that we must stick to the original almost at all cost. Exception is made regarding footnotes which we are aloud to skip, but no more. So please read the text as is. Have fun,
Stav.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

machei wrote:I do have a question: When I do a reading, are you looking for absolute perfection in the text? What I mean to say is, if I should inadvertently omit a word which doesn't change the meaning of the text, would that be an instant do-over, or is there some small amount of leeway?
Just to add that this also depends on the Proof-Listening level of a given project. Usually it is PL standard, which means, that even if there are small imperfections, they probably won't be noted. Some projects have PL level Word-Perfect, usually scietific works, where the PLer is required to follow along with the text and note any differences. So, yes, we consciously stick to the original text, but it may happen that unconsciously we read a different word or skip a word..! If it doesn't change the meaning, in a PL standard project, it's still OK.

Here is more information on proof-listening: viewtopic.php?p=318667#p318667

And this is your Reader page in the catalog: https://librivox.org/reader/10290
It shows all projects you've been involved in, so it may look empty now, but if you enjoy recording, it will fill up before you know it! Notice also the link "Reader section details". That one shows your claimed sections and their status (assigned, ready for PL, PL OK, etc). So it's a nifty tool to keep track of your claims!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

rnazari wrote:Here is Chapter 14 (32:08):

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/demos_14_gissing_128kb.mp3

and yes, I'd be happy to continue with chapters 15 and 16.
PL OK for chapter 14 :thumbs:
Another way to deal with background noise is perhaps decreasing the input volume, so that the microphone doesn't pick as much backgound hiss. Or if it's a usb microphone, you can try another usb port, in case there's a problem with the connection there.
machei

Post by machei »

Rapunzelina wrote:
machei wrote:I do have a question: When I do a reading, are you looking for absolute perfection in the text? What I mean to say is, if I should inadvertently omit a word which doesn't change the meaning of the text, would that be an instant do-over, or is there some small amount of leeway?
So, yes, we consciously stick to the original text, but it may happen that unconsciously we read a different word or skip a word..! If it doesn't change the meaning, in a PL standard project, it's still OK.
This is more what I was talking about. I found that on some dry runs, I'd be reading along, and then when I listened to the output, there'd be a word here and there that was skipped, but the meaning left unchanged. I suppose I will simply do my very best, and see what the PL thinks. :)

Thanks very much for the response.

m.
rnazari

Post by rnazari »

miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thank you so much.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

PL OK for chapter 15!
The issue with the background noise is much better now! However the sound is still a bit muffled, so I went back to older projects to compare the sound quality. I found the older recordings to be much cleaner, so if you remember what, if anything, was differently set up, maybe you can replicate that setup.
Of course, needless to say, that your reading itself is wonderful! I enjoy following the story, listening to your reading! I suppose that's why I'm anxious to also improve the technical quality if possible :)