Chronicles of Narnia

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

It's kind of like the Jungle book -- to me anyway -- how there was one part, and the next part was a story of what happened somewhere in the middle of the last one. :)
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Yeah, I get what you mean:)
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

Kangaroo692 wrote:One of my family's favorite things to do is to (after we read the book) watch the movie, and point out any differences we see. :D

What is your favorite Narnia book?
I'm Prince Caspian or The Silver Chair...for me :)
~Jessie

Epic Music composer studying Film and Media Arts, BA :D
I love lights, camera, colors, and story!
Here are some tunes I made.

Staying in the U.S. starting Fall 2021.
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Yes, Silver Chair is a scary one... :shock:
The cover of my edition for some reason has the green snake thingy (oh, I wish I could remember her name!) silver instead of green, I wonder why...?
kadath
Location: "The ghoul-haunted woodland of Weir" Carasoyn, West Virginia

Post by kadath »

"The Horse and His Boy" is my favorite Narnia book also, I was really hoping that they would make that one into a (big budget) movie. Those that love Lewis's fantasy and imaginative fiction should check out James Stephen's "The Crock of Gold" http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1605/1605-h/1605-h.htm. It was one of his favorites and traces of that book can be seen throughout a lot of his fiction output including the Narnia books.
Last edited by kadath on May 3rd, 2015, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

I think I see a new project coming on... :)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I just love the Narnia books - I have a professional set of Dram Reads of all the books, complete with music and sound effects! :9:

My favourite is definitely Silver Chair. It contains two of my favourite concepts - the first is when the Marsh Wiggle has that long discussion with the Queen of the Underworld about the nature of reality. The second is when they realise that they have messed up following all the signs, but decide to be obedient to Aslan's command when it really matters, even if the personal cost is high.

Although my absolute favourite scene in the whole series is from Voyage of the Dawn Treader - the un-dragoning of Eustace. I just love and adore that scene! (I did NOT like what they did with that movie though. I sat through the whole bit with the "magical mist" going "WHAaaat?" and then the magical swords and all the rest - I preferred the original "unimproved" version. :roll:

I haven't see that book "Crock of Gold" - running off to look at it now! It isn't in the catalogue yet, so it might be a suitable group project if Kangaroo would like to help read!

EDIT: Nice short chapters, would be a lovely group project - unless Kangaroo wants it for a solo?
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Go right ahead... I usually don't BC a book unless I'm very familiar with it and I've been planning it for months. :wink:
And I'm not in a position to take on any solos at the moment, so whoever wants to solo it or BC it, go right ahead. If you want to I may be able to read a chapter. :)

EDITED TO ADD: Oh, it looks like you have already started it. :)

I LOVE The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Especially the mysterious gold island. (which I still don't understand...)

I just got Bringing Narnia Home in the mail, and although I've only read the preface, I highly recommend it. And also Planet Narnia is interesting to read. Both of these are Christian books.

Do any copyright experts here know when Narnia will be PD? I know it is in Canada (not in the US, sadly) and Rachel (SweetPea) is coordinating it.
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Kangaroo692 wrote:Do any copyright experts here know when Narnia will be PD? I know it is in Canada (not in the US, sadly) and Rachel (SweetPea) is coordinating it.
I'm not speaking as an expert. My research shows that the general rule of thumb is 95 years from publication for works published 1923–1963. The series was written between 1949 and 1954 so that suggests PD in the US starting Jan 1, 2045 for the first book and Jan 1, 2050 for the last.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
English Andrew

Post by English Andrew »

January 1st 2034 for UK readers (and other life + 70 countries).
Live in a Life + 70 or Life + 50 country? Record with us on legamus.eu too. It's like LibriVox but for those who obey different ridiculous rules on what's public domain.
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

So for us U.S. citizens, it will be 30 years... I wonder what LV will be like then.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Elizabby wrote:
I haven't see that book "Crock of Gold" - running off to look at it now! It isn't in the catalogue yet, so it might be a suitable group project if Kangaroo would like to help read!

EDIT: Nice short chapters, would be a lovely group project - unless Kangaroo wants it for a solo?
Sorry folks. I did launch this, but then changed my mind. I realised I'm going to be pretty busy in the next few months and I want to launch a new DR and a new Play.

I saved the chapter word counts though, if anyone else wants to start it. I don't think I will - too much Gaelic for me to feel comfortable BCing this one.
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

Elizabby wrote:
Elizabby wrote:

Sorry folks. I did launch this, but then changed my mind. I realised I'm going to be pretty busy in the next few months and I want to launch a new DR and a new Play.

I saved the chapter word counts though, if anyone else wants to start it. I don't think I will - too much Gaelic for me to feel comfortable BCing this one.
Beth, I'm interested, and I'd like to be handle this out.
~Jessie

Epic Music composer studying Film and Media Arts, BA :D
I love lights, camera, colors, and story!
Here are some tunes I made.

Staying in the U.S. starting Fall 2021.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Gaelic words are really difficult, they don't sound anything like they are written to English speakers so it could make the stories hard to follow - just saying :D

Anne
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

jessieyun0404 wrote:
Beth, I'm interested, and I'd like to be handle this out.
You can have my word counts if you want them, but I suggest you have a read of the book first yourself and see if you can manage it. If you still want it after you've read the first couple of chapters, launch the project (18 sections) and PM me and I'll post the chapter word counts in the thread for you.