Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

great, thank you erin!
Carolin
iamKatina

Post by iamKatina »

Erin -

A Ledge on Antwerp is beautifully done!! I did notice quite a bit of background noise (maybe night time pond life?) in the first half or so; the background noise was less noticeable starting 1:02. Other than that it's PL OK :thumbs:
Katina (iamKatina)

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
― Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you katina!
Carolin
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Thanks!

I think I'll redo it, as it's a short poem. I already do three rounds of noise removal and one of levelling, and I don't know if anything more would distort it. Short passages with extra cleaning might be a bit less noticeable with prose, but I'm reluctant to do it with poetry. I hope the next time is quieter!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Newgatenovelist wrote:I already do three rounds of noise removal and one of levelling, and I don't know if anything more would distort it.
:shock: that cant be right! you can change the parameters with the noisecleaning so that you need only one effective round -- if you dont know how to do that, post an uncleaned file in test recordings and ask our pros for help.
Carolin
Newgatenovelist

Is that too much? I thought it was better to do fewer incremental rounds of cleaning than to do one with high settings before I manually clean up the file.

Would it be advisable to post another test in the listeners wanted section? I've already had a LOT of help, as it took a few attempts to get my one-minute test to this standard.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

well, the important thing is to get the bit rate, sample rate and mode etc. right, and you have that. the background noise is often really tricky.

do you know what causes the noise? the best is to avoid background noise in the first place, so make sure your windows are closed, airconditioning is off etc. i personally record in my bedroom, where the sound tends to be best and where there are fewest objects that generate noise. you can get electrical interference, so make sure your computer is plugged right into the wall rather than into an extension, and keep all other electrical devices away from your desk.

you are right that too high settings can go wrong, but you have quite a few parameters you can play around with. i admit i dont know much about them myself though :roll: if you got the ok on your one minute test, you are in principle good to go and though i cant listen to your recording at the moment, im sure you sound fine. but if you have a bit of time to invest in trying to improve the noisecleaning, i would recommend posting another sample as a one minute test, asking help specifically with the noise.

but thats up to you, we dont aim for perfection :D
Carolin
Newgatenovelist

Thanks for the advice. I've posted a test, so with any luck there will be other things to try. I'll give it a few days just in case before I re-record the poem.
Newgatenovelist

I've been impatient! I've been playing with various settings. I think a lot of the hum is gone, but I'm certainly open to further suggestions, or to redoing it if need be.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/defenceofthebride_23_green_128kb.mp3

The new time is 2.19.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you erin :D
Carolin
iamKatina

Post by iamKatina »

Erin - A Legend of Antwerp is (again) beautifully done! It does kind of sound like you are in a tunnel - but so much better than the previous background noise! Thanks so much for all your hard work!!!!
Katina (iamKatina)

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
― Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
Newgatenovelist

Thank you!

I realise the sound isn't ideal. I've been fiddling with my recording setup as well as my editing, and I fervently hope it's going to get better!
Spoken4

Post by Spoken4 »

I'd like to give "The Confession of the King's Musketeer" a try.
-Spoken4 (Charles).
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you charles!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

weve got orphans!
Carolin