[COMPLETE][Exploration]The Australian Explorers, by George Grimm - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

The Australian Explorers - Their Labours, Perils, and Achievements, by George Grimm (1833 - 1897).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/australian-explorers-by-george-grimm/

This is an abandoned solo resurrected as group project.
"The Story of the Exploration of Australia is one which we cannot willingly let die. There are many reasons for keeping alive the remembrance of such heroic deeds. It is due to the memory of those men who took their lives in their hands, and, in many cases, laid their bones in the desert; it is an act of gratitude on our part, who have entered on their labours; and it is a kind of information indispensable to every Australian who desires to know the history of his country." (from the Author's Preface)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/stream/australianexplor00grim#page/n3/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
Chapter [number] of The Australian Explorers - Their Labours, Perils, and Achievements.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org
[Optional: Read by your name.]
The Australian Explorers - Their Labours, Perils, and Achievements, by George Grimm.
Chapter Number and Title (see MW for full title)
End of recording:
Say:
End of Chapter [number].
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: Read by your name, city, date.]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
End of The Australian Explorers - Their Labours, Perils, and Achievements, by George Grimm.
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: australianexplorers_##_grimm_128kb.mp3 where # is the section number. (e.g. australianexplorers_01_grimm_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hiya, good morning, i can mc this for you :)
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

done! have fun with this project and please let me know if you need anything!
Carolin
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Do you need a DPL for this? I'd be happy to oblige!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

moving us out to going solo!
Carolin
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Excellent! Thank you, Carolin and eggs4ears.

I usually do my recording at dawn on Saturdays and Sundays, the household being quietest at those hours, then edit later those days, or after work during the week. Since our kids are on school holidays at the moment, I may consider an early morning weekday recording or two for the next fortnight though, this being a history rather than something with out-there voice characterisations. (The cat gave me such strange looks when I was voicing Cranky Jack (On Our Selection) and One-eyed Bogan (Send Round The Hat)). :lol: I just say this so you know why it'll probably be next weekend at the earliest before the first instalment gets uploaded.

Regards,
Son of the Exiles
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Preface - PL OK! An excellent start! I am going to enjoy this...
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

you have magic window access. sorry for not adding you as dpl right away :)
Carolin
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks!
Carolin wrote:you have magic window access. sorry for not adding you as dpl right away :)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Great stuff! And a nice picture of Wattamolla Lagoon. Did you work out where Tom Thumb's Inlet was - I assume the entrance to Illawara Lake?

I have three possible corrections, though at this point I should ask if you want to be word perfect or are happy with slight misreadings. All of the following may fall into the trivial category and might well be left standing. I usually read the text while I am PLing (otherwise I lose concentration), so I will notice these kinds of errors, but I could only point them out when they affect the sense. Please let me know what you think.

1:42 - 'held on his voyage without pause' - 'voyage' should be 'course'
14:36 - 'up to the time of this exploration' - 'exploration' should be 'expedition'
30:10 - 'he played an important part -> should be 'prominent part'
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I'm not altogether sure. I don't think they particularly change the sense like, say, an incorrect name, date, place, etc would. I wonder if Carolin perhaps has an opinion?
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

my opinion is that anything that doesnt change the text and is a sufficiently small error needs not be changed (id put those three in that category).

i find that an edit can sound worse than an error - at least i personally cant ever get changes to sound right :)
Carolin
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Thanks, Carolin.

As to Tom Thumb Lagoon, e4e, there's this: https://neilcommonplacebook.wordpress.com/2013/06/22/tom-thumb-lagoon/
Guess it had the misfortune not to be in the Royal National Park.