COMPLETE: Our Young Folks' Plutarch by Rosalie Kaufman - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Our Young Folks' Plutarch by Rosalie Kaufman ( - 0).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/our-young-folks-plutarch-by-rosalie-kaufman/

Plutarch's Lives is a series of fifty biographies of famous Greek and Roman men written around 100 AD. In Our Young Folks' Plutarch, Rosalie Kaufman has adapted these biographies for young readers. In the preface she writes, “The lives which we here present in a condensed simple form are prepared from those of Plutarch. Plutarch says, ‘It must be borne in mind that my design is not to write histories, but lives.’ This is why anecdotes, short sayings or a word or two of repartee are frequently recorded. For they furnish a better insight into the thoughts and character of a man than his most glorious exploit, famous siege, or bloody battle. So it is lives, and not a history, that we offer; this must be borne in mind when some of the most important events the world has ever known receive insufficient mention.”
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=kaufman&book=plutarch&story=_contents
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book: plutarch's lives, alexander the great, demosthenes, caesar, lycurgus, pyrrhus

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of Our Young Folks' Plutarch. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Our Young Folks' Plutarch, by Rosalie Kaufman. [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Our Young Folks' Plutarch, by Rosalie Kaufman."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      youngfolksplutarch_##_kaufman_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. youngfolksplutarch_01_kaufman_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (NOTE: ID3 tags are now optional - reader's don't need to add them as they are added automatically during cataloging)
      Artist: Rosalie Kaufman
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Our Young Folks' Plutarch

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by ej400 on February 27th, 2016, 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I would like to try dedicated proof listening on this one.
Last edited by ej400 on March 18th, 2015, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

I'm interested in this one. I may not be able to read though. Hopefully there will be a section on Publicola.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

There is a chapter on him, and I think we can assign that for you after the Magic Window is up.

Thank you :D
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

I'm not sure I'll be able to do it, so please don't assign it to me yet. Thank you.
TheSteve

Post by TheSteve »

Hi ej, pending the outcome of my 1 Minute Test, I would like to give a chapter or two a try. This will be my first 'adventure', so I don't want to overcommit, lol. I noticed the section numbers aren't loaded yet, but I would be interested in Marius, Sylla, Caesar, or the Gracchus brothers, or whatever works out best.

Thanks!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Okay. When the Magic Window is up, do you want me to assign those for you?

Thank you. :D
TheSteve

Post by TheSteve »

I'll sign up for Tiberius and Caius Gracchus and see how it goes. When I'm done with those, I'll sign up for some others if they aren't claimed yet. Sound good?

Thanks ej! :thumbs:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll MC this project. MW will be available shortly.

Since this will be your first project as book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" (MW) in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

Since you have indicated that you would like to also be the DPL for this project, we can move to Reader's Wanted as soon as you have filled in the titles in the MW. You will need to write your own summary since the one you have posted is from another site and therefore not in the public domain.
If you have any questions, let me know. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
ej400

Post by ej400 »

'll sign up for Tiberius and Caius Gracchus and see how it goes. When I'm done with those, I'll sign up for some others if they aren't claimed yet. Sound good?

Thanks ej! :thumbs:
I will put those in the MW for you. :D
Last edited by ej400 on March 20th, 2015, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

ej - In order to assign sections these sections, you needed to add TheSteve as a new reader. I'll do it for you this time, but you can do this yourself using the New Reader button on the section compiler page.

@TheSteve - let us know by what name you would like to credited in the catalog. This can be your forum name, your real name or another pseudonym. For now, I have entered your forum name, but it can be changed. We can also add a link to a personal website if you have one. Here is the link to your catalog page. If you click on the Reader Sections link, you will see a table of all the sections you have claimed in open projects which you can use to help you keep track of your reading commitments. :)

https://librivox.org/reader/9897
Jo
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Can we now move this to Reders Wanted: Books?

I also forgot the book is 50 chapters long. Not 48. I fixed that. :lol: