[COMPLETE] Calculus Made Easy by S. P. Thompson - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus P. Thompson (1851 - 1916).

This project is now complete. All files can be found on the catalog page:
http://librivox.org/calculus-made-easy-by-silvanus-p-thompson/

Calculus Made Easy: Being a Very-Simplest Introduction to Those Beautiful Methods of Reckoning which Are Generally Called by the Terrifying Names of the Differential Calculus and the Integral Calculus is is a book on infinitesimal calculus originally published in 1910 by Silvanus P. Thompson, considered a classic and elegant introduction to the subject. (from Wikipedia)

Some calculus-tricks are quite easy. Some are enormously difficult. The fools who write the textbooks of advanced mathematics—and they are mostly clever fools—seldom take the trouble to show you how easy the easy calculations are. On the contrary, they seem to desire to impress you with their tremendous cleverness by going about it in the most difficult way.
Being myself a remarkably stupid fellow, I have had to unteach myself the difficulties, and now beg to present to my fellow fools the parts that are not hard. Master these thoroughly, and the rest will follow. What one fool can do, another can.
(from the Prologue)
Reading notes:
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
      Please claim by section number rather than chapter number, because many chapters are split.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33283
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: wordperfect

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Calculus Made Easy. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Calculus Made Easy, by Silvanus P. Thompson. [Section title]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number]."
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Calculus Made Easy, by Silvanus P. Thompson."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      calculusmadeeasy_##_thompson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. calculusmadeeasy_01_thompson_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle - availle
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below
Last edited by SweetPea on August 27th, 2015, 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
Adamski

Post by Adamski »

Oooh! Please sign me up for the preface/prologue and first chapter!
The surest way to eliminate a right is to declare it an obligation

My current projects

Doctor Dolittle
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Of course, thanks Dad! :D You might end up having to read the whole book if nobody else signs up, you know :wink:
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Rachel,

Quite an ambitious undertaking! Are you going to be studying calculus this fall?

Couple of suggestions . . .

Is there a resource you can point people to which will help them read the formulas? Especially for those of us who took calculus quite a few years ago . . . I honestly don't remember how to say that big tall S when it's in a formula, and I'm sure there is a lot of other stuff that I've forgotten, or would like to look up to be sure.

And since you're looking for WORD PERFECT pling (which I can understand and agree with), it might be best to have a PLer who is quite familiar with calculus and so can help the readers on the bits that are difficult (like the formulas).

MaryAnn
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I have a B.S. in mathematics. It has been a while since then, though. LOL! I can help with something.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

MaryAnn, yes, I'm going to figure something out to help with the formulas. I agree with your suggestion of having somebody who's familiar with calculus to DPL.

Tricia, that would be great! :D Whatever you want to help with.

Elijah, thank you for your offer! I'm sending you a PM.

Thanks so much everybody! :)
Rachel

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

MATH! :shock:

I'll MC. Thanks for waiting for me :wink:

I have to go out in a moment, but I'll be back soon. I'll have a look at the text to see if there's any suggestions I can make wrt the reading, formulas etc.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

That would be great if you have any suggestions, thank you :D
And thanks for MC'ing, no hurry about setting it up. :)
Rachel

jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

WOW! Rachel, you have a interesting project in your hands! Math is one of my favorites (yes, I know. It's rare to find a Math Lover :lol:)

I would love to read this but I don't know how to read all the things written in the book :shock:
I only know subtract and multiple. :lol:

So I would like to listen it! If you would sign be as DPL it would be wonderful and I would glad to be in.

Thanks
~Jessie

Epic Music composer studying Film and Media Arts, BA :D
I love lights, camera, colors, and story!
Here are some tunes I made.

Staying in the U.S. starting Fall 2021.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Jessie, this is word perfect PLing.

If you don't know how to read the formulas yourself, I don't think you should DPL and check whether other people's reading is correct... I think we really need somebody to DPL who knows what they are doing and what they are supposed to hear.
I don't do word perfect PLing for various reasons, otherwise I would help out here.

Anyway...
Rachel, in our wiki are two links to spoken mathematics, the first one links to a book that has 10 pages of calculus :wink:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/English_Pronunciation_Guides#Mathematical_Equations_and_Notations
The book itself is here (pdf only): http://web.efzg.hr/dok/MAT/vkojic/Larrys_speakeasy.pdf
I have used it before and found it useful.

I have just found out that in the textlink on page 16 (Notes to Chapter 3), we have a "How to read Differentials" :wink:

I'll set up the MW in a moment.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

Availle wrote:Jessie, this is word perfect PLing.

If you don't know how to read the formulas yourself, I don't think you should DPL and check whether other people's reading is correct... I think we really need somebody to DPL who knows what they are doing and what they are supposed to hear.
I don't do word perfect PLing for various reasons, otherwise I would help out here.

Anyway...
Rachel, in our wiki are two links to spoken mathematics, the first one links to a book that has 10 pages of calculus :wink:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/English_Pronunciation_Guides#Mathematical_Equations_and_Notations
The book itself is here (pdf only): http://web.efzg.hr/dok/MAT/vkojic/Larrys_speakeasy.pdf
I have used it before and found it useful.

I have just found out that in the textlink on page 16 (Notes to Chapter 3), we have a "How to read Differentials" :wink:

I'll set up the MW in a moment.
Ava, I understand. I think it will be better to reject it. I don't wanted to make it a mess. Sorry.
~Jessie

Epic Music composer studying Film and Media Arts, BA :D
I love lights, camera, colors, and story!
Here are some tunes I made.

Staying in the U.S. starting Fall 2021.
Adamski

Post by Adamski »

Regarding reading the symbols, the text itself gives some direction to that effect. For example, on page 1:
These dreadful symbols are:
(1) d which merely means “a little bit of.”
Thus dx means a little bit of x; or du means a little bit of u. Ordinary
mathematicians think it more polite to say “an element of,”
instead of “a little bit of.” Just as you please. But you will find that
these little bits (or elements) may be considered to be indefinitely small.
(2) Z [the text has the long S thingy here]
which is merely a long S, and may be called (if you like) “the
sum of.”
Thus Z
dx means the sum of all the little bits of x; or Z
dt means
the sum of all the little bits of t. Ordinary mathematicians call this
symbol “the integral of.”
What the text doesn't help us with is how to read something like (e^x)+n. If we just read "e to power of x, plus n," it would be confounded with e^(x+n). So, yes, it would be good to have a consensus on how to read something like this.
The surest way to eliminate a right is to declare it an obligation

My current projects

Doctor Dolittle
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

Nice tip! Thank you. I'll note that one when I get to record some chapters.

Jessie