COMPLETE: STOPS or How to Punctuate, by P Allardyce - law

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Shurtagal

Post by Shurtagal »

Complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/stops-or-how-to-punctuate-by-paul-allardyce/

'STOPS' or How to Punctuate by PAUL ALLARDYCE .

[list=1][*]How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
[*]New to recording?
Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
[*]Is there a deadline?
Target completion date of this project: 6/17/07 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. I'm trying to wrap everything up before school gets out as I might not be in town much over the summer.
[*]Where do I find the text?
Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/20938
[*]Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!Two (2) readers are needed except for the last two section, the first has only three (3) examples. All section are PL OK before enter the MB by the Editor (Shurtagal).

link

[*]BEFORE recording:
Please check the Recording Notes:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
[*]DURING recording:
Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
Start of recording (Intro)
  • "[Section] of 'STOPS' or, How to Punctuate. A Practical Handbook for Writers and Students. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • Then say:
    "Recording by [your name]" if you're doing the body, say "And [your name]" if you are doing the examples.
  • Say:
    "'STOPS' or How to Punctuate, by PAUL ALLARDYCE. [Section]"

As you read there will be roman numerals, standard numbers, and (for some people) lower case letters, for the roman numerals please preface them with “Rule”, for standard numbers please preface them with “part” for lower case letters please preface them with “sub-part”. Also for indented text please preface it with “example ##” where ## is whether it is the first, second, third, fourth, &c example for that rule.

End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    End of [Section]"
    If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of 'STOPS' or How to Punctuate, by PAUL ALLARDYCE."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
[*]AFTER recording:
Save files as
Wave files are much prefered but other uncompressed formats such as: .aup are also exceptable.
stops_##_allardyce_body.wav or stops_##_allardyce_examples.wav(all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (stops_01_allardyce_body.wav)
ID3 V2 tags
(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
these are not relevent as were are collecting files in an uncompressed format, ID3 tags will be added later.
Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
  • If you have your own server space, post the link here. Please leave the file in this location until the project is cataloged.
  • If you don't have your own server space, you'll need to transfer the file to one of the free servers available. For a list of options, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
  • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
  • the file size of your .mp3 file.
[/list]
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.[/size]
Last edited by Shurtagal on September 10th, 2007, 5:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Have you always wanted to act? Well Now you Can!! My Projects
Shurtagal

Post by Shurtagal »

Dibs on "The Semicolon" and "The Point of Interrogation"
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

This seems to lend itself to having two readers per section: one for the body of the text, and one for the examples.

What do you think?

Also, it would be an idea to have a standard approach to reading the examples. For example, should we read all the punctuation in the examples?

David
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Oh, and there's no comma after 'or' in the title! :D
Shurtagal

Post by Shurtagal »

earthcalling wrote:This seems to lend itself to having two readers per section: one for the body of the text, and one for the examples.

What do you think?

Also, it would be an idea to have a standard approach to reading the examples. For example, should we read all the punctuation in the examples?

David
Thats a good Idea. I'll do body for "the point of Interrogation" and examples For "the Semicolon." That will create a total of 32 possible readers. How - if at all - should that be noted in the 'magic box' editing area?
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

I've added the 'magic window'. We can enter multiple readers for each section, and I've used the notes column to indicate who is reading what. Is that OK?

Will you edit the the files together, body and examples?

It would be better to have wav files submitted, rather than mp3 - but not essential. The loss of quality when re-compressing to mp3 isn't great, but i f we can get wav files it's better.

The person reading the body should do the usual disclaimer, and 'read by Fred Bloggs' (preferably finishing with an upward tone), and the person reading the examples should read 'and Charles Farnes-Barnes'. That way, they'll edit together nicely.

In your first post, you need a very prominent notice that we need two readers per section, and that people claiming a section need to specify whether they're reading the body or the example. Oh, tell you what, I'll add 'Body' and 'Example' to the notes field of all sections, to help get the point across. - UPDATE - Done.

Can you check whether all sections have examples? Particularly the Introduction and the final two sections, which look as though they may be different in nature to the others.

For the ID3 tags - As we're asking for wav files, ID3 tags are not relevant. You'll have to add those when editing. Can you changer the quotation marks around "Stops" to single ones (apostropes), as the validator flips its lid when it sees double quotation marks. I think single quotes are OK: 'Stops' or How to Punctuate.

For the filenames, you can shorten the first part to just 'stops' - no need for the subtitle.

Phew, I think that covers it.

David
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

One more.

When reading the disclaimer/intro, let's include the full sub-title:-

"Stops" Or How to Punctuate. A Practical Handbook for Writers and Students

And specify we need the chapter name as well as the section number.

David
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Another one more.

The filenames as submitted by the readers need to show whether it's the body or the examples:-

stops_11_allardyce_body.wav
or
stops_11_allardyce_examples.wav

Your final edited file will be: stops_11_allardyce.mp3

David
kayray

Post by kayray »

I'd like to team up with Shurtagal on section 06, but I'm not exactly clear on which bits I'm to read.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

I've not looked at the html version, but in the plain text version the examples are clearly offset in blocks.
Shurtagal

Post by Shurtagal »

earthcalling wrote:I've added the 'magic window'. We can enter multiple readers for each section, and I've used the notes column to indicate who is reading what. Is that OK?
Phew, I think that covers it.

David
Alright I'll try to get those changes made ASAP. All changes seem correct and necessary.
Kayray - What David says is true in the html version to.
VIII. When the subject consists of several parts, e.g., of several nouns, a comma is placed after the last part.

A few daring jests, a brawl, and a fatal stab, make up the life of Marlowe.

Time, money, and friends, were needed to carry on the work.

This rule will appear reasonable if we consider an apparent exception to it. When the last noun sums up all the others, or marks the highest point of a climax, no comma is placed after it.

The bit which would be indented put is in bold here, is what you would read, for the Examples. I would the parts in italics, for the body.

P.S. David - Thanks for MCing almost all of my projects.
ZachBG

Post by ZachBG »

I love style guides. Could I have the body for The Full Stop, please?
ZachBG's Orphanage: rescuing orphaned chapters since 2006! PM me if you have an urchin on your doorstep.

http://www.zachbg.com. My greatest hit.
Shurtagal

Post by Shurtagal »

certainly Zach.
David tell me if I messed anything up in the modifications that were needed.
kayray

Post by kayray »

Another question:
A few daring jests, a brawl, and a fatal stab, make up the life of Marlowe.
Would one say:
A few daring jests comma a brawl comma and a fatal stab comma make up the life of Marlowe.

to make the punctuation clear, or just read it it a firmly emphasized way?
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Oh yay! I love these.

Can I claim the body for "Apostrophes" and the examples for "Italics"?