Windows upgrade - effect on us, if any?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

Does anybody know if Windows 10 will adversely affect use of this site or Audacity? I know it's not officially out yet for ?consumers, but have any testers of it had any forewarning beyond the dismissal of the Media Center?
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

I sure hope not. The computer I use runs Windows 8.1, which apparently gets a free update to Windows 10.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I would doubt that win 10 would effect our site, unless there's something strange they do with explorer. Audacity or any other type of program is a possibility, but even there I would say it's unlikely to completely break.

I wouldn't update immediately anyway, BT. Give it some time, say 6 months, for it to be out and people having time to complain before you step into that deep end. Until a few months ago, I was still running XP. Now, on my new machine, I deliberately downgraded to win7... No need to be the first one to get burned :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Availle wrote:I would doubt that win 10 would effect our site, unless there's something strange they do with explorer.
They say there will be a lot of changes to internet browsing on Windows 10.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If the IE for Win10 breaks the internet, we'll sue Microsoft.

But I doubt it'll be anything that dramatic. :P
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Rumsfeld's approach to eventualities:
"There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know."

The Coober Pedy Drive-In's approach: (scroll down to the management's reminder sign for forgetful opal miners)
http://www.cooberpedydrivein.org.au/history.html
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
LordBob

Post by LordBob »

I have using Windows 10 for about a week and have uploaded files with no difficulty. I have not had any problems with recording my sections. :thumbs: (YOUR mileage may vary)
Audacity released a new version two weeks ago (2.1.1) http://audacityteam.org/download/windows and most comments are positive.
They invite reports of success/problems with the new OS. You may find a driver update to be necessary if you get a device error. http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=86774 Audacity forums can be monitored for any errors/solutions others might have encountered. They look to be on top of things.
No trees were injured in the preparation of this post.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I updated a week or so ago. The new browser for Windows 10 is Microsoft Edge. I haven't used it much since I'm continuing to use Firefox. Some of your older hardware may be incompatible or may need the drivers updated. Otherwise it's been a pretty smooth transition. Audacity works fine. IE is still available and still works, but it is no longer the default browser. You can find it in the Programs folder using the File Explorer.
Jo
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I upgraded to Win10 and it went smoothly. But ..... Audacity stopped working; apparently the audio drivers for Nvidia do not play well with the upgrade or something. Just went back to Win7 and everthing is fine, recorded some poems tonight. Whew. :roll:
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
david wales

Post by david wales »

I updated to windows 10 and (deo gratias) everything continues to work just fine.
Peace, David