FULL [PLAY] Ram Alley, or Merry Tricks by Lording Barry- thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

mechanicalpoet wrote:I'll take Mistress Taffeta.
Hi Alex,

You got it! I see you are a new member. I take it you've done the one minute test already?
Rob Marland reader section | website
alane

Post by alane »

RobBoard wrote:
alane wrote:I'll take Mistress Taffeta.
Hi Alex,

You got it! I see you are a new member. I take it you've done the one minute test already?
I have. I've also done a few other recordings, too.
- Alex Lane
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

alane wrote:
RobBoard wrote:
alane wrote:I'll take Mistress Taffeta.
Hi Alex,

I have. I've also done a few other recordings, too.
Thanks, Alex. Good to have you on board. Please read Taffetta's entry in my first page post if you have not done so already, and, if you can make her 100% bawdy, all to the good! Have fun with it!
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks again, Kristin. Perfect and PL OK!
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I've already volunteered for The Shoemaker's Holiday, and I just realized you were doing this one too, so I'd like a part, if that's okay. I don't know this play as well, though I have read it, many years ago. How about Lieutenant Beard, if that's okay? :)

Brad "Hamlet"
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Hamlet wrote:I've already volunteered for The Shoemaker's Holiday, and I just realized you were doing this one too, so I'd like a part, if that's okay. I don't know this play as well, though I have read it, many years ago. How about Lieutenant Beard, if that's okay? :)

Brad "Hamlet"
Great! Thanks, Brad.

There's no requirement that you know the play well. Anyway, you will notice that I have included a summary at the start of every scene for readers who are interested in what's going on.

Beard is a very confused character. He (or possibly the author) forgets whose side he is on. For that reason, even though I have never seen the play performed, I have imagined him played as a bit of a dolt. Strong but dim!

Some readers find it easier to read in their own voices (me too, most of the time), so don't feel you have to put on a voice if it's too difficult. The most important thing is that we get the play in the catalogue!
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks a lot, Brad!

Great reading, and only a couple of things to fix, both in 4.4.

There seems to be some kind of noise in the background when you read the following line:
BEARD. Draw I not so: my blade's as ominously drawn
Unto the death of nine or ten such grooms,
As is a knife unsheath'd, with th' hungry maw,
Threat'ning the ruin of a chine of beef:
But for the restless toil it took of late,
My blade shall sleep awhile.
The reading is fine, and the noise doesn't show up elsewhere.

Immediately after this line is:
BEARD. Stop thy throat.
And hear me speak, whose bloody characters
Will show I have been scuffling. Briefly thus:
Thy wife, your daughter, and your lovely niece,
Is hurri'd now to Fleet Street: the damn'd crew
With glaves and clubs have rapt her from these arms.
Throat, thou art bobb'd; although thou bought'st the heir,
Yet hath the slave made a re-entry.
I think I read in an annotated edition that 'rapt' is pronounced 'raped', which makes sense if the word used to have a more general meaning. Also, 'bought'st' is the past tense of buy so should sound like bortst rather than bowst. You may find it easier to re-record the whole line than try to spot edit these words.

You can either upload the 4.4 file with the edits, or make a new file and label it ...beard_supp. Whichever is easier.
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Just listened to it myself. I'm not sure what that noise is, and I'm not sure why I didn't notice it myself earlier.

I'm surprised I pronounced "bought'st" as I did actually. I would have assumed it should be like "bot'st" but I'll say it your way. As for rapt, I'll follow your advice as well. It seems to make sense in context. Oddly enough, when I've heard it pronounced by actors in Shakespeare (such as Macbeth 1-3 when Banquo says, "Look how our partner's rapt") it is pronounced as I pronounced it (though, of course, in that passage the "rape" alternate meaning is absent).

Anyway, I'll make that edit in the morning. My roommate is playing her music now. :)

Brad
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Hamlet wrote:Just listened to it myself. I'm not sure what that noise is, and I'm not sure why I didn't notice it myself earlier.

I'm surprised I pronounced "bought'st" as I did actually. I would have assumed it should be like "bot'st" but I'll say it your way. As for rapt, I'll follow your advice as well. It seems to make sense in context. Oddly enough, when I've heard it pronounced by actors in Shakespeare (such as Macbeth 1-3 when Banquo says, "Look how our partner's rapt") it is pronounced as I pronounced it (though, of course, in that passage the "rape" alternate meaning is absent).

Anyway, I'll make that edit in the morning. My roommate is playing her music now. :)

Brad
Ah yes, with your American accent it would be more like bot'st. Go for that if it feels more natural. As long as the meaning is clear, it's fine by me.
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Canadian accent actually (Nova Scotia) but many of our pronunciations come from the States. I'm pronouncing Beard's rank "LEFtenant" in the British manner, for example, but in my normal speech I usually use LOOtenant (even though officially, Canada uses the British pronunciation, most of us pronounce it the U.S. way).

Brad
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Hamlet wrote:Corrected Lieutenant Beard 4-4

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/ramalleybarry_beard_4-4.mp3

Thanks, Brad! All PL OK now. And sorry I confused you with your cousins down south. I am not so hot with accents!
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

mechanicalpoet wrote:Here's Mistress Taffeta. I tried doing an accent, but it led to some serious stuttering.
Thanks, Alex. Accent not a problem - I don't expect everyone to have a good 17th Century London accent!

I am a bit busy with other work this week, but will try to PL by next weekend. Sorry for the wait.