COMPLETE: History of the Pelop. War, by Thucydides - NF/ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This project is complete and can be found here on the LibriVox catalogue: http://librivox.org/the-history-of-the-peloponnesian-war-by-thucydides/

The History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides. Translated by Richard Crawley.

01 May 2006: Gesine is taking over as Book Coordinator, as Hugh is very busy with other things just now.

1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are ?up for grabs.? Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you?d like to read (include the blue number, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: 30 June 2006 ? but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it?ll go back to the pool. There?s no shame in this; we?re all volunteers and things happen.
    Please post progress updates here every now and then, but definitely before 15 June!
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/7142

Reader list last updated: 01 August 2006, 2155GMT+2
    Sections claimed: 26 of 26 (100%)
    Sections done: 26 of 26 (100%)

Completed chapters can be found here: http://librivox.gesine.org/coordination/peloponnesian/

Ryan - Book 1 Chapter 01
    Ryan - Book 1 Chapter 02
    Ryan - Book 1 Chapter 03
    Ryan - Book 1 Chapter 04
    Ryan - Book 1 Chapter 05
    Ryan - Book 2 Chapter 06
    Ryan - Book 2 Chapter 07
    Ryan - Book 2 Chapter 08
    cdm2003 - Book 3 Chapter 09
    Caeristhiona - Book 3 Chapter 10
    cberrius - Book 3 Chapter 11
    cberrius - Book 4 Chapter 12
    cberrius - Book 4 Chapter 13
    cberrius - Book 4 Chapter 14
    cdm2003 - Book 5 Chapter 15
    cdm2003 - Book 5 Chapter 16
    cdm2003 - Book 5 Chapter 17
    cdm2003 - Book 6 Chapter 18
    cdm2003 - Book 6 Chapter 19
    cdm2003 - Book 6 Chapter 20
    VictoriaVipere - Book 7 Chapter 21
    Deborah177 - Book 7 Chapter 22
    Caeristhiona - Book 7 Chapter 23
    ianish - Book 8 Chapter 24
    ianish - Book 8 Chapter 25
    ianish - Book 8 Chapter 26
  5. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Sample rate
    1. 44.1KHz is the default sample rate in lots of software. We like getting files at this rate.
    2. Some know-it-all told us that 32KHz sounds better. If you know how, try to use this rate.
    3. We want to make this easy, so we'll take any rate from 22 to 44.1KHz, if you need us to.
    4. Please don't use 48KHz or anything under 22KHz. If you accidentally send us something at these rates, our uploaders will resample it for you and advise you on how to record at a sample rate we can use. Don't worry, your work will never be wasted!
  6. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The History of the Peloponnesian War, by Thucydides. Translated by Richard Crawley. Book [number], chapter(s) [number(s)]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      ?End of Book [number], chapter(s) [number(s)]"
    • At the end of the whole book, say (in addition):
      "End of The History of the Peloponnesian War, by Thucydides, and translated by Richard Crawley."

Please leave a couple of seconds silence at the end of your recording!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  7. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3 , following this pattern:
    peloponnesian_b1_ch2_thucydides

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use ? if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message).

Title: peloponnesian_b1_ch2
    Artist: thucydides
    Album: peloponnesian

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Files can either be posted here in the forum (link to your webspace) or emailed via http://yousendit.com to: justgesine AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk (if you use yousendit, please post the resulting link in this thread), or uploaded to my ftp server (PM me for details).

I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    - If you are not listed here: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/ListOfReadersCatalogNames I'll need your name as you want it to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your webpage URL (if applicable)
    - the runtime of the recording in format hh:mm:ss
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.
ianish

Post by ianish »

Hi everyone doing Thucydides
I have put my name down for chapter eight of Thucydides, but looking at things at the moment, I will not be getting it done in any reasonable amount of time. Half way through Book 24, but 25 and 26 are not likely to get done in a hurry. Will push on, but if anyone is able to pick up the last two books, that would be brilliant. Must confess, having huge amounts of trouble with the names, which has my tongue tied up in knots, and needs someone with greater dexterity.
ianish
Speaking the words of others to find another voice
alexfoster

Post by alexfoster »

Hello -- I understand exactly where you're coming from on this. I've been stumbling through. The story is good, but the names really get in the way. Am finding it very difficult to get motivated to do this, I'm afraid :(
[url]http://www.alexfoster.me.uk[/url]
Work in progress: [url=http://www.alexfoster.me.uk/podcasting]here[/url]
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

onward librivox volunteers!!

call of the wild is the current librivox podcast, all about the tough dogs of the north who were miserable as soon as they were cut from the traces, as soon as they had no load to carry -- no matter how heavy the weight, no matter how long the trip, no matter how cold the day, all they wanted to do was run as a team, pulling goods from Dawson to Whitehorse!

and so, we too must press on! ... all public domain literature awaits a free audio version from us! don't let mere stumbly names get in the way, take a few minutes before reading, go through, practice the names first, write them phonetically if you need to, and then soldier on. free thucydides into the airwaves! your praises will be sung by the Zeus and all the gods, and all the listeners from now until they don't make computers anymore, anyone who wants to hear thucydides, from now to the end of time, will be able to do so because of the fine work you have done!

(ps alex, verne's journey is coming soon... 1 edited 2 to go... do you know how to pronounce gr?uben?).
Squiddhartha

Post by Squiddhartha »

Hugh, I pronounced Gr?uben in the German fashion: GROYben. For what it's worth.

Regarding the Thucydides, Randomdad happens to be a friend of mine, and I know he's been feeling swamped lately, particularly due to some health issues that have arisen. If the project as a whole can wait for him, I'm sure he'll do a stellar job.
This username is also my Gmail address.
"But if you've got a nuclear bomb, then you don't need the Jell-O!"
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

When I saw we started Peloponnesian, I said, whooaaa this could be a cool project! a bold choice. I don't think there's any hurry to get it done, and it's been great so far... so ianish, alex, randomdad, take your time, but it will be a great testament to the odd nooks and crannies of audioliterature when we complete this one.
alexfoster

Post by alexfoster »

hugh wrote: (ps alex, verne's journey is coming soon... 1 edited 2 to go... do you know how to pronounce gr?uben?).
Hmmm, can you do a uvular flap?

http://www.niles.org.uk/librivox/graeuben.mp3
[url]http://www.alexfoster.me.uk[/url]
Work in progress: [url=http://www.alexfoster.me.uk/podcasting]here[/url]
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

shit i'll have to go thru it and edit in the groy-ben... was saying gr-ow-ben.
kayray

Post by kayray »

heh... if i were you i wouldn't worry about it, hugh. if we have to fix up all our mispronounced foreign words we'll never get anywhere! i've had to stumble through some French in A Little Princess, and, while I'm comfortable with German, I see I'm going to have to cope with MORE French and some Italian, too, in Verne... I'm just going to do my best and try not stress about it.

I tend toward nutty perfectionism (don't tell me you didn't notice, lol) and the resulting never-getting-anything-done, so I'm trying to relax...

kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

I tend toward nutty perfectionism (don't tell me you didn't notice, lol) and the resulting never-getting-anything-done, so I'm trying to relax...
kara if the rest of us could "never-getting-anything-done" at your rate, we'd have to be looking for swahili public domain books by now!
ianish

Post by ianish »

Good to know I am not alone. The sheer depression at stumbling over names, twisting up my tongue so that I find that I am mispronoucing even simple words, so like AlexF, motivation was becoming an issue. Doing it in small chunks seem to help. It really is such a brilliant story - even better than I remember it. Not sure if I fancy myself as a husky in the tracers, but much encouraged. By the way has anyone any idea how to pronounce Cyzicene in the following:

and the Cyzicene Timagoras, put out from Peloponnese

also: plundering the Cnidian territory

is it a hard C like Chios, which makes it sound odd, or soft C. Any suggetions.

Onward to Whitehorse!
Cheers
ianish[/quote]
cdm2003

Post by cdm2003 »

Most words of Greek origin tend to take a hard "C" at the beginning of the word and a soft "C" in the middle...but that's just an English convention as opposed to anything remotely Greek. There are, of course, exceptions, like Cyzicene.

Cyzicene: Si-zi-seen' (the "i"'s are short like the "i" in "sit") - accented ultimate.

Cnidian: k'ni'-di-an - (first "i" short, second "i" long) - accented antepenultimate - this is tough to get out of Western mouths, but not so hard for the ancient Greeks and Romans. Think of the word "magnet." Now, drop the "ma" and the "et" and you are getting close, except Cnidian is going to start farther back on the soft palette with more of a "K" than a "G." The roll onto the "n" from the "C" should sound smooth, yet both consonants should be distinctly heard.

I hope this helps! :D

Take care,
Chris
rfrancis

Post by rfrancis »

Squiddhartha wrote:Hugh, I pronounced Gr?uben in the German fashion: GROYben. For what it's worth.

Regarding the Thucydides, Randomdad happens to be a friend of mine, and I know he's been feeling swamped lately, particularly due to some health issues that have arisen. If the project as a whole can wait for him, I'm sure he'll do a stellar job.
I'm here. Squiddhartha has (thanks, man) said what I needed to say. Don't count me out yet, please!

On another note, Ancient Greek is very unlikely to have been pronounced much like Modern Greek, and consequently, pronunciation of Ancient (Attic, or even later stuff like Koine, really) is a best-guess sort of thing. So don't sweat it, is my advice. :) I picked this book to start with because I have a minor in Greek, and believe me, I'll be wading my way through the names too. :)

-R
ianish

Post by ianish »

Thanks to both Chris and Randomdad. Gradually getting a handle on the pronunciation. Many of the names are familiar, both those that are not need a bit of thought before facing them "on Record."

Also finding that breaking the long sentences down, (I actually give paragraph breaks between phrases on the screen), really useful, noting places were intonation and modulation can be used to give the long, and often loose sentences greater cohesion when listened to. Mr. Crowley's is not always the most mellifluous prose style, and I sometimes fine it needs a few reads through to find out where the breaks must come to best convey the sense. This has helped me a good deal, so I just put it out there for reference.
rfrancis

Post by rfrancis »

Okay, I've got a chapter of reading done (done reading, I mean; lots of editing work ahead.) And now that I've done that... anyone want to take book 4 off my hands? :) Seriously, I had no idea how big a bite I was going after; I'm happy to finish this chapter up and do the other two chapters of book 3, but I think beyond that might be a little too ambitious for me. Anyone really wishing they'd gotten in on this one? :)

-R