COMPLETE [DRAM READ] Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky-maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

GenVK wrote:Section 10 (Part 2, Chapter 3) Razumihin is done! Boy, he just LOOOVES to talk, at 19:50 -- https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/crimeandpunishment_razumihin_10.mp3

Hope it sounds good!

P.S.: I've appended the Dramatis personae introduction for Razzy on this one. Do I need to keep doing that for every recording, or can I cut that out of future uploads? Also, I attempted to cut down on the amount of nasal breaths I took, but some I kept in because the recording (to my ears) sounded weird without them. I'll attempt to be even more conscious of breath-taking into the mic next time I record, I swear.

Thanks!
Thanks! Yes, he has a lot of thoughts to share. :)

The voice credit only needs to be on one section.

Keeping some breaths in makes sense to me. I mean, Razzy breathes, too, right?
Mary

I'll be away from LV until mid January.
Dramatic reading: Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment
In italiano: Rime
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

P.S. I love that you're calling him Razzy. If there's one character in this novel who needs a good affectionate nickname, it's this dude. :lol:
Mary

GenVK

Post by GenVK »

HoosierMary wrote:P.S. I love that you're calling him Razzy. If there's one character in this novel who needs a good affectionate nickname, it's this dude. :lol:
I quite agree. The first time I read the book, I remember thinking Razzy was a bit of a douche at first, an elitist. But then, having read further on, I started thinking he was pretty cool. At the end of the book, he was one of my favorite characters. I think he deserves a nice nickname.
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

GenVK wrote:
HoosierMary wrote:P.S. I love that you're calling him Razzy. If there's one character in this novel who needs a good affectionate nickname, it's this dude. :lol:
I quite agree. The first time I read the book, I remember thinking Razzy was a bit of a douche at first, an elitist. But then, having read further on, I started thinking he was pretty cool. At the end of the book, he was one of my favorite characters. I think he deserves a nice nickname.
I had exactly the same experience. He's kind of a misogynist the first time we meet him, and, of course, loves the sound of his own voice. But the further you get into it, the more he becomes just so darn likable, in highly necessary contrast with his angst-y BFF (not that Raskolnikov is not also likable...in his own very Dostoyevsky-character sort of way).

It also helps that he's in love with probably my favorite character.
Mary

carteki

Post by carteki »

HoosierMary wrote:
GenVK wrote: Keeping some breaths in makes sense to me. I mean, Razzy breathes, too, right?
I have a different opinion, but I've opened it up to a broader discussion here.

Anon.
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

carteki wrote:
HoosierMary wrote:
GenVK wrote: Keeping some breaths in makes sense to me. I mean, Razzy breathes, too, right?
I have a different opinion, but I've opened it up to a broader discussion here.

Anon.
Thanks, Kim. I'll look forward to seeing what others have to say.
Mary

wwhite

Post by wwhite »

HoosierMary wrote: Wanda, if you could just add the voice credit to the next section you record, that would be great.
Is that just "Sonia read by Wanda White" or is everyone doing full names for the characters?

Thanks!

Wanda
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

wwhite wrote:
HoosierMary wrote: Wanda, if you could just add the voice credit to the next section you record, that would be great.
Is that just "Sonia read by Wanda White" or is everyone doing full names for the characters?

Thanks!

Wanda
I would like everyone to do the characters' full names, if you're comfortable with that. :) Tovarisch's awesome pronunciation guide should help.
Mary

jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

Wow! I'm reading this book in Korean right now and this project already interested me!
I would love to claim the roles, but since our country is +70 years, I can't... :cry:

But I would love to hear your final recordings. Keep it up! :clap:
~Jessie

Epic Music composer studying Film and Media Arts, BA :D
I love lights, camera, colors, and story!
Here are some tunes I made.

Staying in the U.S. starting Fall 2021.
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

jessieyun0404 wrote:Wow! I'm reading this book in Korean right now and this project already interested me!
I would love to claim the roles, but since our country is +70 years, I can't... :cry:

Thanks for the support, Jessie. :) If by chance we still have a role come 2017 (hope not, but with a big DR you never know), you know where to find us.
Mary

carteki

Post by carteki »

jessieyun0404 wrote:Wow! I'm reading this book in Korean right now and this project already interested me!

I think technically you'll need to wait until 2017 to listen? or am I mistaken?
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

carteki wrote:

I think technically you'll need to wait until 2017 to listen? or am I mistaken?
Um... Maybe no. I think I can listen to the final recordings because this is in public domain. The reason I can't record is because anyone can use the final recordings whatever they want, and that is out of order in +70 years.

I am only listening the recordings so that doesn't matter the copyright because the recordings are PD.

If I am mistaken, please notice me.
~Jessie

Epic Music composer studying Film and Media Arts, BA :D
I love lights, camera, colors, and story!
Here are some tunes I made.

Staying in the U.S. starting Fall 2021.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I notice you :-)

The recording is in the public domain in the US, not everywhere. Each country has its own rules. You can be prohibited from recording because by reading aloud you are making a copy, and that can require author's [estate's] permission by laws of your country. Also, to read aloud, you may use a digital version of the work, which is probably a copy made without author's [estate's] permission (and without paying him/her/them for it). And when you want to listen, you can't but make a copy of the [potentially copyrighted] work on your computer (or other device), which can also be prohibited.

Try to think of any act of making a copy without paying for it, and it can be prohibited. In your country.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

tovarisch wrote:I notice you :-)

The recording is in the public domain in the US, not everywhere. Each country has its own rules. You can be prohibited from recording because by reading aloud you are making a copy, and that can require author's [estate's] permission by laws of your country. Also, to read aloud, you may use a digital version of the work, which is probably a copy made without author's [estate's] permission (and without paying him/her/them for it). And when you want to listen, you can't but make a copy of the [potentially copyrighted] work on your computer (or other device), which can also be prohibited.

Try to think of any act of making a copy without paying for it, and it can be prohibited. In your country.
Thanks for jumping in! I want to point out, though, that most large DRs take at least a year to complete, so you probably won't have to wait too long to listen to it in a death +70 country (Jan 1, 2017). :)
Mary

arnaldo4455

Post by arnaldo4455 »

Hi,

i would like to put in for Part 85-93 - Arkady Ivanovitch Svidrigaïlov.

Thank you,

Arnaldo.

PS: Been away a while, but I would like to come back.