Help with French, please--The French pronunciation thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Thank you, Ezwa and Tovarisch! I knew I was close for the first part of the sentence, but the second part threw me. I thought I should ask the experts before slaughtering that sentence!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Can someone help me pronounce these French names for a chapter I am recording about famous explorers/travellers:

Gaspar Mollien
Fleuriau
M. de la Renaudière
Partarieu
Caillié
De Cailliaud
Letorzec
tony123

Post by tony123 »

msfry wrote:Can someone help me pronounce these French names for a chapter I am recording about famous explorers/travellers:

Gaspar Mollien
Fleuriau
M. de la Renaudière
Partarieu
Caillié
De Cailliaud
Letorzec
Here you go. I'm not a native speaker, but I think it will do the trick.

Best, --Tony

https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/French_names_for_Michele_Fry.mp3
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Tony. That's perfect!
mlcui

Post by mlcui »

Some help with this sentence, please.

La necessite empoisonne les maux qu'elle ne peut guerir - La Rochefoucauld

Thank you!
"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Desiderius Erasmus
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I'd probably read it as

Lah neh-seh-sih-TUmp-wah-ZON loe-MOH kel-noe poo ghe-REE[r] -- Lah rosh-foo-KOH

(uppercased syllables are emphasized). The 'oe' is the same sound 'i' makes in 'sir'. The second word flows into the third (sih-TUPM-wah...) Also, if you paste the phrase into Google Translate, it gives a decent rendition, I believe.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

There should be an accent on necessité, in which case it does not flow into the third word: neh-seh-sih-TEH ump-wah-ZON

And "les" should be leh (same e sound as in bet). The oe sound is for the singular, masculine "le".

Lah neh-seh-sih-TEH ump-wah-ZON leh MOH kel-noe poe ghe-REE[r] -- Lah rosh-foo-KOH
Karen S.
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hello mlcui,

Here's what it sounds like (different speeds): http://uploads.librivox.org/ezwa/french4mlcui_20150209.mp3 and how we would write it with the accents: "La nécessité empoisonne les maux qu'elle ne peut guérir - La Rochefoucauld."
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
mlcui

Post by mlcui »

ezwa wrote:Hello mlcui,

Here's what it sounds like (different speeds): http://uploads.librivox.org/ezwa/french4mlcui_20150209.mp3 and how we would write it with the accents: "La nécessité empoisonne les maux qu'elle ne peut guérir - La Rochefoucauld."
Thank you very much! :)
"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Desiderius Erasmus
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

From another thread, help needed:
roxy2012 wrote:I'm doing a solo project and there is one passage in French I need help with its

"Le Suel vrai sacrifice humain est celui de l'enfant par son p'ere; car l'enfant seul est relativement assez pur pour mourir au lieu d'un pècheur, et sa mort seule peut causer, dans l'a^me de celui qui veut apaiser Dieu, une douleur assez profonde pour qu'il tremble de l'offenser par de nouveaux pèchès qui exigeraient de nouvelles victimes"
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hello Ava,

Here it is at various speeds: https://librivox.org/uploads/ezwa/french4roxy2012_20150628.mp3.
And the text as read (the "_" indicate that the letter before and after it are linked so, the letter before is to be read):
"Le Seul vrai sacrifice humain est celui de l'enfant par son père; car l'enfant seul est relativement _ assez pur pour mourir au lieu d'un pécheur, et sa mort seule peut causer, dans l'âme de celui qui veut _ apaiser Dieu, une douleur assez profonde pour qu'il tremble de l'offenser par de nouveaux péchés qui exigeraient de nouvelles victimes."[/quote][/quote]
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »

KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

As a few of you know, whenever I see French in a project, I make like the guys in Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Run Away! Run Away!). However, I am working on a non-LV project about cowboys and was surprised to run into this poem in French (that is French isn't it?). Would someone be willing to post a recording for me so I can hear what it should sound like. :help: I have also posted the translation that the book provides. Thanks.

Poem:

Car il etait du monde ou les plus belles choses
Ont le pire destin.
Et Ringgold a vecu ce que vivent les roses
L’espace d’un matin

Translation:

For he was of the world in which the most beautiful things
Have the worst destiny,
And Ringgold lived as live the roses
The duration of a morning.
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hello Barry,

Here it is at different speeds (normal, slooooow, slowish, normal): https://librivox.org/uploads/ezwa/french4KiltedDragon_20150806.mp3.
And the text with the two missing accents :
Car il était du monde ou les plus belles choses
Ont le pire destin.
Et Ringgold a vécu ce que vivent les roses
L’espace d’un matin.

You made me think of the knights who say "ni." Ah... the good old Holy Grail. :-)
Ezwa

Boileau

KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Oh, thank you so much, Ezwa. :9:

I also see that the movie is being re-released in the theaters (though I have my own personal copy at home):
http://epicstream.com/news/Monty-Python-and-The-Holy-Grail-To-Return-To-Theaters
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Greetings--
I'm attempting to use a gruff, elder male voice--in theory quoting Napolean!--to pronounce the following phrases:

Voilà un garçon bien éveillé! Qui est ton père?

Le fils d'un boyard et d'un brave, pardessus le marché. J'aime les boyards. M'aimes-tu, petit?

Bah, il devient supersti’sioux!

Ah, petite feel’ alor!

Nay mon’tay je’may! Napoléon (vo tray’ me sin’sair).

(My own efforts have left this voice sounding like a redneck American southerner with marbles in his mouth--NOT the impression I was hoping to make.)

Thanks--

Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse