COMPLETE[OperaLibretto] Don Juan by Lorenzo Da Ponte-maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Elizabeth,

They are at the end of scene 4. All is great through scene 4.

My one request . . . would you please give me another credit where you read the character description? I wasn't sure how to do that. Ava read it as part of her credit and I think that sounds better than me inserting the character description in my voice in the middle of your credit.

I have to say . . . I would not be crossing Donna Elvira if I were Don Juan! She is one intense woman!

MaryAnn
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

An opera libretto? How did I not see this the instant it was posted?? I have to be involved!

Hmmm. I could read Don Juan in my "male voice" but I'm not sure how well that will work with Leporello being a "real" man. Or I could read Musetto, who is supposed to be a younger man anyway. I could do either. I'm not too keen to be a "chorus lady" - I can do that in real life! :lol:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

You can read whatever you want! If Don Juan is your first choice, go for it . . .

MaryAnn
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Yes please! I'll claim D.J. then! I saw the opera just recently, and he has lots of interesting stuff to say! Sign me up! :9:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Beth. Don Juan is yours!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Note to all readers - Different BCs do it differently, but as for me, I am going to stick pretty close to the 2 month window for submitting your recordings.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Elizabeth and Ava,

Excellent readings by both of you! Dna. Anna and Dna. Elvira are all pasted in . . . what a soap opera!

If I could ask one favor, I forgot to mark an "all" line at the end of Act 2, scene 5. Could you send me through a reading of:

"Such is the end of the man who doeth evil; and the death of the perfidious".

Thanks.

MaryAnn
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Thanks, Mary Ann - glad all the lines are there. Here's an extra file with my expanded voice credit and that "all" line:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/donjuan_donnaelvira_extra.mp3
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Here's the first bit of Don Juan - the filename looks like a mistake but I think it's right! (If you say it aloud it sounds like "Don Juan, Don Juan, One, One". In my accent, it rhymes!)

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/donjuan_donjuan_1_1.mp3 (1:18)

This is with my "male voice" processing, but I saved the original file in case you don't like it. Could you have a quick listen and tell me if you think it sounds funny? From memory Larry has a fairly low voice and since DJ and Leporello share a lot of scenes I wanted the sound to match, rather than sounding too girly. Can't have a "girly" Don Juan! :roll:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Beth,

I think it sounds great! I have listened to enough of you to know that is you, but still, it's not. However you do that magic, I think it will work very well in the end product.

MaryAnn
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Elizabeth and Ava,

Excellent readings by both of you! Dna. Anna and Dna. Elvira are all pasted in . . . what a soap opera!

If I could ask one favor, I forgot to mark an "all" line at the end of Act 2, scene 5. Could you send me through a reading of:

"Such is the end of the man who doeth evil; and the death of the perfidious".
Sorry I just noticed this - umm... Donna Anna is not present in 2.5. Do you want me to read that line anyway?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Ava,

The only people in this scene are the Statue, Don Juan and Leperello.

The statue says "the time is past, it is now too late" and exits.

Don Juan says "what is this sudden fear that weighs upon my spirit?"

Then we have a line marked "all" : "Such is the end of the man who doeth evil; and the death of the perfidious".

Seems odd for Don Juan and Leperello to be the "all" to read that line, when the next stage direction say Don Juan is assailed by evil spirits and Leperello runs off.

I've checked an English score I found on Archive and it has these lines sung by a chorus . . . but since we have no "chorus", I thought I would try to sample/blend a couple of other character voices reading the line.

MaryAnn
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

The All line you are talking about is usually sung in the opera by an offstage "invisible chorus" pronouncing Don Giovanni's doom. I sang the chorus of this opera once and this is the only line we had in the whole of act 2.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Ava,

The only people in this scene are the Statue, Don Juan and Leperello.

The statue says "the time is past, it is now too late" and exits.

Don Juan says "what is this sudden fear that weighs upon my spirit?"

Then we have a line marked "all" : "Such is the end of the man who doeth evil; and the death of the perfidious".

Seems odd for Don Juan and Leperello to be the "all" to read that line, when the next stage direction say Don Juan is assailed by evil spirits and Leperello runs off.

I've checked an English score I found on Archive and it has these lines sung by a chorus . . . but since we have no "chorus", I thought I would try to sample/blend a couple of other character voices reading the line.

MaryAnn
If you like, I can read it in my normal "female" voice, as distinct from the male processing I'm putting on my "DJ" voice. The only problem is that my accent is pretty distinct, so I'm not sure if that would break the illusion of DJ being a man...
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Beth, but you are probably the one character voice that shouldn't be reading that line.

As long as I get a couple of the other characters to read it, I will have some material to use in some sort of off stage 'chorus' to add it to the end of the scene.

MaryAnn