[COMPLETE] The Ladies' Paradise by Emile Zola - phil

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

This project is now complete and can be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/the-ladies-paradise-by-emile-zola/

The Ladies' Paradise by Émile Zola (1840 - 1902). Translated by Ernest Alfred Vizetelly (1853 - 1922)..
Zola's original French publication, Au Bonheur des Dames ("The Ladies' Delight"), published 1882, is the eleventh novel in his Rougon-Macquart series. This English translation by Ernest Alfred Vizetelly, was published in 1886. It's a glitzy, fast paced Parisian drama depicting life at the world's first department store, revealing its many innovative marketing concepts, fashion, glamour, lust, greed, courage, deception, human foibles, and the vision and financial risk-taking that led to a world transformation in shopping -- one that set all the little shop keepers on their heads. All this is contrasted by our heroine Denise, a young sales woman who struggles through financial hardship, back-stabbing friendships, and incredible temptations with a quiet courage that helps her rise to the top. As she passes through fire and emerges from it unscathed, we get Zola's masterful depiction of social upheaval and feminine resistance to evil.

In 2012 the BBC used the novel as the basis for an eight-part television series set in northern England titled The Paradise. A second season followed in 2013. The novel was also was adapted into a play, The Ladies' Delight, for BBC Radio 4, premiering in September 2010.
~ Solo by Kristinjg, Edited by Michele Fry, Summary by Michele Fry
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks14/1400561h.html
  • Proof listening: (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    Please insert between 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

INTRO FOR SECTION 1):
    • "Section [number] of The Ladies Paradise. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "read by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Ladies Paradise, by Émile Zola. Translated by Ernest Alfred Vizetelly. [Chapter X, Part Y]"

INTRO FOR ALL SUBSEQUENT SECTIONS):
    • "Section [number] of The Ladies Paradise by Émile Zola. Translated by Ernest Alfred Vizetelly. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "read by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "[Chapter X, Part Y]"
    END OF RECORDING:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter X, Part Y]"
    • If you wish to put this at the end rather than the beginning, say:
      "Read by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    END OF BOOK: say (in addition):
    • "End of The Ladies Paradise by Émile Zola. Translated by Ernest Alfred Vizetelly." [/i]
    There must be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename:
    ladiesparadise_##_zola_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number.
    (e.g. ladiesparadise_01_zola_128kb.mp3))
  • Example ID3 V2 tags:
    Artist: Émile Zola
    Title: Chapter X, Part Y
    Album: The Ladies Paradise

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
BC: Michele Fry (msfry)
MC: Phil Chenevert (philchenevert)
DPL: Michele Fry
Cover: Michele Fry
Soloist: Kristin (Kristinjg)
Last edited by msfry on July 29th, 2018, 8:12 am, edited 10 times in total.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I could dpl it for you if you wish.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
smijen

Post by smijen »

I will MC. Back soon with a MW.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
msfry

Post by msfry »

smijen wrote:I will MC. Back soon with a MW.
No, please read the First Post, which announces Phil Chenevert is MC'ing this project and I am the DPL. Thanks for the offers, though.
smijen

Post by smijen »

It's already set up, so I'll just take my name off and hand it over to Phil.

I think you will need to check in with the cover admins, though. A soloist is expected to act as their own BC; we've occasionally had people offer to BC for a soloist who really isn't able to do it, but this is the exception, and I wouldn't think this "stand-in BC" would be able to pre-claim the cover.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
msfry

Post by msfry »

smijen wrote:It's already set up, so I'll just take my name off and hand it over to Phil.

I think you will need to check in with the cover admins, though. A soloist is expected to act as their own BC; we've occasionally had people offer to BC for a soloist who really isn't able to do it, but this is the exception, and I wouldn't think this "stand-in BC" would be able to pre-claim the cover.
I know nothing about any such rule, and I've done it before. This is totally my project, and I invited Kristin to read it as I don't think my voice fits, hers does, and I don't think it would make a good group project. I'm no way a stand in BC, and I've read somewhere in a wiki or on the forum archives that this is one way projects can be organized. Why not? Different people, different skills, different time commitments. Some readers don't like to BC. Some BC's don't like to read. Most people don't design covers. I like it all. What can the problem be? If it fits the LV mission to get PD books recorded, and I'm excited to get this one done, how can there be a problem?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

If you're the BC for this one, you'll get cover pre-claim rights.

Just go over to the cover thread and claim.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
msfry

Post by msfry »

Availle wrote:If you're the BC for this one, you'll get cover pre-claim rights.

Just go over to the cover thread and claim.
Of course I'm familiar, and I will.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Sorry I'm late to this party; been away and busy. Yes, I am the MC, Michele is the BC and Kristin is the soloist. Sarah thanks for setting it up; I told Michele I wanted to MC this Zola story and to just put my name in the title to hold it till I got back this evening. Sorry for the confusion.
Never done one like this before but I see no problem with a soloist having someone else be the Book Coordinator. Perhaps there is of course and if someone knows of a difficulty please let me know.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
msfry

Post by msfry »

Phil, I missed the part about putting your name in the title. I just put it in the First Post. Sorry for the confusion, Sarah. Thanks for setting up the MW and for changing the reader from msfry to Kristinjg. Weirdly, I was in the MW making the change myself when it suddenly appeared.

Okay, now I'm ready to start filling it in.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

And hello, here I am, joining the party:)
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kristingj wrote:And hello, here I am, joining the party:)
Hi, Kristin. MW is all filled in. Some of the chapters ran to 13000 words, so I tried dividing everything up more or less into 20-30 minute segments so you wouldn't have to read too fast, or too long at a stretch. I tried to locate the break points at scene changes and/or cliff hangers, but if you find more sensible ones as you read, feel free to adjust them, (so long as they don't mess with the section numbers).

I'm looking forward to the first installment! Any questions or concerns, please let me know.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Moved to Going Solo
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
msfry

Post by msfry »

philchenevert wrote:Moved to Going Solo
Thanks, Phil. I've made arrangement with Kristin to let this project unfold at her pace. It's her first solo and she's working it in around many other commitments. However much time it may take, I'm anticipating a very enjoyable listen. :)
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Sorry for disappearing, we suddenly started moving a few weeks before planned, so everything is a bit all over the place, but I will have the first chapter up by the end of next weekend (ten days) at the last.
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!