The Passing of the Armies by Joshua Lawrence Chamberlian

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Bill2147

Post by Bill2147 »

The Passing of the Armies :by Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

This is a first hand account of the experiences of Brevet Lieutenant General Joshua Chamberlain during the last months of the American Civil War. A professor at Bowden College when the war began, he sensed the historical signifigence of the conflict, as many others did on both sides, and decided he wanted to be part of it. His requested a leave of absence to study language and instead joined the Union Army. He served in more than 20 battles and was awarded the Medal of Honor for his defense of Little Round Top on July 2, 186. at the battle of Gettysburg. He was severley wounded several times and was believed to be near death after a severe wound at the Battle of Reive's Salient. He survived and returned having been wounded 6 times during his service. He was honored by General Grant with being the Officer chosen to recieve the formal surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia at Appomttox Courthouse on April12, 1865. He devotes an entire chapter to the events surrounding the surrender. This is a detailed first hand account of the events that led to the end of the American Civil War and the events of it's immediate aftermath.

Gordon, at the head of the marching column, outdoes us in courtesy. He was riding with downcast eyes and more than pensive look; but at this clatter of arms he raises his eyes and instantly catching the significance, wheels his horse with that superb grace of which he is master, drops the point of his sword to his stirrup, gives a command, at which the great Confederate ensign following him is dipped and his decimated brigades, as they reach our right, respond to the 'carry.' All the while on our part not a sound of trumpet or drum, not a cheer, nor a word nor motion of man, but awful stillness as if it were the passing of the dead.[11]

https://archive.org/details/cu31924026471569/page/n11
Last edited by Bill2147 on March 22nd, 2015, 5:36 am, edited 5 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The link you gave says it was published in 1915 - so that version is definitely PD in the USA

Anne
Bill2147

Post by Bill2147 »

Thanks. Amazon has it on sale as a publication. It was apparently reprinted at some point. Not clear on how that works. I would like to read this, but I am too slow at this to finish it in a reasonable time. Easy text to read.
Tanica

Post by Tanica »

I would love to be a part of this project as well. I actually own a copy of this book (not the 1915 version, so I'd still have to read it from online). He is one of my favorite Civil War characters.
Tanica

Currently reading "Unknown to History" by Charlotte M. Yonge.
Bill2147

Post by Bill2147 »

I would also like to read this. Unfortunately I am involved in two others that I am behind on. The Civil War Collection I am involved in is almost finished. I hope to find a BC for this.
Bill2147

Post by Bill2147 »

Any interest in this project?
Tanica

Post by Tanica »

I am still interested.
Tanica

Currently reading "Unknown to History" by Charlotte M. Yonge.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

If you want to atract more interest, please provide a summary.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Bill2147

Post by Bill2147 »

I need help editing this so I can write a summary. Not sure how that is done.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You just go to your first post in this thread and click on the edit button (top right corner)
The maybe just write what you would say to a friend as to why he should read the book. Or if you are really stuck see if it is on Wikipedia. Sell it to the audience :D

Anne