Wondering about the mix of nationalities on Librivox

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Happisburgh

Post by Happisburgh »

It passed through my mind to wonder what the proportions of different nationalities was here. Is there a statistic that explores this? Is it possible to tell? I believe the forum is based in the States? I would guess the majority of participants are therefore American (?) and - for no reason at all - I wondered about the numbers of members from other countries.

Tricia
~++~ "You can never get a cup of tea large enough, nor a book long enough, to suit me" C.S. Lewis ~++~
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

I'm not sure about if we have any statistics exactly like what your saying, but we do have languages statistics, and a reader accent table.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We don't know. We don't ask people where they come from, or their age , or the colour of their skin or their religion . Some chose to display their country, some don't. Yes it is hosted in the USA and probably has more USA members than anywhere else. And as our files are hosted in the USA we need to follow USA public domain rules, but it was started by a Canadian :D

Anne
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Where I used to work we would sometimes look at our web page statistics to find information on what was happening on our site. It gave statistics such as how many hits the site had in a certain time period, as well as which countries were looking at the site. I assume that same information is available to webmasters on any web site.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I assumed the question was about members ? My answer was anyhow - sorry if it was wrong .

Anne
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

annise wrote:I assumed the question was about members ? My answer was anyhow - sorry if it was wrong .

Anne
I was thinking about people who post on the forums. I think it would be interesting to see the different countries the postings come from - or is that from which the postings come? Or is that just, plain nerdy? :?

Cori

Post by Cori »

I'm not sure we could distinguish that easily between visitors and posters ... or that this would not be an invasion of privacy for some users. If people want us to know where they're from, they have it in their profile.

We had a world map thingy going for a while, where people could voluntarily put a pin for their location. I think it got too unwieldy, though, with higher numbers of pinners. In practical terms, this wouldn't help us record books, and might put some people off. So ... best to stick to peering at people's profiles / posts which give a good enough feel for who's here, I think. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't think that statistics in the aggregate would be violating user privacy, but I did a quick look around being an admin on this forum, and I don't see any stats that are accessible to me. Maybe someone with more powers can see something, but I wonder if it's worth it to spend a lot of time searching out the information. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Cori wrote:I'm not sure we could distinguish that easily between visitors and posters ...
What we had at our office was generic. It was pretty much just the number of clicks on the site and countries - 800 from USA, 275 from Canada, 118 from UK, etc.

As you said, people can post their location in their profiles, if they think anyone is interested. That would be nice, so long as they don't get all "Facebooky" on us - So-and-so is at Pizza Hut, So-and-so is at Sears, So-and-so is at Wal-Mart, AAAGGGHHH!!! :roll:

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I really like this being an international site and I actually like talking with people without knowing which little box to put them in :D . I have a country showing mainly so people will not expect me to answer them while I am asleep :D

Anne
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

annise wrote:I really like this being an international site and I actually like talking with people without knowing which little box to put them in :D . I have a country showing mainly so people will not expect me to answer them while I am asleep :D

Anne
LOL! I once posted a question on a forum and went to bed - by morning it had been decided I was a troll for posting and then not responding "all day"! Apparently it never occurred to anyone that I might not be an American! :shock:

I like "accent spotting" around the site - I reckon I can now tell the difference between a Canadian and US English accent!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If I can't quite decide if someone is an American , they are usually Canadian (ducking for cover)

Anne
Happisburgh

Post by Happisburgh »

As we're English, the only way we can tell if somebody on TV is Canadian is when they say "about". :)
~++~ "You can never get a cup of tea large enough, nor a book long enough, to suit me" C.S. Lewis ~++~
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Happisburgh wrote:As we're English, the only way we can tell if somebody on TV is Canadian is when they say "about". :)
And then they are Eastern Canadian so you still won't be able to determine us Western Canadians.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Happisburgh wrote:As we're English, the only way we can tell if somebody on TV is Canadian is when they say "about". :)
What's the difference?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS